Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Walt interview (with Cunningham)

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Walt interview (with Cunningham)

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Which is a you problem not a Joey or Reds problem.
    We should be more sympathetic. I think I read somewhere that this particular obsession is a symptom of a recognized mental health condition: Brennamania. The only known cure is to turn off the TV and radio.
    /r/reds

2. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (10-24-2013),Larkin Fan (10-23-2013),Raisor (10-24-2013),Revering4Blue (10-23-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I am totally shocked the Reds aren't happy the guy they paid a zillion dollars drove in 71 runs last year. I was under the impression that's totally acceptable.
    Last edited by reds44; 10-23-2013 at 08:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

5. Likes:

AmarilloRed (10-23-2013),Crumbley (10-24-2013)

I was a little peeved at Jocketty's comments regarding Votto, but I actually think that Price and Votto are going to get along extremely well.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

7. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (10-24-2013),Mario-Rijo (10-28-2013),traderumor (10-25-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I am totally shocked the Reds aren't happy the guy they paid a zillion dollars drove in 71 runs last year. I was under the impression that's totally acceptable.
    That would surely have nothing to do with the fact that Phillips and Bruce hit behind him, two guys that strike absolutely no fear in opposing pitchers.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    That would surely have nothing to do with the fact that Phillips and Bruce hit behind him, two guys that strike absolutely no fear in opposing pitchers.
    Phillips yes. Jay in the cleanup spot would set Joey up nicely, me thinks. BP did just fine with the fastballs he got with runners on and Bruce hitting behind him.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

10. Likes:

jojo (10-23-2013),PepperJack (10-23-2013)

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I was a little peeved at Jocketty's comments regarding Votto, but I actually think that Price and Votto are going to get along extremely well.
    Completely agree. I don't know of a player and manager more suited for each other. Those two are really smart. I'd love to be a fly on the wall when those first couple conversations happen.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

12. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (10-24-2013)

They need to get Ruth and Gehrig back hitting 4/5 so he can get back to 100 ribeyes.

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Phillips yes. Jay in the cleanup spot would set Joey up nicely, me thinks. BP did just fine with the fastballs he got with runners on and Bruce hitting behind him.
    Bruce doesn't scare any pitcher who can throw off speed stuff for strikes. To me, the piece of this offense that consistently avoids warranted criticism is Bruce. He's a fine six hole hitter on a contender, nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    They need to get Ruth and Gehrig back hitting 4/5 so he can get back to 100 ribeyes.
    I'd take one Allen Craig. Or one 2012 Ludwick. Either would do. Wouldn't need both.

16. Likes:

REDREAD (10-24-2013)

I personally was most shocked by the fact that Walt said Joe Morgan was sitting in during some of the discussions/interviews with Price about the managing job. I mean really! I saw him sitting with Castellini at the playoff game but I had no idea he had that kind of place within the organization.

It was a very tell it like it is interview from Walt's perspective. And while he said some things a little off of Votto, when SABR was mentioned, Walt at least used the words that Votto understands the importance of them.

Walt could have again closed the door completely on the trading of Phillips and didn't, so again, either he's gone or a very serious message is being sent to him.

Bruce doesn't scare any pitcher who can throw off speed stuff for strikes. To me, the piece of this offense that consistently avoids warranted criticism is Bruce. He's a fine six hole hitter on a contender, nothing more.
    The he's a "_____ hitter on a contending team" way of describing guys tends to sell them short.

If you think that Bruce is overrated, that's fine. But it is hard to argue that he is neither a league average 4/5 hitter, take your pick.

I'd take one Allen Craig. Or one 2012 Ludwick. Either would do. Wouldn't need both.
    It's a convenient excuse.

Agree on the first part. But he's only twenty-______.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    It's a convenient excuse.
    Excuse for what? OPSing .950?

I'm all about criticizing underperformers; hell, it got me kicked off this board. But I certainly know when to keep my powder dry.

So if I'm reading this correctly, if an organization commits a lot of money to a player, they have no right to be rather picky in expecting big things for the money they're paying?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

23. Likes:

757690 (10-23-2013),Crumbley (10-24-2013),Falcon7 (10-24-2013),Norm Chortleton (10-23-2013),reds44 (10-23-2013)

Turn Off Ads?