Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 51

Thread: Interesting quotes from Mike Leake...

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    83

    Re: Interesting quotes from Mike Leake...

    Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    Well the Reds #2 hitter was bad all year. Plus with the pitching the Reds have they need to play 'small ball' because every run matters. The Reds aren't set up right now for that 'big inning.'
    And your bad #2 hitter was just off the league lead in bunts.

    You need to be able to play small ball when it matters, in late game situations. Having your entire offensive strategy be small ball is a recipe for abject disaster, imo.

    jvs

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    247

    Re: Interesting quotes from Mike Leake...

    Quote Originally Posted by PTjvs View Post
    And your bad #2 hitter was just off the league lead in bunts.

    You need to be able to play small ball when it matters, in late game situations. Having your entire offensive strategy be small ball is a recipe for abject disaster, imo.

    jvs
    Well the largest problem is how the lineup was set. Baker absolutely would not put two lefties together in the lineup. Bruce should have been hitting cleanup. If Bruce was batting clean up, Votto would get more good pitches because they would be afraid if they walk Votto, Bruce will hit a two run HR. Phillips should have been hitting 5th or 6th in the lineup.

    CF Hamilton
    Whoever is going to play left field
    1B Votto
    RF Bruce
    2B Phillips
    3B Frazier
    C Mesoraco
    SS Cozart
    Pitcher

    That is the line up the Reds need to use in my opinion.

  4. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    492

    Re: Interesting quotes from Mike Leake...

    Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    Well the largest problem is how the lineup was set. Baker absolutely would not put two lefties together in the lineup. Bruce should have been hitting cleanup. If Bruce was batting clean up, Votto would get more good pitches because they would be afraid if they walk Votto, Bruce will hit a two run HR. Phillips should have been hitting 5th or 6th in the lineup.

    CF Hamilton
    Whoever is going to play left field
    1B Votto
    RF Bruce
    2B Phillips
    3B Frazier
    C Mesoraco
    SS Cozart
    Pitcher

    That is the line up the Reds need to use in my opinion.
    Call me crazy but Bruce gives away so many ABs that I wouldn't be afraid to pitch to him either. He's more likely to roll over on a first pitch curveball and hit a 16 hopper to 2nd or watch 2 fastballs right down the middle only to K on a 55 foot curveball as he is to really hurt me.

  5. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    492

    Re: Interesting quotes from Mike Leake...

    Quote Originally Posted by PTjvs View Post
    Having your #2 hitter bunt after a double early in the game is not a good idea, unless your #2 hitter is very bad, in which case your problem is that your #2 hitter is very bad.

    jvs
    Couldn't have said it better myself jvs. If your confidence is that low in your #2 hitter, then you need to find a new one.

    Boston finished 27th in sacrifice hits, Detroit 21st, Tampa 28th, St. Louis 11th (low for an NL team). I don't buy the bunting=wins philosophy

  6. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    9

    Re: Interesting quotes from Mike Leake...

    I don't think the argument here was really when or when not to play small ball, it was more about this teams lack of execution in those spots when it was needed, or called upon. Like it or not, it's something that really good teams are able to do. Especially when the weather gets colder and the playoffs start, pitching matchups become tougher, and it's vital to be able to manufacture a run.

  7. Likes:

    markymark69 (10-24-2013), Old school 1983 (10-23-2013), RedlegJake (10-23-2013)

  8. #21
    Moderator RedlegJake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    North Kansas City, Mo
    Posts
    5,241

    Re: Interesting quotes from Mike Leake...

    Bunting early in a game always bugs me unless its the pitcher. Having your 2 hitter bunt always bugs me. If your 2 hitter is that bad you made out a bad lineup card or have a crappy roster. Giving away outs is rarely a good idea - now having Robinson or Hamilton bunting is a chance at a hit, too, so that is a different breed of cat. Plus the pressure their speed puts on a defense. Sometimes, late, playing for 1 run to tie or win, a bunt can be a better percentage move. Those situations are not that common. I do not want my team leading or near the lead in sac bunts. Especially since so few of them can bunt worth a darn to begin with.

    If you look back at the great hitters, lots and lots of them have high DP numbers. You have men on base in front of you regularly, you are going to hit into a lot of DPs.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

  9. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    12

    Re: Interesting quotes from Mike Leake...

    Getting back to Mike Leake, I have liked him since he became a Red. He seems very smart, although that stealing shirts thing was a head scratcher. I chalk that up to youthful brainfart. He isn't a power pitcher so he has to outsmart the hitters. He's a lot like BA in that regard. I'm sure he looks at Bronson as a role model. And I love the way he competes at the plate and on base. Cingrani is the same way.

