Turn Off Ads?
Page 30 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Thread: World Series Discussion

Re: World Series Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I can't help but think if that call happened against St Louis the game would already be under protest.

All this series has shown me is baseball needs instant replay expanded. This call and Game 1 are proof of it.
    Sour grapes....the replay showed conclusively that the guy raised his legs. Instant replay would show something different?

2. Likes:

jojo (10-27-2013),villain612 (10-27-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Except the runner was not in motion on that play with his momentum establishing his line to the next base, which is the normal obstruction call. Craig was at a dead stop, got up and picked a route that took him over a prone fielder. He had another, more direct option. That was not a standard obstruction situation.
    Craig was trying to get to his feet after a slide on the inside of the bag.... His first few steps are naturally going to be on the inside. Middlebrooks not laying flat wasn't helping his case either.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Yes, it could have been 10 feet. A fielder cannot impede a runner.
    But the running lane wasn't even established yet. Middlebrooks does his best to clear the obvious lane, and Craig goes out of his way to run into him. Whoever said the game was over when Middlebrooks tried to field the ball was correct.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Seeing the replay on a new angle, Craig totally b-tagged Middlebrooks on the reach down to the ground to steady himself. Ouch.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post
    Sour grapes....the replay showed conclusively that the guy raised his legs. Instant replay would show something different?
    You might want to sit this one out.

Here's a pretty good frame of it...this is before Craig tripped..

It wasn't the call...it was the throw to 3rd that cost the game.
    Well, I think the call had something to do with the outcome.

I remember like it was yesterday the Red Sox bitterly complaining after game 3, 1975 Series, that the Reds got away with interference and that it was a shame the Sox lost.

Now, 38 years later, I'm watching the Red Sox after another game 3 saying the Cards got a bad obstruction call and it was a shame the Sox lost.

History repeats itself, kind of.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-27-2013 at 12:55 AM.

Crazy.

Shades of Ed Armbrister or. Bernie Carbo/Ken Burkhardt.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
    Craig was trying to get to his feet after a slide on the inside of the bag.... His first few steps are naturally going to be on the inside. Middlebrooks not laying flat wasn't helping his case either.
    That's only the natural route to take if you're trying to run to the pitcher's mound. Craig got discombobulated and picked a weird path. He impeded himself.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    Its a nice shot but a little misleading. Craig was standing up from a slide on the inside. Had he been standing up at third and then made a run at Middlebrooks, then perhaps the sox have a case.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post

If there's a rule that calls that obstruction, then it's an incredibly bad rule. Craig looks like he's going out of his way to go over top of the fielder. The baseline from 3rd to home is wide open.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

It's not so much sour grapes as much as questioning the human element of the game. The calls were made rather quickly with no opportunity to review them.

The replay also showed Middlebrooks inside the baseline, as MWM said.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Except the runner was not in motion on that play with his momentum establishing his line to the next base, which is the normal obstruction call. Craig was at a dead stop, got up and picked a route that took him over a prone fielder. He had another, more direct option. That was not a standard obstruction situation.
    Craig could have tripped over third and tumbled ten feet into foul territory. Craig could have gotten up and had the same situation happened or a similar one happened where somehow a fielder impeded him from advancing then its obstruction.

If the runner wasn't protected you would have fielders jumping in his way trying to keep him from scoring.

Your focusing to much on the basepath.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

16. Likes:

gilpdawg (10-27-2013),Number_Fourteen (10-27-2013),reds1869 (10-27-2013)

This play made me turn the sound up and be exposed to Carver and McBuck, something I prefer to never do.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Middlebrooks was attempting to stand up...that's why his legs initially came up. Craig pushed him down, tripped, got up, changed course back towards the basepath then stumbled towards home plate.

19. Likes:

redsfandan (10-27-2013)

Turn Off Ads?