Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Matt Wieters

Matt Wieters

Apparently the O's are willing to trade him as he'll likely be seeking a big FA deal after 2015.

I wonder if they'd consider a Phillips/Hanigan or Phillips/Mesoraco deal? The Reds could then trade the other catcher (Hanigan/Mez) elsewhere for OF or MI help.

They also seem to be seeking pitching. People have mentioned Bailey might attract teams looking to trade similar FA-to-be. Would you deal Bailey for Wieters, with the hope that you could trade the other catchers to fill other needs? I don't think I would. Dealing Bailey opens up question marks in the rotation. If you're not clearly solving other needs (ie MI or OF), then what's the point, in my view.

Thoughts?
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Matt Wieters

Doesn't make sense for the Reds

4. Likes:

Mitri (11-13-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (11-13-2013),westofyou (11-13-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Doesn't make sense for the Reds
    I think you're probably right. Just trying to think outside the box a bit and be opportunistic. He would CERTAINLY be a better short-term expensive vet than Uggla, although their slash lines do look surprisingly similar.

One of the byproducts I do worry a bit about is if it's suddenly becoming a buyer's market for catchers- Saltalamacchia and Ruiz are free agents. Hanigan is clearly available. Now reports have Wieters and Arencibia both also being shopped.

I hope this doesn't dilute the potential return for Hanigan (or Mez, in the unlikely event the Reds choose to go that route).
    Last edited by Benihana; 11-13-2013 at 01:33 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Wieters looks like a more expensive version of Mesoraco to me. I could easily see Mes putting up the line that Wieters did last season, at a much cheaper cost. So, I just don't think the fit is there for me to pull the trigger on this type of trade.

7. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-13-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    Wieters looks like a more expensive version of Mesoraco to me. I could easily see Mes putting up the line that Wieters did last season, at a much cheaper cost. So, I just don't think the fit is there for me to pull the trigger on this type of trade.
    Offensively perhaps. Defensively he is miles and miles ahead of Mesoraco.

However I'm not sure that is worth paying the massive difference in salary and giving up the years of control.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    One of the byproducts I do worry a bit about is if it's suddenly becoming a buyer's market for catchers- Saltalamacchia and Ruiz are free agents. Hanigan is clearly available. Now reports have Wieters and Arencibia both also being shopped.

I hope this doesn't dilute the potential return for Hanigan (or Mez, in the unlikely event the Reds choose to go that route).
    Arencibia on the market doesn't dilute it. It just creates another buyer.

I'm guessing the reason why Wieters is being shopped is because it's a such a sellers market for catchers right now. You have the Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies, and Rangers all needing catchers, with a bunch of other clubs wanting to improve. The fact that Ruiz hasn't jumped at the Rockies offer of two years, $15M tells us how strong the market is.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Turn Off Ads?