Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Phillips to KC???

Re: Phillips to KC???

[QUOTE=Gapper;2994942]I saw this in Dave Cameron's Fangraphs chat today.......

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/fangraphs-chat-102313/

11:58
    Comment From Ben
    If the Reds and Braves swap Uggla for Phillips, Atlanta will have ALL OF THE DEFENSE.
    11:59
    Dave Cameron: My guess is that Phillips ends up in KC. They need a 2B, he’s exactly their kind of player, and they won’t make Cincinnati take back a bad contract in exchange.

God I hope we don't get Uggla. I would rather front office swallow their pride and tell BP if he wants to stay here and play for us (I assume he does), he needs to attend classes on public speaking (and speaking in general). I don't want him to lose his "swag", but he can't keep spewing a bunch of crap from his mouth when he shouldn't be doing so.
    Last edited by Reds&BuckeyeGuy; 10-28-2013 at 08:48 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I just don't see what we could get in return from KC

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJ View Post
    I just don't see what we could get in return from KC
    SS Raul Modesi, OF Jorge Bonifacio, RHP Miguel Almonte for three. Getting Emilio to pay 2nd and his brother as a future OFer wouldn't be too bad a haul. Or SS Mondesi with an arm like Almonte or LHer Manaea. KC has some excellent prospects.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

5. Likes:

joshua (10-31-2013),marcshoe (10-28-2013),Revering4Blue (10-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    SS Raul Modesi, OF Jorge Bonifacio, RHP Miguel Almonte for three. Getting Emilio to pay 2nd and his brother as a future OFer wouldn't be too bad a haul. Or SS Mondesi with an arm like Almonte or LHer Manaea. KC has some excellent prospects.
    No, just no. This team has guys that can win now, I don't want to have a hole at second base and in the lineup for the next two years while a prospect gets ready. If the Reds trade Phillips they better get a guy in return that is major league ready. If he isn't at the same level as Phillips they better get some cash and a prospect or two in return. If the other team isn't willing to kick in either cash or a prospect, they better kick in a solid reliever or a bat for the bench that is better than what the Reds currently have, and at a very reasonable salary.

This deal better also free up enough cash to allow the Reds to resign Choo. That's what better happen with Phillips, anything else and it is a terrible trade.

The freeing up cash bit is why a deal as described above wouldn't just be a move for the future--it would allow the Reds to afford an extra bat now.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

8. Likes:

Edd Roush (10-30-2013),joshua (10-31-2013),Reds&BuckeyeGuy (10-29-2013),Revering4Blue (10-29-2013)

All the trade talk is fun, but in the end I think there were be very few changes made to the overall roster by Walt. I think the Reds know the talent is here to win now, and while their are a couple issues, given the limited budget and need to get Latos and or Bailey signed. to trade Phillips means either taken trash in return (Uggla) and or a high contract. The Reds made a mistake in the deal with Phillips, and will have to live with it.

^^If we keep Phillips, it will really hurt us in trying to get Choo, Latos or Bailey signed.

11. Likes:

Reds&BuckeyeGuy (10-29-2013)

^^If we keep Phillips, it will really hurt us in trying to get Choo, Latos or Bailey signed.
    Choo not returning, his agent is going to get HUGE money the Reds can't afford. As for Latos and Bailey, the monies are there for them, just if they want to stay here.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Fan View Post
    Choo not returning, his agent is going to get HUGE money the Reds can't afford. As for Latos and Bailey, the monies are there for them, just if they want to stay here.
    Choo is not out yet. There is definitely a chance we get him back.

I have a question about Choo. If we keep him does that mean Hamilton sits the bench, or stays in Louisville? Or does it mean we start Hamilton in center, Choo moves to left and Lud goes to the bench? Please excuse me if this has been covered in this thread because I haven't read the whole thread. I personally believe BH is ready to play on a regular basis.

15. Likes:

Old school 1983 (10-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Reds Fan View Post
    I have a question about Choo. If we keep him does that mean Hamilton sits the bench, or stays in Louisville? Or does it mean we start Hamilton in center, Choo moves to left and Lud goes to the bench? Please excuse me if this has been covered in this thread because I haven't read the whole thread. I personally believe BH is ready to play on a regular basis.
    Some think Hamilton needs another full year in Louisville to work on his hitting and eye at the plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Reds Fan View Post
    It all depends. I think if you have Choo, and BHam plays well in spring training, you have to give him a shot and let Choo play left. Ludwick obviously becomes the 4th outfielder then.

18. Likes:

malcontent (10-30-2013),Old Reds Fan (10-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    No, just no. This team has guys that can win now, I don't want to have a hole at second base and in the lineup for the next two years while a prospect gets ready. If the Reds trade Phillips they better get a guy in return that is major league ready. If he isn't at the same level as Phillips they better get some cash and a prospect or two in return. If the other team isn't willing to kick in either cash or a prospect, they better kick in a solid reliever or a bat for the bench that is better than what the Reds currently have, and at a very reasonable salary.

This deal better also free up enough cash to allow the Reds to resign Choo. That's what better happen with Phillips, anything else and it is a terrible trade.
    Getting prospects for BP isn't a bad deal at all if they are good enough. You use part of his money to get a guy like Infante to fill his spot. The rest can go toward future salary for Choo or extending Latos or bringing in someone else. I'd take either of the KC deals I proposed over anything Uggla from Atlanta. The Reds have veterans already here - adding talented youngsters isn't going to ruin things as long as a couple of them are ready to step up or money saved can be used to bring in another vet.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

20. Likes:

joshua (10-31-2013),marcshoe (10-29-2013),Reds&BuckeyeGuy (10-29-2013),Revering4Blue (10-29-2013)

It all depends. I think if you have Choo, and BHam plays well in spring training, you have to give him a shot and let Choo play left. Ludwick obviously becomes the 4th outfielder then.
    Agreed.

I agree with RedlegJake. KC has some great prospects, and it wouldn't hurt to add young talent (I think we'll make a qualifying offer to Bronson so we can get that extra pick if he ends up elsewhere). Gordon is a pipe dream. He's younger than BP and hiss "off year" last year was about the best Brandon has to offer. The other factor is that he's left handed, and we need right handed bats.

The money freed from moving Brandon would certainly be put back into the team somewhere, or maybe adding one prospect allows us to send another away with Broxton so someone will take his contract. Obviously, there are a lot of possibilities. Brandon may stay, and I'm not opposed to that, either, as long as everyone kisses and makes up. I think ultimately, Walt will get Price's opinion on whether or not he thinks Brandon fits into the clubhouse.

I don't think we are completely out of the running for Choo, but it is probably a long shot. I'm also not sure Hamilton is quite ready, but it would also be hard to keep his game changing abilities off of a team with championship aspirations.

I think we'll see several things happen this offseason, but who knows what, exactly. I'm excited to see how it unfolds.

Turn Off Ads?