Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Walt interview (with Cunningham)

Re: Walt interview (with Cunningham)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Man, if you can unwind the clutch puzzle...you could certainly cover Votto's contract.
    Most likely it won't take anything, just Votto getting back to his old self. But it's definitely worth worrying about, even if you don't know exactly how to change it.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

2011 was contention? I count two seasons. And number three ain't lookin real likely.
    3 outa 4 in the playoffs....where'd you come up with this 2? Then the next couple years is looking good to me also. Someone needs to remove the blinders and wake up and see the future is still bright!!!

4. Likes:

Redeyecat (10-24-2013)

2011 was contention? I count two seasons. And number three ain't lookin real likely.
    2 years of contention? Jay Bruce is a 6-hole hitter?

I give you credit, you know how to paint a portrait of doom.

6. Likes:

Crumbley (10-24-2013),dubc47834 (10-23-2013),Edd Roush (10-24-2013),HeatherC1212 (10-24-2013),Norm Chortleton (10-23-2013),Old school 1983 (10-24-2013),Redeyecat (10-24-2013),RedlegJake (10-23-2013),RedsfaninMT (10-23-2013),VottoFan54 (10-24-2013),Wonderful Monds (10-23-2013)

For a team like the Reds and for the money they are paying Votto, he has to be the kind of guy you drive the stake in the ground and base the team around. He has to be the kind of guy that says "climb on my back boys, I'm taking you to the championship".

If he is a complimentary player, that doesn't hack it for the contract that he has. You can get those for less that $20M+ a year, He needs to be more than that.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

8. Likes:

Falcon7 (10-25-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    For a team like the Reds and for the money they are paying Votto, he has to be the kind of guy you drive the stake in the ground and base the team around. He has to be the kind of guy that says "climb on my back boys, I'm taking you to the championship".

If he is a complimentary player, that doesn't hack it for the contract that he has. You can get those for less that $20M+ a year, He needs to be more than that.
    .305/.435/.491/.916 101 Runs, 6.2 fWAR.

16th Batting Average in all of baseball, 10th in NL. Leads all of baseball in walks, 2nd in OBP in all of baseball, 1st in NL. 8th OPS in all of baseball, 4th in NL. 4th in runs created in all of baseball, 1st in NL.

Is he not hitting enough homers? He had 24.2 AB/HR. That's less than Andrew McCutchen, Adrian Gonzales, Josh Hamilton and Alex Gordon.

Who is better to build a team around? Going by runs created only Miguel Cabrera, Mike Trout and Chris Davis' possible fluke season. That's it.

What exactly about Joey Votto says complimentary player? Because he's not being Hunter Pence in the dugout before games? Because he's not spewing cliche's at the camera before and after games? Because he's not getting in people's faces? I'll take .300/.400/.500 over all of that nonsense 8 days a week.

10. Likes:

Drugs Delaney (10-25-2013),dubc47834 (10-24-2013),Falls City Beer (10-23-2013),Gapper (10-24-2013),gilpdawg (10-24-2013),HeatherC1212 (10-24-2013),Larkin Fan (10-23-2013),RadfordVA (10-24-2013),Raisor (10-24-2013),Redeyecat (10-24-2013),RedTeamGo! (10-25-2013)

"So Fla Red"

Very well stated.

I think Votto will assume more of a leadership role with a manager at the helm that won't be pulling and tweaking the Vottomobile in the opposite direction. Price can help set the record straight on the value of Votto to the media and fanase.

This is baseball. That sort of player doesn't exist.

jvs

13. Likes:

joshua (10-23-2013),Larkin Fan (10-24-2013),westofyou (10-23-2013)

Here is a list of everyone making 20M in 2013:

Alex Rodriquez 30M
    Cliff Lee 25M
    Johan Santana 23.6M
    Mark Teixeira 23M
    Prince Fielder 23M
    Joe Mauer 23M
    CC Sabathia 23M
    Tim Lincecum 22.25M
    Zack Greinke 21M
    Vernon Wells 21M
    Matt Cain 20.8M
    Cole Hamels 20.5M
    Matt Kemp 20.25M
    Justin Verlander 20.1M
    Roy Halladay 20M
    Barry Zito 20M
    Carl Crawford 20M
    Ryan Howard 20M

How many of those guys' seasons would you take over Votto's 2013, that he was paid a measly 17M for? How many would you take over Votto next year?

Joey had a bit of a down year, by his standards, this year, but he absolutely earned his money. The end of his contract will probably be ugly, but that really is just the nature of those types of deals.

jvs

15. Likes:

Drugs Delaney (10-25-2013),joshua (10-24-2013),RadfordVA (10-24-2013),Redeyecat (10-24-2013),wheels (10-24-2013)

"So Fla Red"

Mauer is the only one not in a large market.

The length of the contract is the issue, Votto is still a relative bargain piecemealing it out on the accounting front over the next few seasons.

You have to believe the Reds thought he was the former when they signed him to that deal. It's not like they didn't have any evidence of what kind of player he was. He had the better part of 4 years with the Reds at the time he signed that contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rock of Truth View Post
    Is it ever up to the Player when they have an agent like Boras?
    Yes. See Jason Varitek. The fact is about 95% of players who hit the open market just tell their agent to get the most money possible.
    Stick to your guns.

19. Likes:

REDREAD (10-24-2013),SidneySlicker (10-24-2013)

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

But I don't see him as a complimentary player. To some extent, Walt failed to compliment HIM, most notably in LF where it's fairly easy to find good bats. To some extent, the his teammates failed. Hanigan was much worse than he ever has been. Frazier went from above average to below average. Phillips was bad at the end. Votto scored a bunch of runs. If he had someone decent behind him, he'd probably drive in a bunch of runs too. I think it's disgraceful that the organization undervalues him so much. As much as I couldn't stand Jim Bowden, he was very strong at singing the praises of Larkin as a future Hall-of-Famer when that sentiment was far from unanimous.
    Stick to your guns.

21. Likes:

joshua (10-24-2013),Larkin Fan (10-23-2013),wheels (10-24-2013)

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    But I don't see him as a complimentary player. To some extent, Walt failed to compliment HIM, most notably in LF where it's fairly easy to find good bats. To some extent, the his teammates failed. Hanigan was much worse than he ever has been. Frazier went from above average to below average. Phillips was bad at the end. Votto scored a bunch of runs. If he had someone decent behind him, he'd probably drive in a bunch of runs too. I think it's disgraceful that the organization undervalues him so much. As much as I couldn't stand Jim Bowden, he was very strong at singing the praises of Larkin as a future Hall-of-Famer when that sentiment was far from unanimous.
    Walt's comments were a little odd. Maybe the handling of Joey and putting him on an island as a "base clogger" was another factor in Baker's dismissal. It should have been.

I'll reserve judgment until Price weighs in. I think he'll be a great fit for Joey and to help set the record straight on his value.

IMHO, that was Joey listening to Dusty. Things could change. I await the results.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I've been wanting Votto to bat second for years now. I hope that's the end result of this situation.
    Most saber people will tell you that's where he should have been all along, and I agree.

25. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (10-24-2013)

Turn Off Ads?