Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 328

Thread: Walt interview (with Cunningham)

  1. #106
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,080

    Re: Walt interview (with Cunningham)

    Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    You mean like like not calling them liars or texting during games?
    Am I missing something where players were tweeting or texting during games? This is new news to me...interested to hear what happened.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

  2. Likes:

    Redeyecat (10-24-2013)

  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #107
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    25,060

    Re: Walt interview (with Cunningham)

    Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Didn't Votto literally say he never got it going at the plate? He takes more crap than he deserves, but I don't quite get the infallibility of Votto on the other side of the coin either.
    Saying you want more out of yourself is healthy. Someone else saying, I think he should do things differently; well, I don't know. Seems like a monumental waste of resources to take something that's working and mess with it.

  5. #108
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,581

    Re: Walt interview (with Cunningham)

    Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    You mean like like not calling them liars or texting during games?
    Strawman for $500, Alex. I never said I had a problem with management having an issue with those things.

    Personally, though, I don't see why any of those are a big deal if they aren't impacting his actual performance (which is what they're paying for), and there's no evidence that tweeting, texting or media interviews are hurting Phillips' performance in any way.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  6. #109
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    19,111

    Re: Walt interview (with Cunningham)

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Strawman for $500, Alex. I never said I had a problem with management having an issue with those things.

    Personally, though, I don't see why any of those are a big deal if they aren't impacting his actual performance (which is what they're paying for), and there's no evidence that tweeting, texting or media interviews are hurting Phillips' performance in any way.
    There is no evidence that they aren't. There are studies after studies that demonstrate that texting decreases performance. Social science suggests Phillips shouldn't be tweeting.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  7. #110
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Flipadelphia
    Posts
    5,452

    Re: Walt interview (with Cunningham)

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Strawman for $500, Alex. I never said I had a problem with management having an issue with those things.

    Personally, though, I don't see why any of those are a big deal if they aren't impacting his actual performance (which is what they're paying for), and there's no evidence that tweeting, texting or media interviews are hurting Phillips' performance in any way.


    I'm sure willing to bet that they thought it would be swell if he didn't make them look bad in any shape or form to the media either.

    I have no idea what it does to his performance, but it can't help if his mind isn't on them game for those 3 hours.( I know their work days are longer, but doing that before a game is less of a deal.)

  8. #111
    Member Superdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,805

    Re: Walt interview (with Cunningham)

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Saying you want more out of yourself is healthy. Someone else saying, I think he should do things differently; well, I don't know. Seems like a monumental waste of resources to take something that's working and mess with it.
    I guess I'm not offended because I assume these opinions are now held by intelligent baseball people that understand Votto's strengths. It's not like it was Dusty rambling about base clogging. If Jocketty and Price think they can get Joey back to being unstoppable MVP Joey, I'd hardly call that a monumental waste of anything.

  9. #112
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    25,060

    Re: Walt interview (with Cunningham)

    Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    I guess I'm not offended because I assume these opinions are now held by intelligent baseball people that understand Votto's strengths. It's not like it was Dusty rambling about base clogging. If Jocketty and Price think they can get Joey back to being unstoppable MVP Joey, I'd hardly call that a monumental waste of anything.
    My guess is that they have no idea how to turn a .950 hitter into a 1.050 hitter.

    I would argue that they have a much bigger problem when their GM does absolutely nothing for 6 months to address the loss of their clean up hitter on day one.

    But I also don't expect that level of self awareness or reflection from a GM who's in tight with the owner.

  10. #113
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4,526

    Re: Walt interview (with Cunningham)

    Hate to complicate things but when Price is having this discussion with Joey about his offensive approach, could he spend a minute discussing his defensive approach and his running the bases approach.
    Last edited by Mutaman; 10-23-2013 at 11:10 PM.

  11. Likes:

    bengalsown (10-24-2013), Crumbley (10-24-2013), moewan (10-24-2013), TSJ55 (10-23-2013)

  12. #114
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Flipadelphia
    Posts
    5,452

    Re: Walt interview (with Cunningham)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Hate to complicate things but when Price having this discussion with Joey about his offensive approach, could he spend a minute discussing his defensive approach and his running the bases approach.

    For what it's worth, Votto kinda brought that up himself, and thought an offseason spent working on baseball drills as opposed to doing rehab for the knee would help.

  13. Likes:

    Crumbley (10-24-2013), HeatherC1212 (10-24-2013)

  14. #115
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    11,208

    Re: Walt interview (with Cunningham)

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    My guess is that they have no idea how to turn a .950 hitter into a 1.050 hitter.
    No need to do that. Just make sure the .950 hitter hits better in the clutch.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  15. Likes:

    SidneySlicker (10-24-2013)

  16. #116
    Pimpin...literally!!! dubc47834's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Terre Haute, In
    Posts
    1,496

    Re: Walt interview (with Cunningham)

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    My guess is that they have no idea how to turn a .950 hitter into a 1.050 hitter.

    I would argue that they have a much bigger problem when their GM does absolutely nothing for 6 months to address the loss of their clean up hitter on day one.

    But I also don't expect that level of self awareness or reflection from a GM who's in tight with the owner.
    I love armchair GM's who think it's so easy to go out and make a deal for a #4 hitter that can make a difference but be on the cheap. I mean, GMs do it every year right?

  17. #117
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    25,060

    Re: Walt interview (with Cunningham)

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    No need to do that. Just make sure the .950 hitter hits better in the clutch.
    Man, if you can unwind the clutch puzzle...you could certainly cover Votto's contract.

  18. #118
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    25,060

    Re: Walt interview (with Cunningham)

    Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    I love armchair GM's who think it's so easy to go out and make a deal for a #4 hitter that can make a difference but be on the cheap. I mean, GMs do it every year right?
    In contending seasons on teams with very narrow contention windows? Yeah, too much to ask, you're right.

  19. #119
    Pimpin...literally!!! dubc47834's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Terre Haute, In
    Posts
    1,496

    Re: Walt interview (with Cunningham)

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    In contending seasons on teams with very narrow contention windows? Yeah, too much to ask, you're right.
    Then don't act like Walt hasn't made big moves every year to improve this team. Just because he didn't make a move whenFCB wanted him to doesn't mean he isn't trying!!!

  20. #120
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8,110

    Re: Walt interview (with Cunningham)

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    In contending seasons on teams with very narrow contention windows? Yeah, too much to ask, you're right.
    I've got them at 4 years of contention/expected contention and counting...

  21. Likes:

    Crumbley (10-24-2013), dubc47834 (10-23-2013), PepperJack (10-23-2013)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25