Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Report: Reds Hire Bryan Price

Re: Report: Reds Hire Bryan Price

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Happy with the Price hire - I think it's probably the best Reds managerial hire since Davey 20 years ago. I also suspect he'll work alongside Jocketty with roster construction far better than Dusty would have.
    This.

I am more confident now that the manger and the GM will be in synch.

Plus, Price already has the built-in respect of this clubhouse, so that's not a bad thing.

Glad they made the obvious hire, hope it works out.

2. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (10-22-2013),joshua (10-22-2013),mbgrayson (10-22-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Haven't read all 9 pages, so apologies if this has been touched on.

Does the timing have anything to do with Leland's announcing his retirement? I hope they didn't rush the process becasue they didn't want Detroid to talk to Price.

I think not; I beleive Price was the guy all along, but the timing is curious.
    Sto Pro Veritate

Quote Originally Posted by Girevik View Post
    Haven't read all 9 pages, so apologies if this has been touched on.

Does the timing have anything to do with Leland's announcing his retirement? I hope they didn't rush the process becasue they didn't want Detroid to talk to Price.

I think not; I beleive Price was the guy all along, but the timing is curious.
    I think the timing had more to do with the fact that they aren't supposed to make announcements during the World Series which starts tomorrow.
    Where we gonna go?

Players all have walk-out music nowadays. Can the Reds play this every time Price leaves the dugout?

You make up your mind, you choose the chance you take
    You ride to where the highway ends and the desert breaks
    Out on to an open road you ride until the day
    You learn to sleep at night with the price you pay

CHORUS
    Oh, the price you pay, oh, the price you pay
    Now you can't walk away from the price you pay

Now they'd come so far and they'd waited so long
    Just to end up caught in a dream where everything goes wrong
    Where the dark of night holds back the light of day
    And you've gotta stand and fight for the price you pay

CHORUS

Little girl down on the strand
    With that pretty little baby in your hands
    Do you remember the story of the promised land
    How he crossed the desert sands
    And could not enter the chosen land
    On the banks of the river he stayed
    To face the price you pay

So let the games start, you better run you little wild heart
    You can run through all the nights and all the days
    But just across the county line, a stranger passing through put up a sign
    That counts the men fallen away to the price you pay,
    and girl before the end of the day,
    I'm gonna tear it down and throw it away
    Last edited by klw; 10-22-2013 at 08:36 AM.

7. Likes:

VottoFan54 (10-22-2013)

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Scott Rolen, Paul O'Neill, Eric Davis, or Barry Larkin to be anything other than special instructors for spring training.

Being a full time coach in the major leagues has all the downsides they had to deal with as a player, and almost none of the upsides. It's a little different if you're the manager, but it's rare for a superstar player to accept a less glorious position than manager.

Now some guys just can't get away from the game. Even the broadcasting every day(O'Neill) or frequent analysis(Larkin) may not be enough.

But basically, the players make a deal with their families that they will be away from home for long portions of time and fully committed to the game for 10-15 years. In the process, they make themselves wealthy enough that they don't have to do it after the 10-15 years.

To give that up for a job that isn't particularly fun, and where adulation will only come from remembering what the former player used to be, it's just not a worthwhile investment for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

9. Likes:

joshua (10-22-2013)

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I love this hire and I think Bryan Price will do a great job. I've spoken to him twice and came away impressed with his poise and intelligence both times. I'm thrilled for him.

BTW-If we go with "The Price is Right" for all this news, does this mean we get to play Plinko somehow??! LOL

"I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

11. Likes:

Chip R (10-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    I love this hire and I think Bryan Price will do a great job. I've spoken to him twice and came away impressed with his poise and intelligence both times. I'm thrilled for him.

BTW-If we go with "The Price is Right" for all this news, does this mean we get to play Plinko somehow??! LOL

Yes! Love Plinko.

So if the Reds mess up a play - hit and run, sac bunt, caught stealing, etc - should they play the sad trombone after that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

13. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (10-22-2013)

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Yes! Love Plinko.

So if the Reds mess up a play - hit and run, sac bunt, caught stealing, etc - should they play the sad trombone after that?
    HAHA, that would be hilariously awesome. I wouldn't put that past the music people at GABP either with how amusing some of their choices were this year, LOL
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Great hire.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    So is Mack Jenkins going to be the new pitching coach or will it be an outside hire?
    I'd be SHOCKED if it was Jenkins. From what I'm aware of, he's not much more than a video coordinator.

to quote adam sandler, the price is wrong -----! things won't change!

Quote Originally Posted by Carin4Narron View Post
    to quote adam sandler, the price is wrong -----! things won't change!
    Care to elaborate?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Btw...this is from Team Clark about Jenkins and Power. I want to see an outside hire for pitching coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    I have worked with Jenkins and I can tell you as sure as I'm sitting here typing that he is not the answer. I need a Thesaurus to come up with more words to describe how poor of a pitching coach he truly is. He's "ok" with the computer and video work but only to a certain extent. He's a poster boy for "those who come cheap get the job."

Ted Power is only nominally better. I taught right next to Ted for 2 years. Every once in awhile someone has a good comment in the paper but there is a darn good reason he's not been considered for ANY of the pitching coach jobs available in the Major Leagues the last 4-6 years.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Maybe we'll finally see Chapman in the rotation. Price was an advocate for it last year, when Dusty was not.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Care to elaborate?
    he probably will keep some of the staff, i.e. Berry, the worse 3rd base coach in the history of the game. Hatcher and Berry were named from a previous staff to Dusty's staff. Let's face it, the coaching staff is apart of the problem. Riggleman probably will be the bench coach. Isn't that a weak move? The Reds didn't even try to think out of box. They settled!

Turn Off Ads?