Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Re: Report: Reds Hire Bryan Price

Jocketty on Price:

"He has proven himself to be an excellent communicator and leader and clearly is one of the most respected people not only in our clubhouse but in baseball in general."

Sounds good to me. Now let's shore up the lineup holes and hibernate til March.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

4. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (10-22-2013)

Just saw on the Louisville Bats' Twitter feed that Price is getting a 3 year contract.
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

6. Likes:

Raisor (10-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Maybe we'll finally see Chapman in the rotation. Price was an advocate for it last year, when Dusty was not.
    Is this a verifiable fact or just more speculation? I keep hearing it here but have never actually read any quotes from Price to convince me of it.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Is this a verifiable fact or just more speculation? I keep hearing it here but have never actually read any quotes from Price to convince me of it.
    Too soon to tell. It was rumored that Walt wanted it to happen, until Dusty got Chapman to say publicly that he preferred closing. It wouldn't have been politic for Price to publicly disagree with his manager and AFAIK, he was never quoted in the media about his intentions if he were to become manager.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Per Lance McAlister ...

I can't forget the conversation I had with Price during spring training and the Aroldis Chapman "experiment". Bryan told me the only way for Chapman to fully develop as a pitcher was to pitch, and pitch, to throw starter innings, not reliever innings.
    http://www.espn1530.com/pages/lances...#ixzz2iSqPHK9W

10. Likes:

RedEye (10-22-2013),Unassisted (10-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    That's all theory. We don't know who will be or will not be on his coaching staff. I'm sure we will know more when they have the press conference to announce his hiring.
    Everything about Price as a manager right now is just theory. I like the hire, but what they do with player personnel is going to be much more important to this team's near future. I like the hire on the basis of continuity more than anything.

12. Likes:

Old school 1983 (10-22-2013),RedEye (10-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I hope the staff doesn't suffer, but Price was gonna grab a managing gig somewhere.

I'm onboard.
    I'd be surprised if Mack Jenkins isn't named pitching coach. They've worked together well and are philosophically akin, so I'd expect an easy transition. Besides, I'd expect Price to still have imput. I'm more interested to see who he taps as hitting coach.

I like the hire, but if he were to keep Jacoby I might re-think that. Seeing as how Dusty's firing allegedly happened because he went to bat for Brooks, I would say that management has probably already insured that won't happen though.

Also this article from spring training.

http://espn.go.com/blog/spring-train...-starting-role

General manager Walt Jocketty and pitching coach Bryan Price have endorsed the transition, under the thinking that Chapman has considerable upside as a pitcher and will ultimately be more valuable throwing 200-plus innings a year as a starter rather than 70 in the bullpen. They're convinced that's true even if 140-150 innings might be the best they can hope for this season.

Reds manager Dusty Baker … not so much. Conventional wisdom is that Baker preferred the old system because it was so comforting to hand the ball to Chapman in the ninth inning, watch him flirt with triple digits or surpass it and know that within a matter of minutes, he was almost certain to be shaking hands with catcher Ryan Hanigan or Devin Mesoraco.

Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    Per Lance McAlister ...

"I can't forget the conversation I had with Price during spring training and the Aroldis Chapman "experiment". Bryan told me the only way for Chapman to fully develop as a pitcher was to pitch, and pitch, to throw starter innings, not reliever innings."

http://www.espn1530.com/pages/lancesBlog.html#ixzz2iSqPHK9W"
    That just sounds like a generic comment you can say about any pitcher. It doesn't tell me that Price was against Chapman as the closer in the season of 2013.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I imagine we'll see Riggleman as the bench coach (if he wants it), Berry, Jenkins as pitching coach. I imagine he'll get to bring in some of his own choosing, too.
    Like Riggleman as bench coach, but no Berry for me. Thanks.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Are there managers who actually do rank as a material upgrade? I mean, given all the uncertainty about what difference they actually make?
    Many spent all summer complaining about the lineup and now the guy who makes it doesn't matter?

18. Likes:

BurgervilleBuck (10-22-2013),jimbo (10-22-2013),REDREAD (10-22-2013),TSJ55 (10-22-2013)

Just saw on the Louisville Bats' Twitter feed that Price is getting a 3 year contract.
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

Anyone know of a link that will carry a live stream of the presser?
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Your previous post suggested that Arroyo's home run rate has undergone some kind of transformation under Price.
    No, I said something explicitly different from that. I suggest you go back and re-read it.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?