Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Players who will bloom under Price

Players who will bloom under Price

My view:
    Zack Cozart - has been under coached to this point. That won't happen under Price.

Jay Bruce - Price will help Bruce's mental approach, which has been brittle to date.

Aroldis Chapman - having the pitching coach manage will only do good for this sensitive project.

Joey Votto - not that a former MVP needs to "bloom", if you listen to Price and Votto they both speak the same thoughtful, prepared language. Price will put Votto's talent to its most advantageous use.

Your thoughts?
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (10-23-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Players who will bloom under Price

I'm not sure about the Cozart thing, but I'll go along with the rest. I think Mes will be a guy who is helped as well. As long as Price sees him as the long term solution at catcher, I assume he will get the bulk of the playing time all year, and will have a chance to work more with each pitcher, not just "his guys." (I stopped being able to follow the club the last couple months of the season, so if Baker changed his approach with Mes I probably missed it).

I do wonder, however, if Stephenson will be worse off not being able to work directly with Price once he gets called up and during ST. I would imagine Price will have too many other responsibilities to work too closely with him.

Aroldis Chapman - Price makes him a starter where he blooms in 150 innings of work.

Devin Mesoraco - Price gives him 450 PA and his bat and defense finally bloom.

Sem LeCure - Price gives him a more prominant bullpen role and he blooms.

Manny Parra - Continues his bloom from last season as a high leverage arm from pen.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I'm optimistic about Chapman now that Price is the manager. I think Dusty's narrow view of player's roles has hurt Chapman's development overall. I think Price has been chomping at the bit to be able to spend a full season working with Chapman as a starter. I can see Chapman maturing greatly over the course of next season.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

7. Likes:

remdog (10-23-2013)

Will be hilarious to see the reaction if Price announces a Dusty-like decision early next spring.

Like, imagine the threads if Price's first big decision is that Chapman is his closer.

Bryan Price will cure cancer and make dogs walk upright.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

10. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-23-2013),Edd Roush (10-23-2013),kbrake (10-23-2013),KittyDuran (10-23-2013),pahster (10-23-2013),RadfordVA (10-23-2013),Revering4Blue (10-23-2013),tomnuetten (10-23-2013),Wonderful Monds (10-22-2013)

I think Brandon Phillips would have a good chance to bloom if he stays.

The trade talk should shut his mouth and hopefully help him to understand what it means to be a team player.

Also, I think BP will do better under Price as he will hopefully be utilized in a better way.
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

12. Likes:

Norm Chortleton (10-23-2013),PuffyPig (10-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Forget that noise, just write a good lineup!! Amirite??

And I'll be there the entire time, letting him know he could be doing better:

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

14. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-23-2013),Tom Servo (10-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    The Russian Bryan Price:

16. Likes:

Tom Servo (10-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Will be hilarious to see the reaction if Price announces a Dusty-like decision early next spring.

Like, imagine the threads if Price's first big decision is that Chapman is his closer.
    Better yet, he keeps Jacoby as hitting coach.

18. Likes:

Dwarftree (10-23-2013)

We will finally see if Jacoby really does have something on Castellini.

20. Likes:

KittyDuran (10-23-2013),RedEye (10-23-2013)

I confess to being uber-curious at how he approaches Mesoraco.

Your sarcasm is exhausting. Are you actually hoping that this happens? If so, I can't understand why. If not, then why just write something like this to provoke? Dusty is gone, Price is the guy. Why don't we all just hope for the best?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

23. Likes:

remdog (10-23-2013)

I will be stunned if Chapman is not the closer. I have thought for some time that Aroldis himself has been the primary catalyst behind Chapman being the closer, not Dusty. That obviously has not changed.

I'm sure Price and his staff will discuss and consider the idea of moving Chapman to the rotation, but I believe that Chapman will resist, and ultimately will remain in the pen (or be traded, but that is an idea for another thread).
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I confess to being uber-curious at how he approaches Mesoraco.
    Me too, specifically how he approaches Hanigan/Mes splitting time and Hanny's alleged great handling of the pitchers. I'm not dissing Hanigan's game here - I am truly curious how Price, a pitching coach become manager, will deal with a situation that had Hanigan the bulwark because he was the better defender and "handler" of the staff verses the younger potentially more dangerous offensive threat Mesoraco could become with regular PT.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Turn Off Ads?