Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Report: Reds Hire Bryan Price

Re: Report: Reds Hire Bryan Price

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Eh, we all get a little grizzled as we age - Dusty didn't always look so worn.

I had no idea that a young Tracy Morgan played for the Braves.

2. Likes:

Billy Hamilton's Legs (10-22-2013), Chip R (10-22-2013), HeatherC1212 (10-22-2013), Larkin Fan (10-22-2013), mattfeet (10-22-2013), Red in Chicago (10-22-2013), RedEye (10-23-2013), TOBTTReds (10-22-2013), Tom Servo (10-22-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    I had no idea that a young Tracy Morgan played for the Braves.
    That's it! I knew he reminded me of some actor, but I couldn't think of who it was.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

That's it! I knew he reminded me of some actor, but I couldn't think of who it was.
    I'd still take Price over Baker--Price has great eyes and I've always been a sucker for a guy with pretty eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire123 View Post
    I'd still take Price over Baker--Price has great eyes and I've always been a sucker for a guy with pretty eyes.
    But that tie...
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Ah yes, the post-coital glow of the honeymoon.

Pay attention to the open sky

8. Likes:

TSJ55 (10-22-2013)

There's something about Price that makes me think this is a very significant day for the modern-day Reds. I have no objective analysis that leads me to believe he's going to be a great manager, so this belief is entirely subjective. He just has some quality about him that I can't really articulate. The best analogy I can draw is in the business world when you meet someone that has the ever elusive "presence" about him/her that you know almost immediately they are going to be incredibly successful. Whenever I've seen Price in the dugout or at the mound interacting with players, he has that presence about him. If you've read Blink you'll understand what I'm talking about (it's a very thin slice). John Farrell has this too, IMO. Price reminds me of him.

I will admit that I've always been biased towards the smart, cerebral-type in just about everything from the athletes I've liked the most (Rolen, Larkin) to the people I'm drawn to the most in the world overall. But I also know enough to know that smarts won't make someone a good coach or manager. Smarts at the expense of intuition can be a pretty bad combination. Plenty of really intelligent people have failed miserably in roles that require people leadership. But I don't think Price is one of those guys.

I really think the Reds may have just made one of the best decisions they've ever made.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

10. Likes:

Brutus (10-22-2013), CarolinaRedleg (10-22-2013), Chip R (10-22-2013), Chuckie (10-22-2013), Cyclone792 (10-22-2013), Edd Roush (10-22-2013), HeatherC1212 (10-23-2013), Larkin Fan (10-22-2013), membengal (10-22-2013), Mitri (10-22-2013), Revering4Blue (10-23-2013), RichRed (10-22-2013), Roy Tucker (10-22-2013), Slyder (10-22-2013), Tom Servo (10-22-2013), Tommyjohn25 (10-23-2013), wheels (10-22-2013)

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

•The Dodgers have fired bench coach Trey Hillman and advanced scout Wade Taylor, according to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports (on Twitter). Both were close with manager Don Mattingly, who said at a press conference yesterday that his return in 2014 wasn't a guarantee just because his option vested and added that he wanted his entire coaching staff to return in 2014. The dismissal of Hillman and Taylor figures to add to the tension between Mattingly and the Dodgers brass.

Should the Reds consider hiring either Trey Hillman or Wade Taylor?

Eh, we all get a little grizzled as we age - Dusty didn't always look so worn.

That can't be Dusty. No wristbands or toothpick.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

14. Likes:

redsmetz (10-22-2013)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I have no opinion on Berry, but they could always move him into the front office to count paper clips.
    Accurately? I'm pretty sure he'd deliver the results late or incorrectly. Or maybe he'd just send all the results home. :O)
    Chapman to the rotation!!!! Do it already!!!!

16. Likes:

cincyinco (10-23-2013)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    Not to be a downer but batting average and RBi's are statistical analysis. It is all about what numbers he wants to look at. Of course all managers are using stats.
    I thought he seemed less into the numbers than some would like to hear.
    I would imagine, that most managers think that their first goal is to manage people...not numbers. (don't take that the wrong way...the numbers are important, but I think you've got to manage the individuals first)
    Chapman to the rotation!!!! Do it already!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I would imagine, that most managers think that their first goal is to manage people...not numbers. (don't take that the wrong way...the numbers are important, but I think you've got to manage the individuals first)
    I would completely agree. I'm a "stats guy", but realize that the manager has a unique perspective that no fan has. He actually knows the players and interacts with them. That perspective gives him the ability to manage the individual, as well as their strengths and weaknesses, while considering the numbers as well.

My guess is that the Price hire will either work out or it won't. But the overwhelming odds are that he'll end up being fired.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

20. Likes:

REDREAD (10-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    My guess is that the Price hire will either work out or it won't. But the overwhelming odds are that he'll end up being fired.
    Going out on a limb there, aren't ya?

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Since 13 of the 15 NL jobs have turned over since mid-2010 that is a safe bet...

Turn Off Ads?