Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Report: Reds Hire Bryan Price

Re: Report: Reds Hire Bryan Price

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    The other weird thing to consider is how the common Votto BB or Choo BB/HBP devalues the Hamilton SB.
    its a very interesting thought, but I would think since stolen bases are largely a function into SLG, it wouldn't devalue at all since OBP is more important. regardless, if Hamilton can get on base at anything resembling decent, I think you'll see a noticeable jump in the SLG from 2-3-4 hitters.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    My preferences on #2 hitters:

1. Low DP numbers. Assuming there's some OB coming from the leadoff slot, I don't want my #2 hitter quickly converting that into two outs. I don't really care about "bat control," but I care about that.

2. OB or Power/Speed. Ideally you'd have both. Chase Headley at his peak was pretty much my ideal #2 hitter. However, assuming you can't have everything, then I want one of those two things. The OB is even better if it comes attached to power or speed, but OB is a good thing to have on its own. Sometimes it can be difficult to find OB that doesn't come attached to DPs. Joe Mauer is a case in point. This year he posted a .404 OB with only 7 DPs. That's fantastic. Last year his .416 OB came attached to 23 DPs (which would have been like knocking 37 points off his OB - making the case to hit Mauer at #1 rather than #2).

Of course, most teams don't have the luxury of multiple high OB players to choose from. So if you're sifting through sub-.350 OB options, how do you choose? That's were power/speed comes into play. A guy like Carlos Gomez may not be on as often as others, but he's got TBs in his bat and rocket fuel in his feet. He can make things happen. In a perfect world I'm hitting him 3rd (or lower) behind guys with more OB, but this isn't a perfect world. Gomez certainly would have been a better #2 hitter than Jean Segura last season.
    A lot of great thoughts here, but to the first point, I'd really like to see a breakdown of how much counting two outs for a would affect a players OBP. Probably wouldn't change the number too much, but I'd love to see the "adjusted" OBP numbers for the Reds.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Well, I said "Highest OBP on top of the order, with OPS in the 3rd and 4th"
    That's pretty much what Junkhead said, although his quotes were slightly different and more detailed.

But you said No and condescended like this

Apparently, it is too complicated for you to talk about, or to define what "worse" is.
    I'm lost now. You asked me to define "worst" and I did so. Worst hitters = least productive hitters. Basically, I'm against strategies that put hitters like Corey Patterson, Wily Taveras, Drew Stubbs or Zack Cozart at the top of the lineup. I don't understand what else you are talking about with regard to the other issues. Maybe I missed something.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    No amount of "old school" or "SABR" tweaking is going to create an optimal lineup. There will always be a compromise.
    Even with a lot of bad hitters, there could still theoretically be an "optimal" batting order. It might a terrible lineup -- but you could still strategize about how to make it less awful.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Here's the question I posted on the #MeetBryan thread on FB:

What are your thoughts on "advanced" statistical analysis? How do you envision integrating it into your job as a major league manager?
    Apparently he's going to actually answer some of the questions. We'll see whether mine gets picked.

7. Likes:

joshua (10-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Apparently he's going to actually answer some of the questions. We'll see whether mine gets picked.
    I would hope so, especially when looking at some of the other 'questions' asked by Reds resident Facebook geniuses:

What was you thinking? He comes a dismal season
    Hey Bryan, as you were watching the one game playoff with Pittsburgh, Did it occur to you to have started someone else besides Cueto?
    pitching sucked ,what make you think you can run the whole team
    Why he accepted a job he new he wasn't good enough for #meetbryan #boycot
    Why is the front office stupid enough to hire you as manager?
    Make Chatman a starting pitcher !

Cincinnati Reds I am extremely disappointed with your censorship. As a devoted Red's fan I would like to know why Bryan thinks he can manage a major league club, when he has never managed previously. This is a legitimate question that any true Red's fan would like to have answered. I pay a handsome sum of money every year on Red's tickets and merchandise and quite frankly Bryan's reply can and will, affect my decisions going into 2014. You can better believe that a Red's beat writer will ask Bryan this same question. And rightfully so.
    Why weren't you fired also?!!!!

