Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Walt interview (with Cunningham)

Re: Walt interview (with Cunningham)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I'm not sure what the optimal Z-swing is, but the fact that Joey is only 1 or 2 percent above average (which includes pitchers and backups) says there's room for improvement. Many of his teammates have higher rates than he does.

If Joey could increase his Z-swing percentage by 5 percent, at the expense of his O-swing percentage going up 2 percent.. I think that would be worth it.
    Note, I realize that increasing the Z-swing is going to also probably increase the O-swing.
    I'm not saying this isn't true, but I am not sure it is. It could easily be that the true optimal Z-swing percentage (which certainly varies hitter by hitter) could be LOWER than the league average, and that swinging at too many borderline strikes (or just not the pitch you were looking for) results in easy outs.

jvs

2. Likes:

Redeyecat (10-23-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    a .900 OPS table-setter
    Is that even a thing?

5. Likes:

LaFlamaBlanca (10-24-2013),malcontent (10-23-2013)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Is that even a thing?
    Hey, *BaseClogger*.

Whaddya gonna do for a living now...now that he's gone?

I mean, it's not like you can just change a sig line.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    It's kind of weird, but Jocketty sounds rejuvenated to me.
    I always suspected Jocketty had to hold back on his public opinions quite a bit while Dusty was his manager. It would be interesting if he would eventually come clean about exactly where they were on the same page and where they weren't. I'd buy that book.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Because no MLB hitter is good enough to get on base whenever they want to. They do not control the opportunities or the outcomes.

Not to mention that "RISP" is a ridiculous carve out of meaningful data.

He doubles home a guy from first, you don't count it. A two run homer with a guy on first. Nope, not in the population. A solo homer? Well, of course he "choked" earlier in the game with RISP, another meaningless homer. Not adding to his BA with RISP. Trade da bum.
    Not to mention an infield single with a guy on second bumps up that BA w/ RISP.

If there was one phrase I wish would be eliminated from the baseball lexicon, it's "runners in scoring position". Thom brings it up at least a dozen times every game.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

9. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (10-24-2013),Chip R (10-23-2013),Edd Roush (10-24-2013)

Jocketty putting his rep out there with the statement about "I know how to build a winner". It is his turn (again) to make some big moves. I can't say I'm too worried, he's got the touch.

11. Likes:

WildcatFan (10-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    I always suspected Jocketty had to hold back on his public opinions quite a bit while Dusty was his manager. It would be interesting if he would eventually come clean about exactly where they were on the same page and where they weren't. I'd buy that book.
    So would I.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    That Broxton deal had to have drawn some chuckles around baseball after Chapman was kept as closer.

14. Likes:

Redeyecat (10-23-2013),RiverRat13 (10-23-2013)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    Not true at all. As long as he stays healthy and produces, he will be tradeable early in the contract.
    Of all the things we could/should be discussing...trading Mr. Votto ain't one of them.

16. Likes:

gilpdawg (10-24-2013),HeatherC1212 (10-24-2013),kheidg- (10-23-2013),Number_Fourteen (10-24-2013),Raisor (10-23-2013),WVRedsFan (10-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Hey, *BaseClogger*.

Whaddya gonna do for a living now...now that he's gone?

I mean, it's not like you can just change a sig line.
    I guess I'm a malcontent now...

18. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (10-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I guess I'm a malcontent now...

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    That contract makes him untradeable. No one will take that on. We're married for better or for worse
    There aren't many things good about the pay structure of MLB...but because of the way it is there will always be teams out there willing to spend ridiculous amounts of money (see, Yankees, Angels, Dodgers, Red Sox...etc., etc.) ...Not saying, of course, that I want Votto traded.

Love the questions and answers of that interview!

The veil has been peeled back a bit. Pretty revealing answers....me likey.

Thanks for posting.

Fodder is causing a lot of cud chewing that's for sure

Telling a man that OPSed over .900 that he has to do something differently to fit what the team desires is kind of silly. Asking him to change his game is a slippery slope. Maybe we should try and repair some of the black holes at short, left, and catcher before asking our best hitter to change his game.

I was frustrated with Votto at times this season, but I think he's intelligent enough to make adjustments on his own. Walt assembled this team, and he should be taking responsibility for its performance down the stretch.

24. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (10-24-2013),Mario-Rijo (10-28-2013),Redeyecat (10-23-2013)

Turn Off Ads?