Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: How confident are you in Walt Jocketty's ability moving forward?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am confident in Walt Jocketty's ability moving forward.

86 79.63%
  • I am not confident in Walt Jocketty's ability moving forward.

22 20.37%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Walt Jocketty

Walt Jocketty

Notice it is without an R in Jocketty. Also after the fiasco of the last month, how confident are you in Walt Jocketty?

Things considered
    1. Past Performance
    2. Future Performance
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Walt Jocketty

I am confident in Jocketty all things considered. There are money ramifications, limitations based on the dearth of decent prospects in at AA and especially AAA and some contract concerns but he is as capable, imo, as any GM could be, of working within those limitations. What Cast and the ownership group allow him budget wise will be a big factor, also how hard a line Cast has made about BP's status with the club. I am not entirely optimistic about 2014 but it's not Walt so much as money and the timing of the prospect ladder. I am optimistic about 2015 and beyond.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

broxton
    ludwick
    ondruszek

I dont think the Cards would have done that

I am confident with Walt moving forward. I think that the Byrd 'non-move' was bad, but I also think a lot of non-moves and moves were predicated on Dusty and his ways.

I think that the interview he gave yesterday is telling. He made it obvious, at least to me, that the front office is no longer going to what has happened the past few years. From Votto and Chapman being underutilized to BP talking out. I am not sure what moves if any Walt has up his sleeves, but I think this offseason is a telling one for this team and franchise and IMO Walt seems to be ready to steer the ship in the right direction.
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

Ask me in March. This offseason is easily his trickiest since coming here.

7. Likes:

Fil3232 (10-25-2013)

I'm confident he can put together the best Reds team since I've been following the team on a daily basis (99'). He already has. However there is a reason he was pushed out of St. Louis and the team has gotten better since he left.

9. Likes:

Reds&BuckeyeGuy (10-24-2013)

Now that he finally has "his guy" in the dugout, I think things might run more smoothly.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

11. Likes:

Norm Chortleton (10-24-2013),Old school 1983 (11-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by bob jones View Post
    broxton
    ludwick
    ondruszek

Ty Wigginton

Also next season Jason Motte makes more than any Reds relievers. No Front Office is without moves that did not work out.
    Last edited by RadfordVA; 10-24-2013 at 11:23 AM.

13. Likes:

LexRedsFan (10-24-2013),m21eagle45 (10-27-2013),Old school 1983 (11-28-2013),REDREAD (10-24-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (10-24-2013),Tom Servo (10-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Now that he finally has "his guy" in the dugout, I think things might run more smoothly.
    Agree. I am 99% confident in Walt. I don't think he ever wanted Baker as manager or ever felt truly comfortable with him in the dugout, because of their differing philosophies. I'm hopeful Castellini will now allow Jocketty and the other baseball people to be in total charge of all baseball decisions.

15. Likes:

malcontent (10-24-2013),Old school 1983 (10-24-2013)

Walt's a pretty good GM. He isn't the best, but he's probably above average. He has made some fantastic acquisitions (Choo, Latos, Chapman, Marshall, etc.), and he has drafted quite well. He has made some boneheaded moves (Broxton, Ludwick, etc.), but so far the good has outweighed the bad. He rarely gets a steal when trading but by the same token, he doesn't often overpay in deals either. He's got a steady hand, and I think he's a solid GM for a contending team.

"So Fla Red"

Walt Jocketty, Jim Bowden, Walt, Jim...

Confident, but will need to be a busy guy this offseason with a little bit of magic.

Where's the Neutral button?

19. Likes:

Unassisted (10-27-2013)

Lot of shots at Dusty throughout the various threads. Some well taken, some not.

But I'm sympathetic to Baker since the front office gave him zero help during the season despite injuries and other holes. With the possible exception of Zach Duke (who was a minor league pickup initially) the Front Office added nobody to help the major league team. All season.

Walt seems to be poised for an active and helpful off-season and I'm optimistic he can do it. But I think the FO was not very helpful during the 2013 season.

21. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-24-2013),jimbo (10-27-2013),Old NDN (10-27-2013),Slyder (11-28-2013),westofyou (10-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by bob jones View Post
    broxton
    ludwick
    ondruszek

Sure they would have.
    Cards traded for Rpzensenski or whatever his name was recently (and gave up a starting CF) and then soured on him just this year when he had a rough start.. Rpzensenski was banished to the minors then traded to Cleveland where he flourished. Imagine if something like that happened on the Reds. Plenty of venom directed at management for something like that.

Cards have signed plenty of veteran relievers that ended up injured or cut.
    That's just the risk you take with relievers. You will have some attrition.
    You fight that with depth, like Broxton. Just think if Parra and Hoover had gotten injured instead of Marshall and Broxton.. Then Walt looks like a genius for having the foresight to sign these guys.

I don't get the rage over keeping Logan around. He made slightly over 1 million, and was stashed at AAA, and was useful when needed. For the price the Reds paid, they got decent value from Logan.. Naturally, he's not a star, but not a bad guy to have for depth. There's certainly worse pitchers in other teams bullpens..

Ludwick.. Ok.. you let Ludwick walk. Now you have to find another LF that can hit cleanup for very little money (Ludwick's deal is backloaded).. I guess you'd have to be prepared to trade a top prospect or go fishing for a rehab project like Jason Bay. Ludwick was a good signing, he just got hurt. It's fair to criticize Walt for not making a move to fix LF after Ludwick got hurt, but Ludwick almost OPSed 900 in 2012.. Why wouldn't you want to bring a guy like that back?
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Jocketty is going to have to be more active than he has been in the past. He has a history of making no more than one significant move per season, sometimes none. He is going to have to make more than one move this winter. This team has holes that can be fixed. He needs to get the job done this time.

24. Likes:

George Anderson (10-28-2013),joshua (10-24-2013),Old school 1983 (10-24-2013),Revering4Blue (10-24-2013),WMR (10-28-2013)

Turn Off Ads?