Turn Off Ads?
Page 29 of 79 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: World Series Discussion

Re: World Series Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Cards fans can stop complaining about 1985 now. I think they're even with the umps.
    They can keep complaining... It was an awful call. They can cut out the hyperbole though.... That runner didn't score so they got that out back. They should be pissed about how Clark couldn't get a routine fly all to get them out of that inning.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    There's no way to know that things would've happened differently if Middlebrooks had kept laying on the ground. That's the problem for me. Once Middlebrooks fell down the fate of the game was sealed. Guess he just shouldn't have tried to field the ball.
    I don't agree with this.

But if you are correct, you know what, sometimes thems the breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Watched it again. Where is Craig even going? So you can establish a running lane that's both two feet inside the bag and directed towards the home dugout and still garner the World Series game ending obstruction call?
    Yes, it could have been 10 feet. A fielder cannot impede a runner.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

It bothered me that Craig ran so far to the inside of the basepath, but in the end Joyce made the right call. At least that's what I think at this moment.

Craig made a blunder, but circumstance bailed him out.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

6. Likes:

redsrolen (10-27-2013)

Kozma was on deck.

8. Likes:

757690 (10-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    I disagree. Craig fell on Middlebrooks, and put his hand on the small of Middlebrook's back, which made his legs come up as Middlebrooks was trying to get up. Bad call IMO.
    Actually, no, the feet were up and THEN Craig tripped and put his hand on Middlebrooks.

But the umps are saying, very simply, that the fielder is obliged to get out of the way. That's the rule. Baserunner has the right of way.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    The runner does not have to stay in the baseline in that situation. The runner could have rounded third, been say 8 feet in foul territory and if the same instance happened its still obstruction.

Your focusing to much on basepath when its the route the runner takes that matters.
    Except the runner was not in motion on that play with his momentum establishing his line to the next base, which is the normal obstruction call. Craig was at a dead stop, got up and picked a route that took him over a prone fielder. He had another, more direct option. That was not a standard obstruction situation.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Dumb non-move by Farrell. Dumb throw by Salty. Bad play by Middlebrooks to not block that throw. And the Cards are luckier than crap. Correct call, but the Cards are now due for a Cubs-like 100 year run of bad luck.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

12. Likes:

Beltway (10-27-2013)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

The call was technically correct, but that's why it's infuriating. Nobody else wins a World Series game on a walk off obstruction call but the Cardinals.

14. Likes:

757690 (10-27-2013),Hoosier Red (10-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    I disagree. Craig fell on Middlebrooks, and put his hand on the small of Middlebrook's back, which made his legs come up as Middlebrooks was trying to get up. Bad call IMO.
    Look at it this way. Middlebrooks had no business being on the baseline since he didn't have the ball. Where Craig fell might have been on the inside but fielders have to clear the path, and he was on the path.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Like I said earlier - no elbow guard, no HBP.

But I've watched baseball for years, it wasn't going to be overturned.
    I think we've all watched baseball for years.

Whether it could've been overturned is one thing, but, sometimes you should dispute the call regardless of your chances of winning the argument.

I can't help but think if that call happened against St Louis the game would already be under protest.

All this series has shown me is baseball needs instant replay expanded. This call and Game 1 are proof of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

18. Likes:

joshua (10-27-2013),Wonderful Monds (10-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    But Middlebrooks kept lifting up his legs which was part of the obstruction. Had he been prone on the ground, then a tougher call. I thought this was obvious.

Poor Red Sox. First they thought Ed Armbrister interfered in 1975. They were rather vocal on that one against the Reds in the Series.

Now they lose because of interference in 2013.

Shame.
    It wasn't the call...it was the throw to 3rd that cost the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Watched it again. Where is Craig even going? So you can establish a running lane that's both two feet inside the bag and directed towards the home dugout and still garner the World Series game ending obstruction call?
    If Middlebrooks hadn't gotten in his way, Craig was in more danger of buying a hot dog than touching home.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

21. Likes:

MWM (10-27-2013),Superdude (10-27-2013),Wonderful Monds (10-27-2013)

-The Insider-

Just thought I'd put this here. It was the right call but here ya go:

7.06 When obstruction occurs, the umpire shall call or signal “Obstruction.”
    (a) If a play is being made on the obstructed runner, or if the batter-runner is obstructed before he touches first base, the ball is dead and all runners shall advance, without liability to be put out, to the bases they would have reached, in the umpire’s judg- ment, if there had been no obstruction. The obstructed runner shall be awarded at least one base beyond the base he had last legally touched before the obstruction. Any preceding runners, forced to advance by the award of bases as the penalty for obstruction, shall advance without liability to be put out.
    Rule 7.06(a) Comment: When a play is being made on an obstructed runner, the umpire shall signal obstruction in the same manner that he calls “Time,” with both hands overhead. The ball is immediately dead when this signal is given; however, should a thrown ball be in flight before the obstruction is called by the umpire, the runners are to be awarded such bases on wild throws as they would have been awarded had not obstruction occurred. On a play where a runner was trapped between second and third and obstructed by the third baseman going into third base while the throw is in flight from the shortstop, if such throw goes into the dugout the obstructed runner is to be awarded home base. Any other runners on base in this situation would also be awarded two bases from the base they last legally touched before obstruction was called.
    (b) If no play is being made on the obstructed runner, the play shall proceed until no further action is possible. The umpire shall then call “Time” and impose such penalties, if any, as in his judgment will nullify the act of obstruction.
    Rule 7.06(b) Comment: Under 7.06(b) when the ball is not dead on obstruction and an obstructed runner advances beyond the base which, in the umpire’s judgment, he would have been awarded because of being obstructed, he does so at his own peril and may be tagged out. This is a judgment call.
    NOTE: The catcher, without the ball in his possession, has no right to block the pathway of the runner attempting to score. The base line belongs to the runner and the catcher should be there only when he is fielding a ball or when he already has the ball in his hand.

23. Likes:

marcshoe (10-27-2013)

Turn Off Ads?