Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Price our new Manager

Price our new Manager

Not sure what to think. He did a good job with the pitchers.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Price our new Manager

I am all on board. First they lose his services altogether without this hire. He is just too good a baseball man not to give him this shot. Otherwise he is in Seattle or Detroit. He has the trust and support of the players - they know and trust him. No time spent getting the team on board. He knows everyone, the talent he has to work with and he is Jocketty's man, so finally Walt has a manager he can work with not against. He seems to be SABr friendly by all accounts, or maybe aware is a better word. We'll have to wait and see but maybe the days of .265 OBP guys batting second are at least behind us.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

4. Likes:

PaulyOH (10-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I am all on board. First they lose his services altogether without this hire. He is just too good a baseball man not to give him this shot. Otherwise he is in Seattle or Detroit.
    Agreed. The team would have "lost" a pitching coach either way. Better to still have that influence across the dugout rather than across the country in another uniform.

We'll have to wait and see but maybe the days of .265 OBP guys batting second are at least behind us
    One can hope.....
    "I hate most people"

I'm quite happy with this move. Price is well-regarded, and I guarantee he would be managing somewhere else next year if the Reds hadn't hired him.

Now I'm interested to see how the rest of the coaching staff is filled out. My guess is Mack Jenkins will be promoted to pitching coach from the assistant slot. Also, I think Chris Speier, Brook Jacoby and Porky Lopez are all gone, as they were Dusty's guys. Would the Reds name Riggleman the bench coach?

Getting Price was the easy part, now "whom" is on his staff, what happens at 2nd Base, CF and our No. 3 starter. Do you improve the bench and what about Chapman...now the real work begins...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Fan View Post
    Getting Price was the easy part, now "whom" is on his staff, what happens at 2nd Base, CF and our No. 3 starter. Do you improve the bench and what about Chapman...now the real work begins...
    Agreed. But getting this out of the way quickly lets them begin the real work with input from the new manager and without the distraction.

Agreed. But getting this out of the way quickly lets them begin the real work with input from the new manager and without the distraction.
    Well put. They needed to get this over with and get working on getting to the darn World Series

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Fan View Post
    Yeah, that will be the biggest challenge by far. It is all but certain that BP is gone, so that should be priority number one. Two has to be getting Choo back. Three is finding a way to improve bench, and four is to send Chapman to the winter league and get his stamina up. I don't know if he will be a dominant starting pitcher, but with his price tag, i am all for trying it. The worst you can do is find out he is not made for that spot and adjust as necessary (especially if we, for some reason, keep arroyo). And of course adjust his salary to that that represents his role (closer).

topsyt

This is a solid move. Manager and front office on same page plus the front office respects this guy. Onward and upward!

12. Likes:

markymark69 (10-24-2013)

Is Brian just too nice a guy to be a good manager? That is my concern. I do not want a Lou Piniella type, but Brian seems ultra mellow to me. Not that Dusty was by any means a bad ass.
    I once had a great boss, that was almost perfect, except some people would just take advantage of him, because they knew they could.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon7 View Post
    Is Brian just too nice a guy to be a good manager? That is my concern. I do not want a Lou Piniella type, but Brian seems ultra mellow to me. Not that Dusty was by any means a bad ass.
    I once had a great boss, that was almost perfect, except some people would just take advantage of him, because they knew they could.
    I dunno, according to Bailey, Price gave him an earful when he failed to cover first once. He's nice until he's not, evidently. Also this quote from Todd Frazier: "I don't know what his plans are and how things will change, but the Bryan Price I know will take care of business and he won't take no crap," Frazier said. "He'll be ready to go."
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 10-24-2013 at 10:35 PM.

I dunno, according to Bailey, Price gave him an earful when he failed to cover first once. He's nice until he's not, evidently. Also this quote from Todd Frazier: "I don't know what his plans are and how things will change, but the Bryan Price I know will take care of business and he won't take no crap," Frazier said. "He'll be ready to go."
    That's really good to hear!

16. Likes:

RedlegJake (10-24-2013)

Having read a lot of articles and comments about Price in the recent days and having watched the 2 parts of the interview on Reds.com i am pretty much sold on Price.
    Good luck. Make us proud!

I really like the hire and think he's has the personality type to be a successful manager with the type of players in professional sports these days. I think the days of the in your face all the time managers are gone. But you can't be completely laid back all the time. Price seems to have a way of getting his point across without acting like a raging lunatic.

With O'Neill expressing interest in being manager of the Reds is there any chance that he can join the coaching staff if some of the other coaches are on their way out. I hated when the Reds traded him and I think his competitive fuire would be a nioce addition to the dugout ala Kirk Gibson.

20. Likes:

goreds2 (10-28-2013)

Turn Off Ads?