Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who would want Uggla from Braves for BP?

Re: Who would want Uggla from Braves for BP?

Quote Originally Posted by Reds&BuckeyeGuy View Post
    You would still do that? I am not sure I would even do that. He is not even on the same level and fielding IMO. I don't know much about that Tommy La Stella (will do some homework on him shortly), but I don't think that would be a trade that makes the reds better.
    La Stella is a guy we could use for sure. He has an idea of what to do at the plate. Gets on base at a good clip, his walk rate is excellent, his k rate is low. Won't be Brandon Phillips in the field, same could be said for every other second baseman in the league. Can field the position properly. Not gonna light the world on fire, but could be a useful bat for us. Don't get me wrong, Uggla is garbage. But used properly I think he could still have value as a right handed bench bat. The dollar value of the contracts are almost equal, Uggla is only locked up for two more years, BP is four or five. Looking at this from a Braves and Reds perspective this seems like the type of deal that would happen. In a perfect world I would like pitcher thrown in, but that seems a bit unrealistic.

2. Turn Off Ads?

If I'm the Braves I look at it this way. What is the most I'd be willing to pay BP if he was on the open market over the next 4 years, top dollar? 50, 60 million. Whatever that amount is, eat that amount on Uggla's contract and move on. I don't think they'd eat 20 million but that's about what I'd want em to for me to make that trade. What if they offered 12million?

Reds would be on hook for Uggla for 2/13? Would you do that to get outta BP's contract and get a usable pitching arm in return?

Based on his 3 year decline with the Braves, any team who would even think of trading for Uggla should be classified as idiots! He led the Braves in errors, strikeouts(he broke the Braves single season record that he set last year) and his average with RISP was second worst in the majors - next to BJ Upton! He was the highest paid player on the Braves team this year and didn't even make the post season roster against the Dodgers - the guy is pitiful! No thanks!

5. Likes:

Reds&BuckeyeGuy (10-24-2013)

I think the bigger issue is BP. I had no idea during the season that BP had angered Castellini so much with his contract statements and the blow up on CTrent. The more I read, the less I'm inclined to think Brandon has any chance at staying on this team.

If the Braves are our only trading partner for him, certainly that needs to be proven, then I see this deal going down. Uggla could use a change of scenery. He could go nuts at GAB.

I'm not an Uggle fan whatsoever, though Atlanta is not the easiest place to walk in and be accepted. Not sure why. But Uggla never seemed to fit in here. Sometimes a change of address and the end of a career can be huge motivators. Not much worse than being the top paid player and not making the playoff roster. If he has any sense of self, he's got a lot to prove in another city.

I'm thinking the Braves would.

Quote Originally Posted by HiltonHead View Post
    Based on his 3 year decline with the Braves, any team who would even think of trading for Uggla should be classified as idiots! He led the Braves in errors, strikeouts(he broke the Braves single season record that he set last year) and his average with RISP was second worst in the majors - next to BJ Upton! He was the highest paid player on the Braves team this year and didn't even make the post season roster against the Dodgers - the guy is pitiful! No thanks!
    Wow, thanks for all those stats. That is really, really bad. This sounds like something even a "change of scenary" would fix, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Atl View Post
    I think the bigger issue is BP. I had no idea during the season that BP had angered Castellini so much with his contract statements and the blow up on CTrent. The more I read, the less I'm inclined to think Brandon has any chance at staying on this team.

If the Braves are our only trading partner for him, certainly that needs to be proven, then I see this deal going down. Uggla could use a change of scenery. He could go nuts at GAB.

I'm not an Uggle fan whatsoever, though Atlanta is not the easiest place to walk in and be accepted. Not sure why. But Uggla never seemed to fit in here. Sometimes a change of address and the end of a career can be huge motivators. Not much worse than being the top paid player and not making the playoff roster. If he has any sense of self, he's got a lot to prove in another city.
    As per what Hiltonhead pointed out with all those stats, I don't think a change of scenary would do him any justice.

Turn Off Ads?