  10. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    492

    Re: Interesting quotes from Mike Leake...

    Quote Originally Posted by PriceIsRight View Post
    I don't think the argument here was really when or when not to play small ball, it was more about this teams lack of execution in those spots when it was needed, or called upon. Like it or not, it's something that really good teams are able to do. Especially when the weather gets colder and the playoffs start, pitching matchups become tougher, and it's vital to be able to manufacture a run.
    So, is your argument that the Reds were able to play small ball only when it was unnecessary?

  11. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    9

    Re: Interesting quotes from Mike Leake...

    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    So, is your argument that the Reds were able to play small ball only when it was unnecessary?
    My point was this team needs to improve their situational hitting. Rather it be hitting to the right side when necessary to move a runner up, sacrifice bunting, or a sac fly to get a runner in from 3rd with less than 2 outs. This team played poor fundamental baseball in all of those areas and those are things they need to be tightened up.

  12. Likes:

    joshua (10-24-2013)

  13. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    492

    Re: Interesting quotes from Mike Leake...

    Quote Originally Posted by PriceIsRight View Post
    My point was this team needs to improve their situational hitting. Rather it be hitting to the right side when necessary to move a runner up, sacrifice bunting, or a sac fly to get a runner in from 3rd with less than 2 outs. This team played poor fundamental baseball in all of those areas and those are things they need to be tightened up.
    The stats have been posted showing they lead the majors in Sacrifice Bunts and they were 9th in Sacrifice Flies. There is no stat for ground outs moving up runners, so we can't prove or disprove that one. Since they are in the top 3rd of both sacrifice categories, the only conclusion that I could come to is that they were doing those things, but only at inopportune times. I'm trying to see your side, that's all.

  14. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    247

    Re: Interesting quotes from Mike Leake...

    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    The stats have been posted showing they lead the majors in Sacrifice Bunts and they were 9th in Sacrifice Flies. There is no stat for ground outs moving up runners, so we can't prove or disprove that one. Since they are in the top 3rd of both sacrifice categories, the only conclusion that I could come to is that they were doing those things, but only at inopportune times. I'm trying to see your side, that's all.
    It's really something you have to notice while you watch the games, because the stats can be misleading when you have two guys on the team with over a .400 OBP.

  15. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    72

    Re: Interesting quotes from Mike Leake...

    The Reds need to improve on their ability to get on base. Having 2 guys with an OBP over .330 isn't going to cut it.

    They should be looking for ways to avoid making outs, not ways to give up more outs.

  16. Likes:

    joshua (10-24-2013)

  17. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    247

    Re: Interesting quotes from Mike Leake...

    Quote Originally Posted by SlimJim11 View Post
    The Reds need to improve on their ability to get on base. Having 2 guys with an OBP over .330 isn't going to cut it.

    They should be looking for ways to avoid making outs, not ways to give up more outs.
    I'd trade an out for a run every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

  18. Likes:

    PriceIsRight (10-24-2013)

  19. #29
    Member RedsBrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    475

    Re: Interesting quotes from Mike Leake...

    Quote Originally Posted by PriceIsRight View Post
    I agree. It was pretty obvious watching this team that they lacked heart, and fire. Honestly, it's pretty sad that professional players need to be motivated by their manager and don't just have that desire to win intrinsically, but they clearly weren't playing with a sense of urgency this season. Boston seemed to have the same issue recently on teams that were loaded with talent before having a major overhaul, and I wonder if the same thing is coming with this team. Especially with the BP rumors swirling.
    Ball players aren't unlike most every other professional...sometimes they need to be motivated. Nothing wrong with that...not everyone has that internal drive 100% of the time.

    If nothing else, a manager's got to be able to do that...and it's not always done in a rah-rah way...sometimes it's through accountability, through discipline, through structure and other ways. If Dusty had that at any time during his tenure with the Reds, he certainly lost that ability in '13.

  20. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    492

    Re: Interesting quotes from Mike Leake...

    Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    It's really something you have to notice while you watch the games, because the stats can be misleading when you have two guys on the team with over a .400 OBP.
    I'm sorry, but I'm not just a box score lurker...

    The Red Sox led the major leagues in team OBP (beat the Reds by 22 points). They had 57 less sacrifices than the Reds. Are they poor situational hitters? I know, I know, they are American League, so no pitchers hitting. My argument is busted. Out of curiosity, let's take a look at the Cardinals...

    The Cardinals finished 3rd in the majors in OBP (5 points above the Reds). They had 29 less sacrifice bunts than the Reds and 2 less sacrifice flies. Are they poor situational hitters?


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25