Turn Off Ads?
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Report: Reds Hire Bryan Price

Re: Report: Reds Hire Bryan Price

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    This, in a nutshell, is probably why pitching coaches have rarely made the transition to manager.

Pitching coaches are, by nature, micromanagers. They focus on little things in the delivery and the little details of scouting reports. Their world consists of hand motions, leg kicks, and release points.

My main worry with Price, as a former pitching coach, is that there DOES occasionally need to be a mentality of "we've got 161 more of these left to play" when you're talking about being responsible for hitting and fielding issues (things that don't get fixed with a mechanical tweak or an extra bullpen session) as well.

I'm confident, though, that a guy as smart as he seems should be able to understand this difference.

Price did address this issue in some of the videos posted, talking about the grind on everyday players, and the use of the bench in helping them through that, mentally and physically.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    Price did address this issue in some of the videos posted, talking about the grind on everyday players, and the use of the bench in helping them through that, mentally and physically.
    This is something Price probably learned very well from Dusty over the past few years. Although I wasn't always crazy about when Dusty decided to sit guys, I think he did generally a great job keeping his regulars fresh.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    This is something Price probably learned very well from Dusty over the past few years. Although I wasn't always crazy about when Dusty decided to sit guys, I think he did generally a great job keeping his regulars fresh.
    Dusty didn't get fired for his decisions. In the end he got fired for stuff completely out of his control-how his players played.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Not sure if this has been posted already. Price shirts are now out.

http://shrsl.com/?~4do6
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Dusty didn't get fired for his decisions. In the end he got fired for stuff completely out of his control-how his players played.
    I think there is evidence that points to the situation being a lot more complex than that.

There is always the headline reason such as "team tanked in the last week", but there's normally a whole lot of other underlying causes. (situation with coaches, relationship with GM, owner and players, etc., etc., etc. lineups, etc, etc).

I wouldn't be surprised if Cast and Jock were just waiting for a good opportunity to let Baker go.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

7. Likes:

757690 (10-26-2013),goreds2 (10-26-2013)

I wasn't claiming that. I was just pointing out that he did a good job keeping the regulars fresh.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I think the only thing we know so far about Price in this role is that he says a lot of what people want to hear. Execution is the other 99%.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I wasn't claiming that. I was just pointing out that he did a good job keeping the regulars fresh.
    I dont think I meant to quote your post. Raisor must be doing more mind control experiments.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

11. Likes:

Raisor (10-26-2013),RedEye (10-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Not sure if this has been posted already. Price shirts are now out.

http://shrsl.com/?~4do6
    Bryan's Song? Life of Bryan? I'm not buying til they come up with a better name pun shirt.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    I'm just going to make an observation, and it's something I've noticed with the Reds fan base since I can remember. It seems that once a player signs a long term, high salaried contract, no matter who that player is, there is a certain segment of the fan base that automatically just turns on that player.

In 2009, Joey Votto made barely over $437,000. Still lots of money by "regular people" standards, but pocket change for big league stars. He hits the field and puts up a 156 OPS+ for the Reds, blossoming into their best star player and not a single Reds fan had anything negative to say about him. Whenever he'd come up to the plate in a big situation, the ovations were loud and thunderous. Sometimes he'd come through, and GABP would explode. Sometimes he wouldn't come through, and fans reacted with in an "aw shucks" kind of manner.

The following season, 2010, is much the same, except the ovations are even louder. Votto has a bit better season, he leads the Reds to their first playoff appearance in 15 years and he couldn't do a thing wrong.

Fast forward to 2013. He puts up the second highest on-base percentage of his career. His OPS+ of 154 is nearly identical to his 2009 figure. Not to mention he played in all 162 games and piled up 726 plate appearances. Just absolutely loads of production. You could say his power numbers are down, but I'll counter that offensive production is down across the league. You don't produce in a vacuum - you produce relative to your peers. Joey Votto in 2013, despite being blasted by a segment of the media and fan base, was a more productive hitter than Joey Votto in 2009 when he couldn't do a thing wrong.

But the only difference is a big contract with a lot more money. That's it. Now suddenly if he isn't money each and every plate appearance, he hears the wrath. The same thing has happened to other players. Once they get that contract and the high salary, certain segments of the media and fan base suddenly turn on the player. They're suddenly expected to be invincible, better than they ever were. They get blasted for being the same exact player and person that they were four years previously when no one batted an eye.

I know what the argument is: well he makes all this money so he should change, blah blah blah. That's hogwash, and we all know it. Let a star player who produces much the same as he's always produced be, and let that same guy be the same guy off the field that he's always been. Money or a big contract shouldn't change any of that.

Sometimes I wonder if certain Reds fans and certain members of the media wished that Votto would have just walked out the door via free agency. Maybe that's what Shin Soo Choo and Homer Bailey really need to do too. Because it's an absolute guarantee that if they stick around with a big time contract, the howling about their shortcomings and bad stretches in upcoming seasons will reach an all-time high.

Some people in the Reds media and some Reds fans just need to get over themselves.
    This post deserves to be read again by everyone on here.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

14. Likes:

jimbo (10-26-2013),joshua (10-26-2013),Larkin Fan (10-30-2013),The Operator (10-29-2013)

If it was completely out of his control then managers would not be considered good or bad, just there to fill out a lineup card. Same as management in a business, you are responsible for the performance of your people. If they are under performing you need to figure out why and a way to fix it.

Dusty dug his own grave because the expectations had risen and he didn't live up to them.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    This, in a nutshell, is probably why pitching coaches have rarely made the transition to manager.

Pitching coaches are, by nature, micromanagers. They focus on little things in the delivery and the little details of scouting reports. Their world consists of hand motions, leg kicks, and release points.

My main worry with Price, as a former pitching coach, is that there DOES occasionally need to be a mentality of "we've got 161 more of these left to play" when you're talking about being responsible for hitting and fielding issues (things that don't get fixed with a mechanical tweak or an extra bullpen session) as well.

I'm confident, though, that a guy as smart as he seems should be able to understand this difference.
    I'd say if you know this, Price knows this.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    I'd say if you know this, Price knows this.
    I don't think you can assume he does know this. Some people are like the hammers who only see the world as nails. Never assume self-awareness.

18. Likes:

mattfeet (10-29-2013)

Great hire, probably one of the best moves this administration has done, not much else to say about it. Just hope we can fill his former position with someone even close to as good.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

More in depth stuff on Aroldis and Phillips from Bryan Price. All positive stuff:

https://soundcloud.com/siriusxmsport...rice-on-future

Sounds like he'd prefer keeping Phillips. Of course that would involve Phillips following the new team concept.

Turn Off Ads?