Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 394

Thread: Report: Reds Hire Bryan Price

  1. #61
    Member Tom Servo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,555

    Re: Report: Reds Hire Bryan Price

    For what it's worth, Mack Jenkins even retweeted Sheldon's tweet about Price being the new manager. I'd say it's official.

    https://twitter.com/mackjenkins57
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #62
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,186

    Re: Report: Reds Hire Bryan Price

    Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Well... that's encouraging but pretty elliptical.
    Frankly, I think all you've got to do is look at the attention the Reds pitchers have paid to controlling three true outcomes and how the pitchers on the staff have altered their pitch mixes under Price's tutelage in order to figure out that this guy is deeply plugged into the numbers.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  4. Likes:

    membengal (10-22-2013), RedEye (10-22-2013)

  5. #63
    Member VR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    8,588

    Re: Report: Reds Hire Bryan Price

    Just happy it wasn't Riggleman, he was apparently the only other candidate they spoke to.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

  6. Likes:

    Billy Hamilton's Legs (10-21-2013), joshua (10-22-2013)

  7. #64
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,800

    Re: Report: Reds Hire Bryan Price

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Frankly, I think all you've got to do is look at the attention the Reds pitchers have paid to controlling three true outcomes and how the pitchers on the staff have altered their pitch mixes under Price's tutelage in order to figure out that this guy is deeply plugged into the numbers.
    How do we know what attention the Reds pitchers paid to anything? Not sure I get this.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-21-2013 at 11:30 PM.

  8. #65
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,186

    Re: Report: Reds Hire Bryan Price

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    How do we know what attention the Reds pitchers paid to anything?
    I suggest looking at the staff K/BB pre- and post-Price. The Reds have oriented the entire staff around it. I suppose you could pretend the K/BB leap we've seen was an accident, but I know this guy named Occam and he's got a razor that says otherwise.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  9. #66
    Member kbrake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,331

    Re: Report: Reds Hire Bryan Price

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    They're also going to save a fairly significant chunk of change after next season. I expect Price will be working for near bottom-scale salary. I imagine that helped his case tremendously, given that they'll still be paying Baker next year.
    I highly doubt Price had his case helped because he came cheap. I don't know how many contracts Castellini has to give out before people quit acting like Linder still owns the team.

  10. Likes:

    dwyerbrg (10-22-2013), HeatherC1212 (10-22-2013), IslandRed (10-22-2013), redsfandan (10-22-2013), wlf WV (10-22-2013)

  11. #67
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    348

    Re: Report: Reds Hire Bryan Price

    Which coaches would be able to come up and be our new hitting coach? Are there any indications that a former player could come over as our new hitting coach?

    I think pitching coach should not be as big a concern, since the manager (Price) has all final say on what happens with pitching and if it is Jenkins, that transition should be smooth.

  12. #68
    Member SirFelixCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    5,955

    Re: Report: Reds Hire Bryan Price

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    How do we know what attention the Reds pitchers paid to anything? Not sure I get this.
    Ks are way up, BBs way down...and HRs?

  13. #69
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,800

    Re: Report: Reds Hire Bryan Price

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I suggest looking at the staff K/BB pre- and post-Price. The Reds have oriented the entire staff around it. I suppose you could pretend the K/BB leap we've seen was an accident, but I know this guy named Occam and he's got a razor that says otherwise.
    I don't think it takes a particularly modern thinker to train or develop pitchers to strike out more guys and walk fewer hitters. I even think the pitchers could figure that one out themselves.

    The third true outcome is home runs. I guess Bronson Arroyo forgot to attend that day's class.

    I'm sure Price will be fine. Hopefully he will look at traditional stats as well as modern stats. But mostly, hopefully he will make good judgments. That's the most important thing a manager in any line of work can do.

  14. Likes:

    Old school 1983 (10-22-2013)

  15. #70
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    13,451

    Re: Report: Reds Hire Bryan Price

    I had a feeling that Price might be too expensive, while the Reds are paying the last manager. I'm glad the club didn't settle for the low bidder.
    /r/reds

  16. #71
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    10,711

    Re: Report: Reds Hire Bryan Price

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I don't think it takes a particularly modern thinker to train or develop pitchers to strike out more guys and walk fewer hitters. I even think the pitchers could figure that one out themselves.

    The third true outcome is home runs. I guess Bronson Arroyo forgot to attend that day's class.

    I'm sure Price will be fine. Hopefully he will look at traditional stats as well as modern stats. But mostly, hopefully he will make good judgments. That's the most important thing a manager in any line of work can do.
    Pitching coaches aren't judged by their philosophy, as they mostly have the same one. They are judged by how well they communicate it and get pitchers to actually follow it. I'm pretty sure every pitching coach told Homer Bailey the same thing, but for some reason, Price was able to get Homer to listen to it.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  17. Likes:

    Revering4Blue (10-22-2013)

  18. #72
    Member MBZags's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    239

    Re: Report: Reds Hire Bryan Price


  19. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (10-22-2013), Edd Roush (10-22-2013), Gapper (10-22-2013), HeatherC1212 (10-22-2013), Homer Bailey (10-21-2013), kbrake (10-22-2013), RedEye (10-23-2013), RedsManRick (10-22-2013), Yachtzee (10-22-2013)

  20. #73
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,424

    Re: Report: Reds Hire Bryan Price

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    For what it's worth, Mack Jenkins even retweeted Sheldon's tweet about Price being the new manager. I'd say it's official.

    https://twitter.com/mackjenkins57
    Would imagine he'll be the pitching coach.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

  21. #74
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8,050

    Re: Report: Reds Hire Bryan Price

    Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    I had a feeling that Price might be too expensive, while the Reds are paying the last manager. I'm glad the club didn't settle for the low bidder.
    While I doubt they skimped, another poster speculated they will pay him a relatively low amount since this is his first go.

    We'll see.

  22. #75
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,390

    Re: Report: Reds Hire Bryan Price

    Did Jacoby get the boot yet?


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25