Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Walt interview (with Cunningham)

Re: Walt interview (with Cunningham)

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    So, how do you explain guys like Bonds shrinking in the playoffs and guys like Robert Horry almost always hitting the big shot?
    Have you seen his numbers for the only World Series he ever played in?

Basketball and the hitting component of baseball are two different things. But even so, this reputation of Horry's is based on 4-5 shots spanning an entire career. Maybe he just had some skill that showed up in those situations. Maybe those 4-5 shots just so happened to be the normal percentage of shots that went in the hole, but just so happened in critical times of the game. I'm not suggesting it's one or the other. But I don't think you can assume causation over that few plays over the course of a career. Horry's 3 point % for the regular season was 34%. It was 36% in the playoffs. His overall FG % was 42.5% in the regular season and 42.6% in the playoffs. My guess is he was the same player.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Likes:

GullyFoyle (10-24-2013),joshua (10-24-2013),westofyou (10-24-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    This has been pointed out, I'm sure....but why the lengthy conversations around a guy who led the league in runs created?

Isn't the discussion kinda over when you lead the league in the one commodity that makes you win?
    Walt started it, and said he would discuss it with Price and Price with Votto. And if you look through this thread, there is plenty of evidence (including Votto's own words) that Votto, while still productive, had a down season.

The goal is to have everyone perform as well as absolutely possible relative to their ability. Votto was better than anyone else on the team and better than most others in the league, but he isn't only compared to those people. He is compared to himself. In that sense, he had a down year. If something can be done to improve, why wouldn't he and the team address it?

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    Walt started it, and said he would discuss it with Price and Price with Votto. And if you look through this thread, there is plenty of evidence (including Votto's own words) that Votto, while still productive, had a down season.

The goal is to have everyone perform as well as absolutely possible relative to their ability. Votto was better than anyone else on the team and better than most others in the league, but he isn't only compared to those people. He is compared to himself. In that sense, he had a down year. If something can be done to improve, why wouldn't he and the team address it?
    How can you lead the league in runs created and have a down season?

He had more than Goldschmidt...Choo...I'm lost here.

6. Likes:

joshua (10-24-2013),New Fever (10-24-2013),wheels (10-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by HUHUH View Post
    Say what you want about Votto's offensive production in 2013. Where he fell on his face was outside the batters box. Defense was bad, baserunning bad, didn't run out ground balls, seemed disinterested, couldn't remember how many outs there are - - - - for $220 million, THESE are the things they should demand he improve on, immediately!
    and refusing to slide.
    Huh? Huh-uh. Oh yeah, uh-huh.

As usual, if you only look at one stat -- whatever the stat -- you don't see everything you need to see.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

So, how do you explain guys like Bonds shrinking in the playoffs and guys like Robert Horry almost always hitting the big shot?
    Incredibly insufficient data to form any kind of conclusion.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

10. Likes:

RedsManRick (10-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Yeah, it should be until someone poo-poos RC as being 'theoretical' and then tangents into a discussion of 'clutch'; a concept involving a ton more fairy dust, magical jelly beans, and unicorns than RC does.
    Forget the word clutch. It's canard that people use on both sides to muddy the waters. I apologize for using that loaded word, it simply was a matter of laziness on my part.

Do you think that Votto performed as expected with RISP, with runners on base, late in close games and in high leverage situations? The empirical evidence overwhelming says that he did not.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

12. Likes:

Falcon7 (10-25-2013)

Because runs created is a theoretical number. Most of the time it mirrors actual production, but when more closely examined, like in Votto's 2013 season, it doesn't properly reflect reality. A more detailed look at Votto's numbers in 2013 reveal that he likely didn't create as many runs as the theoretical stat "runs created" suggests he did.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

14. Likes:

REDREAD (10-25-2013)

Bonds in the WS: .471 /.700/1.294 OPS: 1.994

Horry in the WS: .000/.000/.000 OPS: 0.000
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

16. Likes:

757690 (10-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Because runs created is a theoretical number. Most of the time it mirrors actual production, but when more closely examined, like in Votto's 2013 season, it doesn't properly reflect reality. A more detailed look at Votto's numbers in 2013 reveal that he likely didn't create as many runs as the theoretical stat "runs created" suggests he did.
    Do tell? What makes you conclude that?
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

18. Likes:

joshua (10-24-2013),Redeyecat (10-24-2013)

Votto himself says he had a down season (as has been pointed out ad infinitum here). He said he "never got it going offensively." then mentioned defense. Do you disagree with him, also?

20. Likes:

Falcon7 (10-25-2013)

Pimpin...literally!!! dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Incredibly insufficient data to form any kind of conclusion.
    I don't know, I just can't say that it is pure chance, or whatever people want to call it. It doesn't explain to me thow a guy can have 1 set of numbers during the regular season over a career, and then be way better or way worse during the playoffs. I understand there are small sample sizes, like it's their 1st post season, but there are guys out there that have multiple playoffs that suck during the postseason. I think that being clutch or not is one of those things that someone will never convince me doesnt exist. Not trying to be an ass or nothing!!!

Also, to the poster who had mentioned Bonds WS appearance. Yeah, he was good in that WS, but what about all those post seasons he had in Pittsburgh, before the roids? You cant explain that away.

22. Likes:

Falcon7 (10-25-2013),TSJ55 (10-24-2013)

There absolutely is such thing as clutch. Some people handle pressure situations better than others. That's a truism.

Defining it, however, much less knowing how to quantify it, is a whole other issue.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

24. Likes:

757690 (10-24-2013),Falcon7 (10-25-2013),Old school 1983 (10-25-2013),redsfanmia (10-24-2013),villain612 (10-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Do tell? What makes you conclude that?
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...&postcount=165

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    If he's not crushing the stuff they do throw over the plate, the walk rate's going to come down eventually.
    I'm actually amazed it hasn't already.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Turn Off Ads?