Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Walt interview (with Cunningham)

Re: Walt interview (with Cunningham)

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    You mean like like not calling them liars or texting during games?
    Strawman for $500, Alex. I never said I had a problem with management having an issue with those things.

Personally, though, I don't see why any of those are a big deal if they aren't impacting his actual performance (which is what they're paying for), and there's no evidence that tweeting, texting or media interviews are hurting Phillips' performance in any way.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Strawman for $500, Alex. I never said I had a problem with management having an issue with those things.

Personally, though, I don't see why any of those are a big deal if they aren't impacting his actual performance (which is what they're paying for), and there's no evidence that tweeting, texting or media interviews are hurting Phillips' performance in any way.
    There is no evidence that they aren't. There are studies after studies that demonstrate that texting decreases performance. Social science suggests Phillips shouldn't be tweeting.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post

I'm sure willing to bet that they thought it would be swell if he didn't make them look bad in any shape or form to the media either.

I have no idea what it does to his performance, but it can't help if his mind isn't on them game for those 3 hours.( I know their work days are longer, but doing that before a game is less of a deal.)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Saying you want more out of yourself is healthy. Someone else saying, I think he should do things differently; well, I don't know. Seems like a monumental waste of resources to take something that's working and mess with it.
    I guess I'm not offended because I assume these opinions are now held by intelligent baseball people that understand Votto's strengths. It's not like it was Dusty rambling about base clogging. If Jocketty and Price think they can get Joey back to being unstoppable MVP Joey, I'd hardly call that a monumental waste of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    I guess I'm not offended because I assume these opinions are now held by intelligent baseball people that understand Votto's strengths. It's not like it was Dusty rambling about base clogging. If Jocketty and Price think they can get Joey back to being unstoppable MVP Joey, I'd hardly call that a monumental waste of anything.
    My guess is that they have no idea how to turn a .950 hitter into a 1.050 hitter.

I would argue that they have a much bigger problem when their GM does absolutely nothing for 6 months to address the loss of their clean up hitter on day one.

But I also don't expect that level of self awareness or reflection from a GM who's in tight with the owner.

Hate to complicate things but when Price is having this discussion with Joey about his offensive approach, could he spend a minute discussing his defensive approach and his running the bases approach.
    Last edited by Mutaman; 10-23-2013 at 10:10 PM.

8. Likes:

bengalsown (10-23-2013),Crumbley (10-24-2013),moewan (10-24-2013),TSJ55 (10-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Hate to complicate things but when Price having this discussion with Joey about his offensive approach, could he spend a minute discussing his defensive approach and his running the bases approach.

For what it's worth, Votto kinda brought that up himself, and thought an offseason spent working on baseball drills as opposed to doing rehab for the knee would help.

10. Likes:

Crumbley (10-24-2013),HeatherC1212 (10-24-2013)

My guess is that they have no idea how to turn a .950 hitter into a 1.050 hitter.
    No need to do that. Just make sure the .950 hitter hits better in the clutch.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

12. Likes:

SidneySlicker (10-24-2013)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

I would argue that they have a much bigger problem when their GM does absolutely nothing for 6 months to address the loss of their clean up hitter on day one.

But I also don't expect that level of self awareness or reflection from a GM who's in tight with the owner.
    I love armchair GM's who think it's so easy to go out and make a deal for a #4 hitter that can make a difference but be on the cheap. I mean, GMs do it every year right?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    No need to do that. Just make sure the .950 hitter hits better in the clutch.
    Man, if you can unwind the clutch puzzle...you could certainly cover Votto's contract.

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    I love armchair GM's who think it's so easy to go out and make a deal for a #4 hitter that can make a difference but be on the cheap. I mean, GMs do it every year right?
    In contending seasons on teams with very narrow contention windows? Yeah, too much to ask, you're right.

In contending seasons on teams with very narrow contention windows? Yeah, too much to ask, you're right.
    Then don't act like Walt hasn't made big moves every year to improve this team. Just because he didn't make a move whenFCB wanted him to doesn't mean he isn't trying!!!

I've got them at 4 years of contention/expected contention and counting...

18. Likes:

Crumbley (10-24-2013),dubc47834 (10-23-2013),PepperJack (10-23-2013)

Narrow contention window, how narrow is it? Because the way I and others see it we should be contenders for the forseeable future!

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I've got them at 4 years of contention/expected contention and counting...
    2011 was contention? I count two seasons. And number three ain't lookin real likely.

Turn Off Ads?