Now these two actually made me laugh unironically
    What kind of sandwich are you going to make after you fire Brook Jacoby?
    Can you get Skyline to start selling 3 way chili plates and not just coneys?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

9. Likes:

joshua (10-23-2013),mdccclxix (10-23-2013),Wonderful Monds (10-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I would hope so, especially when looking at some of the other 'questions' asked by Reds resident Facebook geniuses:

Quote:
    Make Chatman a starting pitcher !
    Antonio Chatman, not-so-successful wide receiver for the Bengals from a few years ago? Who knew he could pitch?

11. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (10-24-2013),joshua (10-23-2013)

How do you get Reds fans to have a minimal amount of real baseball knowledge? Good luck Bryan Price, hope you have a thick skin.
    This made me laugh and was an oasis in an ocean of idiocy. "DONT TRADE BP HES THE HART AND SOLE OF THE TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

13. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (10-23-2013)

Here is my question:

Bryan - you used the term "statistical analysis" in your opening press conference. Using advanced stats would you say that the combined IQ of the people posting questions on this Facebook page is higher or lower than 38 (your uniform number)? I think lower but I will hang up and await your answer
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

15. Likes:

cincyinco (10-28-2013),joshua (10-23-2013),pahster (10-26-2013),Revering4Blue (10-25-2013),Wonderful Monds (10-23-2013)

Here is a great question from Wilda:

"Are you going to talk to Brandon about at hitting into a double play so many times. He does it at least 1 time a game. He needs to change his stance"
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

- - Fletch

17. Likes:

Tom Servo (10-23-2013)

This is from Alex (he knows exactly what we need!!! - oh, and CAPS are his, not mine. When you have something important to say Alex knows you say it in CAPS):

" line up: 1- HAMILTON CF 2-B. PHILLIPS 2B 3-J. VOTTO 1B 4-J. WILLINGHAM LF 5- J. BRUCE RF 6- T. FRAZIER 3B 7-D.MESORRACO C 8- Z. COZZART SS 9-PITCHER PLEEASE TRADE BAILEY AND LUDWICK TO MINNESOTA FOR WILLINGHAM.PLEASEEEEEEEE CASTELLINI FORGET THE SLAP IN THE FACE COMMENT BY DAD DUDE. HE IS THE BEST PLAYER OF THIS TEAM
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

- - Fletch

19. Likes:

TRF (10-25-2013)

If you could talk to Bo Diaz, what would you say to him? #RIPBODIAZ
    More than any other question, this is the one I want him to answer.

If he hasn't thought long and hard for days on end about what he'd say to Bo Diaz, then he has no business being manager.

21. Likes:

Caveat Emperor (10-23-2013),Chip R (10-24-2013),pahster (10-26-2013),RedEye (10-23-2013),RichRed (10-23-2013),Superdude (10-25-2013),Tom Servo (10-23-2013),TRF (10-25-2013),Wonderful Monds (10-23-2013)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    This is from Alex (he knows exactly what we need!!! - oh, and CAPS are his, not mine. When you have something important to say Alex knows you say it in CAPS):

" line up: 1- HAMILTON CF 2-B. PHILLIPS 2B 3-J. VOTTO 1B 4-J. WILLINGHAM LF 5- J. BRUCE RF 6- T. FRAZIER 3B 7-D.MESORRACO C 8- Z. COZZART SS 9-PITCHER PLEEASE TRADE BAILEY AND LUDWICK TO MINNESOTA FOR WILLINGHAM.PLEASEEEEEEEE CASTELLINI FORGET THE SLAP IN THE FACE COMMENT BY DAD DUDE. HE IS THE BEST PLAYER OF THIS TEAM
    Dad Dude

Here is a great question from Wilda:

"Are you going to talk to Brandon about at hitting into a double play so many times. He does it at least 1 time a game. He needs to change his stance"
    I disagree with Wilda there. I think he needs to change his attitude -- which is totally a "double play" attitude.

24. Likes:

Ravenlord (10-24-2013)

" line up: 1- HAMILTON CF 2-B. PHILLIPS 2B 3-J. VOTTO 1B 4-J. WILLINGHAM LF 5- J. BRUCE RF 6- T. FRAZIER 3B 7-D.MESORRACO C 8- Z. COZZART SS 9-PITCHER
    Alex could be onto something. Cozart would likely breakout as an All-Star caliber player if he only added a second z to his name.

26. Likes:

Larkin Fan (10-24-2013),Old school 1983 (10-26-2013),RedEye (10-24-2013)

Turn Off Ads?