Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Phillips to KC???

Phillips to KC???

I saw this in Dave Cameron's Fangraphs chat today.......

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/fangraphs-chat-102313/

11:58
    Comment From Ben
    If the Reds and Braves swap Uggla for Phillips, Atlanta will have ALL OF THE DEFENSE.
    11:59
    Dave Cameron: My guess is that Phillips ends up in KC. They need a 2B, he’s exactly their kind of player, and they won’t make Cincinnati take back a bad contract in exchange.

I haven't done any research, but this is interesting. What kind of return could we get from KC? Alex Gordon?

Discuss....

2. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: Phillips to KC???

Definitely not Alex Gordon, lol.

I'd take a couple relievers from KC and spend the savings on Choo and Infante. I'm not comfortable with Broxton as the closer if Chapman is going to the rotation. Kelvin Herrera and Will Smith would do the trick...

The only way he goes to KC is if the Reds take Billy Butler - the Royals are still too cheap to take on that contract without something giving and they are wanting to get rid of Butler to open up the DH spot. That would be my guess. Then you have to find a third partner in the AL to take Butler because he's a pure dee-less DH. So maybe a three way deal. I follow the Royals and I just can't see Glass giving the go ahead for BP's contract unless Butler is gone as part of it.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    The only way he goes to KC is if the Reds take Billy Butler - the Royals are still too cheap to take on that contract without something giving and they are wanting to get rid of Butler to open up the DH spot. That would be my guess. Then you have to find a third partner in the AL to take Butler because he's a pure dee-less DH. So maybe a three way deal. I follow the Royals and I just can't see Glass giving the go ahead for BP's contract unless Butler is gone as part of it.
    Another 3 way trade perhaps? Worked out well for Choo last year.

Alex Gordon is making $10M this coming season I think then $12.5M, with another $12.5 team option..... I don't see why he wouldn't be a possible option.

I don't think that would be a terribly unfair deal, KC would probably have to kick in an extra prospect since it is much easier to find production in the outfield vs 2b.

They have both won gold gloves, and last year they were both all stars.

Alex Gordan in left would be awesome, But who is ready to play 2nd base?

Where are they going to move Soto? Trade Votto for Bautista and put Soto in?

Trade Phillips for Gordon and I suppose you could inquire about a Bailey-for-Profar type of swap. Just thinking out loud, but something like that could be done.

(Note: I'm not as high on Profar as apparently the rest of the world but I don't think the Rangers would say no to that deal if offered)
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Trade Phillips for Gordon and I suppose you could inquire about a Bailey-for-Profar type of swap. Just thinking out loud, but something like that could be done.

(Note: I'm not as high on Profar as apparently the rest of the world but I don't think the Rangers would say no to that deal if offered)
    Profar had a .234 average this year. If you want a guy that can field and not hit, Just get Pookie Reese out of retirement.

I would assume Christian Colon would be included since he would be blocked by Phillips and (call me crazy) Donnie Joseph?

The Royals would be making this aggressive move to try and win. I don't see them trading a member of their core (Gordon) to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    I would assume Christian Colon would be included since he would be blocked by Phillips and (call me crazy) Donnie Joseph?

The Royals would be making this aggressive move to try and win. I don't see them trading a member of their core (Gordon) to make it happen.
    I could see the Reds getting Colon but knowing the cheapskate Royals they'd want to include Bonifacio and Butler and keep Colon. No Gordon - no way they are dealing Gordon. That would be akin to the Reds dealing Bruce in the Royals eyes. Huge fan favorite and the face of the franchise. Arguably the most valuable Royal position player after Salvador Perez (taking into account production, fan favoritism and draw, marketing power). They will not deal Alex.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

knowing the cheapskate Royals they'd want to include Bonifacio and Butler and keep Colon.
    Of course. I'm sure the Reds would like to trade Heisey straight up for Giancarlo Stanton too

The only way he goes to KC is if the Reds take Billy Butler.
    Well the Reds are in the market for a CFer.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

15. Likes:

lollipopcurve (10-24-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (11-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Well the Reds are in the market for a CFer.
    Quit it JoJo...made me spit coffee
    the thought of BB in CF....
    I won't sleep

17. Likes:

Reds&BuckeyeGuy (10-28-2013)

What about taking Wade Davis's contract back in return? I still think he'd make a very effective reliever...

19. Likes:

Farnsie (10-26-2013)

Turn Off Ads?