Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Report: Reds Hire Bryan Price

Re: Report: Reds Hire Bryan Price

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    According to Reds' Twitter feed, 3 p.m. They had this quote from Jocketty:

"I have spent a lot of time with Bryan since the season ended, and I was convinced after the first meeting..."
    Here is video of the meeting:

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Many spent all summer complaining about the lineup and now the guy who makes it doesn't matter?
    I'm not saying it doesn't matter. I was just responding to the comment that Price was not a "material upgrade" from Dusty. I actually think a large part of the manager's role is just not to do stupid stuff. But that's from another thread.

ctrent ‏@ctrent 25m
    Just talked to Jay Bruce, who is extremely excited about Bryan Price's hiring by the #Reds

5. Likes:

dubc47834 (10-22-2013),Edd Roush (10-22-2013),Gallen5862 (10-22-2013),Gapper (10-22-2013),HeatherC1212 (10-22-2013),malcontent (10-22-2013),NebraskaRed (10-22-2013),powersackers (10-22-2013),Tom Servo (10-22-2013),WildcatFan (10-22-2013)

It seems that players are more excited at the prospect of Price being manager than they were sad that Dusty got fired.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

7. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (10-22-2013),oregonred (10-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    It seems that players are more excited at the prospect of Price being manager than they were sad that Dusty got fired.
    I think you're seeing what you want to see there. There's no indication that's true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

9. Likes:

Big Klu (10-22-2013),jimbo (10-22-2013),westofyou (10-22-2013)

Schnickelfritz

Quote Originally Posted by Carin4Narron View Post
    he probably will keep some of the staff, i.e. Berry, the worse 3rd base coach in the history of the game.
    How much of a PR disaster would it be if the Reds fired a guy who just beat cancer?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    Anyone know of a link that will carry a live stream of the presser?
    Reds.com will likely carry it

I'm generally happy with this hire although I'll admit I'm more excited about Dusty being gone.

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

13. Likes:

Edd Roush (10-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I think you're seeing what you want to see there. There's no indication that's true.
    The words were carefully chosen, but I didn't think any Red came out saying Bakers' firing was a mistake. They seemed to say they liked Dusty and it was too bad.

For Price, at least the pitchers seem to be turning cartwheels. And now with Bruce saying this, it seems Price's hiring is being met positively by position players.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I'm happy with this hire. I think Price will do well in his new role. I just hope that the front office gives him the additional resources he needs to do his job well and doesn't stand pat.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    Just saw on the Louisville Bats' Twitter feed that Price is getting a 3 year contract.
    That's pretty standard

17. Likes:

Chip R (10-22-2013)

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...h-bryan-price/

“It’s very similar to what everyone else talks about: Being aggressive, working ahead and staying ahead in the count, composure, preparation and accountability,” he said. “The last one is the hardest. When you don’t succeed, it’s hard to own your own failure and not look for other places to blame.

“That’s real hard. Character is hard to find. We really try to make sure the starters understand their obligation to pitch innings. That’s one thing we’ve impressed upon them wherever we’ve been. Relief guys aren’t supposed to be in 80 games a year. And when they are, it’s because the starting rotation isn’t getting the job done.”

“Bryan is a great communicator,” Bailey said. “In communication, there’s two parts — give and take. He’s probably one of the very, very best at that. Another thing about him — I wish more people in this world were like this — but he sees the problem and he addresses the problem. There’s not a whole lot of guessing. He’s very hard-working.

“There was never a time when we went in meeting and you came out uncertain.”

I get the eventual blame or credit,” Baker said. “But usually, it’s a decision both of us made. Sometimes, I supersede. But I depend on my coaches. I don’t think you’re a good manager when you micromanage.”

The final calls are Baker’s. The two don’t always agree.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    That could be. Sometimes when a beloved manager is fired there is a lot of gnashing of teeth and crying about the firing. Especially a manager who was supposedly as popular with the players as Dusty was. But they kind of had the same reaction that I did: That's too bad but we're moving on. Arroyo and Bruce seem to be very big fans of Price.

This is not necessarily an indictment on Dusty but perhaps the players are welcoming the change.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

20. Likes:

Larkin Fan (10-22-2013)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BurgervilleBuck View Post
    How much of a PR disaster would it be if the Reds fired a guy who just beat cancer?
    Good point. I don't see it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Good point. I don't see it happening.
    I have no opinion on Berry, but they could always move him into the front office to count paper clips.

Turn Off Ads?