Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 79 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: World Series Discussion

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

World Series Discussion

It starts tonight. This is one of the most intriguing matchups of the 2000s, in my opinion. I love going down the line and checking out who has the advantage at each position, so here goes:

Catcher: Yadier Molina vs. Jarrod Saltalamacchia--Not much of a question here. Salty has been better than average (especially his average), but Yadi is Yadi.
    Advantage: St. Louis

First base: Matt Adams vs. Mike Napoli--I like Napoli, but not by much. Adams still needs to prove he's legit, but it's been a helluva first act for the fat man
    Advantage: Slightly Boston

Second base: Matt Carpenter vs. Dustin Pedroia--I hate to say it, but Carpenter is, right now, the better player. Pedroia has the playoff history under his belt, but it looks like injuries the last couple years have slowed him a bit.

Third base: David Freese vs. Will Middlebrooks--Middlebrooks can't get on base, Freese can't hit for power (this season, at least). My gut says Freese, but I feel like Middlebrooks has the most potential to be an impact player in a seven-game series. Maybe one of you can help swing me.
    Wash

Shortstop: Pete Kozma vs. Stephen Drew--Kozma is a better fielder, but he can't hit to save his life. Drew hasn't had a great year, but he's obviously the better player right now.
    Advantage: Boston

Left field: Matt Holliday vs. Jonny Gomes--Love me some Jonny Gomes (he woulda looked great in left field for Cincinnati this year), but we know all too well what Holliday can do when he's on a roll, which he usually is.

Center field: Jon Jay vs. Jacoby Ellsbury--It's Ellsbury here. He's got the valuable combination of OBP and SB speed you need in a series like this one. While 2011 seems more like a blip every day, Ellsbury is using the tools other than power to the best of his abilities.

Right field: Carlos Beltran vs. Shane Victorino--You'll never hear a cross word about Beltran out of me, except when he torches the Reds on a 4-for-5 night with two HRs. Victorino has been better than I expected this season, but Beltran is still the guy.

DH: Allen Craig vs. David Ortiz--Yes, Allen Craig is gonna be the DH in Boston, but, come on, we're talking about David Ortiz in the playoffs here.

Starting rotation: The definitely illegal stuff they feed to pitchers in the Cardinals farm system is showing no signs of running out. Michael Wacha may never give up a run again. Boston needs big starts from Lester and Buchholz to stay in this thing.

Bullpen: The patience of Boston hitters in the playoffs so far means the St. Louis bullpen will be front and center in the World Series. Yeah, they throw hard, but will they be able to handle the workload Boston will try to force them into? (Probably.) Boston's pen has been great so far in the playoffs, and MAN I love watching Koji Uehara pitch. He's awesome. This one's close, but I'm gonna say

This was mostly off the top of my head and open to criticism. Just wanted to get the conversation started. I'm predicting St. Louis in 6, and rooting HARD for Boston.

Thoughts?
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

2. Turn Off Ads?
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Re: World Series Discussion

Great breakdown. I agree, St. Louis in 6.

Would be in 5, but Ortiz.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Cardinals in six. They have better pitching and their clutch hitting has been phenominal all season. Hard to see that changing now.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

This years Cardinals are able to string together consecutive hits like no other team i have seen in years. They may never hit a ball over any of the outfielder's heads and yet score 3 runs.

Middlebrooks isn't starting at 3B, Xander Bogaerts is, but I don't suppose that makes it any easier to pick.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Cards in 6.

Pulling for the NL to continue owning the big show.

Cards in FOUR!

Sawks in 6. Got a sleeve of ProV's riding on it.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

10. Likes:

Joseph (10-23-2013),Reds&BuckeyeGuy (10-31-2013)

I told myself I wouldn't watch this. But here I am. Go Beards.

12. Likes:

TSJ55 (10-23-2013)

WOW!!! He never had that ball. Not even close
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

14. Likes:

WildcatFan (10-23-2013)

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    WOW!!! He never had that ball. Not even close
    I'm throwing up
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

First inning and already an awful call gives the Cardinals an out

17. Likes:

TSJ55 (10-23-2013)

Baaaaaaaad call.

They reversed it.

They reversed the call, thank God.

Although that just gives the Cardinals something else to complain about.

Turn Off Ads?