Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joey Votto Vs. Miguel Cabrera

Joey Votto Vs. Miguel Cabrera

Just a comparison of their approaches.

O-Swing%: The percentage of pitches a batter swings at outside the strike zone.
    Z-Swing%: The percentage of pitches a batter swings at inside the strike zone.
    Swing%: The overall percentage of pitches a batter swings at.
    Zone%: The overall percentage of pitches a batter sees inside the strike zone.

Miguel Cabrera

Joey Votto

Last edited by junkhead; 10-24-2013 at 09:48 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Joey Votto Vs. Miguel Cabrera

Do you mind explaining what the O sing, Z Swing % mean or give a link to where they are defined?

I just don't understand why this matters. All this proves is that they have different approaches at the plate. Nothing more, nothing less. There is nothing here that indicates that Votto would be better if he swung at more pitches in the zone or that Cabrera would be worse if he didn't.

Votto is a great player. He was still a great player in 2013 even though he wasn't quite what some people wanted him to be.

Comparing Joey's 2010 to his 2013 would likely be much more meaningful.
    Last edited by Alpha Zero; 10-24-2013 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Do you mind explaining what the O sing, Z Swing % mean or give a link to where they are defined?
    O-Swing%: The percentage of pitches a batter swings at outside the strike zone.

Z-Swing%: The percentage of pitches a batter swings at inside the strike zone.

Swing%: The overall percentage of pitches a batter swings at.

O-Contact%: The percentage of pitches a batter makes contact with outside the strike zone when swinging the bat.

Z-Contact%: The percentage of pitches a batter makes contact with inside the strike zone when swinging the bat.

Contact%: The overall percentage of a batter makes contact with when swinging the bat.

Zone%: The overall percentage of pitches a batter sees inside the strike zone.

Other than academic interest I am not sure what this points out. Votto is Votto. Cabrera is Cabrera. This is pointless. JV will never be MC and vice versa.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    I just don't understand why this matters. All this proves is that they have different approaches at the plate. Nothing more, nothing less. There is nothing here that indicates that Votto would be better if he swung at more pitches in the zone or that Cabrera would be worse if he didn't.

Votto is a great player. He was still a great player in 2013 even though he wasn't quite what some people wanted him to be.

Well, itís just for fun.

i get that these types of things are just for fun, but can you imagine how players of the past would get picked apart? Ted Williams, the last player to hit .400 never swung a low and outside pitch. He said he knew even if he did hit it, it was not going to be a productive swing. Would we be telling him to expand his strike zone?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post

Quote Originally Posted by junkhead View Post
    Well, itís just for fun.
    Like I said, as an academic thing its interesting enough. I just don't see anything to really take from it. But, I do enjoy the charts and stats you dig up junkhead, so don't take it as a big criticism or anything.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock of Truth View Post
    i get that these types of things are just for fun, but can you imagine how players of the past would get picked apart? Ted Williams, the last player to hit .400 never swung a low and outside pitch. He said he knew even if he did hit it, it was not going to be a productive swing. Would we be telling him to expand his strike zone?
    The Boston baseball writers made a career out of it, count on all the hitting coaches at home to do it for Votto

12. Likes:

Big Klu (10-25-2013), Larkin Fan (10-24-2013)

Next up compare Roy Cullenbine and Shawon Dunston

Ted Williams was doing these analyses on himself thirty years before Bill James invented baseball. Williams was probably the most intellectual, analytical hitter out there. If he found a way to change his approach, he probably did it.

15. Likes:

wolfboy (10-24-2013)

I understand your point, but if he won the MVP swinging at it, then stopped, then had worse seasons... it would have been understandable to at least ask the question.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    Ted Williams was doing these analyses on himself thirty years before Bill James invented baseball. Williams was probably the most intellectual, analytical hitter out there. If he found a way to change his approach, he probably did it.
    And even before Williams was born other guys were doing it as shown in F.C. Lane's Batting

i'm sure someone will point out that this belongs somewhere else but speaking of comparisons I keep wondering why McCutcheon is the front runner for the MVP and Votto is barely mentioned....looking at their raw numbers they weren't all that different

Turn Off Ads?