Turn Off Ads?
Page 26 of 79 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676 ... LastLast

Thread: World Series Discussion

Re: World Series Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    That is strange interference call. Definitely if the runner was purposely interfered with but when the fielder is laying down and you trip over him in the baseline I am not exactly sure that is interference
    Its obstruction and not interference and if you do not have the ball or are playing on the ball then you cannot impede the runner.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

2. Turn Off Ads?

Farell mismanaged that game. Napoli on the bench, Koji is fresh and Workman hits in the 9th inning of a tied World Series game?

Either way, these obscure rarely referenced rules always come up in the Cardinals favor when they need them. Sickening. Luckiest franchise in sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    That is strange interference call. Definitely if the runner was purposely interfered with but when the fielder is laying down and you trip over him in the baseline I am not exactly sure that is interference
    Intention doesn't matter as much that he didn't have the ball and he obstructed the runner on the base path.... Technically Craig had the right of way, intentions be damned.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Watch it again. Craig had absolutely nowhere to go. He started toward home and was immediately tripped by the fielder.
    I've watched it many times now. He had nowhere to run because he was starting to run for home a few feet inside the baseline. He got up on the 2nd base side of the bag.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

It was text book obstruction. The fact that we as Reds fans didn't want it to be doesn't change the rule. Intent and fielder placement are irrelevant.

7. Likes:

Beltway (10-27-2013),George Anderson (10-27-2013),Ironman92 (10-27-2013),jojo (10-27-2013),villain612 (10-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    If he kept his feet down when they were down, I believe it would have been kosher.
    And if he had kept his legs down Craig might have scored anyway. I'm not saying Middlebrooks did it on pupose but damned if you do and damned if you don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Craig had a straight shot right down the baseline. He didn't have to double back inside the base and go over Middlebrooks. The most direct route was completely unobstructed.
    I don't agree. He took the path any baserunner in baseball history would have taken. He went straight ahead and was tripped within a half step.

Clear obstruction once the fielder stuck his legs up, which he did twice.

Watch it again. Craig had absolutely nowhere to go. He started toward home and was immediately tripped by the fielder.

If Middlebrooke hadn't twice lifted up his legs then maybe there's an argument. But Craig was totally impeded on that play. Obvious call to me.
    He had the whole baseline! Why is Middlebrooks responsible for Craig getting up and running two or three feet inside the baseline?

11. Likes:

M2 (10-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    If he kept his feet down when they were down, I believe it would have been kosher.
    But Middlebrooks kept lifting up his legs which was part of the obstruction. Had he been prone on the ground, then a tougher call. I thought this was obvious.

If the fielder does nothing but the runner still trips would it have been any different. There's no way to know.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Its obstruction and where the fielder is on that play does not matter.
    If Middlebrooks is laying on top of the baseline, I get that. He was completely inside the baseline. That should matter.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Jim Joyce is going to be know for 2 bad calls and that's it.
    Jim Joyce just lost any good will from the blown no-hitter for Gallaraga. What a total butt. One umpire that lets the umpire mean more than the players. What an idiot. Sorry, but in 55 years of baseball I've never seen that called on a final play. He should have been reprimanded on the Detroit call, and now this. He needs to go back to AAA and forgotten.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

15. Likes:

joshua (10-27-2013)

I don't agree. He took the path any baserunner in baseball history would have taken. He went straight ahead and was tripped within a half step.

Clear obstruction once the fielder stuck his legs up, which he did twice.
    Since when do runners round third and cut back toward the infield grass?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

17. Likes:

MWM (10-27-2013)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Jim Joyce just lost any good will from the blown no-hitter for Gallaraga. What a total butt. One umpire that lets the umpire mean more than the players. What an idiot. Sorry, but in 55 years of baseball I've never seen that called on a final play. He should have been reprimanded on the Detroit call, and now this. He needs to go back to AAA and forgotten.
    For the record, Jim Joyce has a reputation as a good umpire and has been voted one of the best by the players multiple times.

...but yikes, he has a pretty "notable" résumé building.

Well I guess I hadn't seen it all.

I give up. That was a baseball play and not intentional. Jim Joyce did one of the things he does. Defend if you like, but that was horrible.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Turn Off Ads?