Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Report: Reds Hire Bryan Price

Re: Report: Reds Hire Bryan Price

It is a good hire. I am really glad they went with Price. Good time to get this done with another manager's job opening in Detroit.

2. Turn Off Ads?

If Price is not allowed to replace Jacoby, I will not be happy!!

Paul O'Neill might make a good hitting coach.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

5. Likes:

757690 (10-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I suggest looking at the staff K/BB pre- and post-Price. The Reds have oriented the entire staff around it. I suppose you could pretend the K/BB leap we've seen was an accident, but I know this guy named Occam and he's got a razor that says otherwise.
    Teach a guy with Homer Bailey's arm how to pitch and he's naturally going to strikeout more batters and have better control. That doesn't say much of anything about Price's feelings towards modern stats IMO.

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

I was cut of the "I'd like to give serious consideration to Martinez from Tampa, but Price is fine with me" jib. So I'll take this.

This means there will be a nice amount of continuity heading into 2014... I can only hope the Reds take advantage of that by completely overhauling the rest of the coaching staff with Best Available (after a thorough search outside the organization). Jacoby must go, in no uncertain terms, and I have heard nothing to suggest Mack Jenkins is the answer to anything other than a question nobody asked.

Oh, and also: players. We need good players, too.

Rick

8. Likes:

Edd Roush (10-22-2013)

I was on the fence regarding the Baker firing. Regardless (for the most part) of who is the manager, it will be tough sledding to catch STL or PIT if we don't get a few hitters. The manager can only use what he is given. I still blame many of the 2013 problems on the failure to address them during the season by the front office.

10. Likes:

dubc47834 (10-22-2013)

I am very glad the Reds hired Bryan Price as manager. Good job!

Now the pressure is on Walt Jocketty to improve the talent level of Price's roster...

Wow! What a shock.

Said nobody ever.

Can't wait to see who else is on the new staff. I'm hoping for Rolen in some capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

13. Likes:

foxfire123 (10-22-2013)

This will help me sleep easier tonight.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I don't think it takes a particularly modern thinker to train or develop pitchers to strike out more guys and walk fewer hitters. I even think the pitchers could figure that one out themselves.

The third true outcome is home runs. I guess Bronson Arroyo forgot to attend that day's class.

I'm sure Price will be fine. Hopefully he will look at traditional stats as well as modern stats. But mostly, hopefully he will make good judgments. That's the most important thing a manager in any line of work can do.
    If it doesn't take a modern thinker and everyone knows it, then why are the Reds so far ahead of the curve when it comes to K/BB? Price has been transformative when it comes to pitchers and K/BB (Exhibit A - Homer Bailey).

Arroyo is always going to give up some longballs, but the change in his repertoire turned his 2011 HR/9 into an anomaly. And check out his K/BB the past two seasons (Exhibit B). It's like someone made it clear he had to get a lot better in that department in order to diminish the damage caused by his HR rate.

Also note the team HR allowed totals since Price arrived. I'd say they've done pretty well taming that outcome.

Anyway, I've been of the opinion that Price's stats leanings are as obvious as a punch to the face. When you dig into what the staff and individual pitchers are doing either someone's attuned to the numbers or we are witnessing a spectacularly bizarre coincidence.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

If it doesn't take a modern thinker and everyone knows it, then why are the Reds so far ahead of the curve when it comes to K/BB? Price has been transformative when it comes to pitchers and K/BB (Exhibit A - Homer Bailey).

Arroyo is always going to give up some longballs, but the change in his repertoire turned his 2011 HR/9 into an anomaly. And check out his K/BB the past two seasons (Exhibit B). It's like someone made it clear he had to get a lot better in that department in order to diminish the damage caused by his HR rate.

Also note the team HR allowed totals since Price arrived. I'd say they've done pretty well taming that outcome.

Anyway, I've been of the opinion that Price's stats leanings are as obvious as a punch to the face. When you dig into what the staff and individual pitchers are doing either someone's attuned to the numbers or we are witnessing a spectacularly bizarre coincidence.
    The only thing that is obvious is that the Reds have better pitchers than before and that Price has done a good job with them. I don't think we can attribute any particular "school of thought" to him and all I've heard in this regard is rank speculation.

My hope for Price is not that he is some sabermetrics zealot but simply that he is has good baseball knowledge, which seems evident, and uses good sense and judgment in managing the ballclub.

P.S. Arroyo allowed more homers than any other NL pitcher this season.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-22-2013 at 12:48 AM.

17. Likes:

mth123 (10-22-2013),Old school 1983 (10-22-2013),TSJ55 (10-22-2013)

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    It is a good hire. I am really glad they went with Price. Good time to get this done with another manager's job opening in Detroit.
    Yep, three plum openings in DC, Detroit and Cincinnati (maybe soon LA too). Will be very interested to see how the coaching staff fills out. Extremely happy to have Price kept in the organization.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Hiring my dog would have made the team more SABR than Baker.
    Or either one of my cats.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

I'm okay with this, but I hope there are wholesale coaching changes. And there needs to be some changes in the player personnel. If I read the tea leaves, Hoomer and Phillips are gone, but we get back is most important. Regardless, it's something to talk about over the winter. I just hope the moves are offensive instead of more pitching. We've seen how that works.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

21. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-22-2013)

If all it took was a modern thinker, everyone would be Clayon Kershaw. K/BB is a product of good pitching.

On a general note though, everything seems to point to Price being a fairly progressive, open-minded thinker.
    Last edited by Superdude; 10-22-2013 at 01:05 AM.

Turn Off Ads?