Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radio Hosts

Radio Hosts

I was wondering for the RZ'ers in the Cincy area or even the ones who may listen to the Cincy radio stations who is your favorite radio host for the talk shows.

I do not even know of all of the hosts, but given my work hours, I mostly listen to Lance McAlister, Mo Egger, and occasionally Tracy Jones. What does everybody think about these guys as well as the other ones?
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Radio Hosts

Does the Chiquita Banana Phone count?
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Im probably 1 one of the few who love Cunningham and Marty.

5. Likes:

Sea Ray (10-25-2013)

I don't mind listening to Lance. I think he frequents this board, as many of his topics and ideas are similar to what you'll find through these threads. Unlike most of talking heads over at 700WLW, Lance seems to be on the more "level-headed" side, which I like. While I disagree with some of his stances, I enjoy listening to him here and there.

Many call him a "homer" as he typically has a positive outlook. I don't know if I buy into that. His job would be pretty bleak and I doubt he'd attract many listeners if he were a pessimist.

Mo Egger seems to whine a bit much, and has always come off as a know-it-all to me. Not a big fan of his.

Notice Lance doesn't yell, I LOVE WINNING! after Charlie Sheen's breakdown?

Like I said, I have only listened to Lance and Mo. Although, last night I heard Mark Amazon and thought he had a decent show, but not enough to judge him on.

I mainly am asking about this because for a while I really liked Mo. He has a younger voice and was always on when I got in the car. Of course this is when I was 19 and 20 years old and the Reds had their magical 2010 season. But lately to me, it seems like Mo is terrible. He rambles so much and gives very little content. He just sits there and literally asks questions to himself so he can keep going on one topic. Also he gives the time at least twice between breaks. "20 minutes after 5 o'clock" or "15 minutes til 6." It is like he is counting down until he can get out of there.

Lance on the other hand is very good IMO. Whoever said he comes to these boards is probably right. I know that multiple times he talks about or mentions Doug and his website regarding the minor leaguers. He gives you a lot of content to chew on and I like that he fields a lot of calls. He offers callers another side to their points, no matter how dumb or smart they are. I also like that he is very active on Twitter and email. He has messaged me back on both mediums very quickly the same way he would a caller.

Listened to an hour or so of Lance's tuesday show, I have never heard a bigger jock sniffing brown noser in my entire life. You'd think Sam LeCure and Zack Cozart were Dave Chappelle and George Carlin the way Lance was belly laughing.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I like Mo.

Lance? Eh...
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Lance is usually really weak interview...questions like: "That game was really great, wasn't it?"

I wish our sports radio was dual hosts. I really don't like the one host rambling for hours, and that is all it is. I listen to Cleveland sports radio a lot and from 8am to 6pm, they have 3 different 4 hour shows. They all have a radio pro teamed with a former athlete that can really talk well (not a Lapham type). I like that format.

12. Likes:

joshua (10-25-2013)

Lance sucks. His whole schtick is to play devil's advocate and try to get enraged hillbillies to call up and complain.

Loved Mo since 07. Still love Mo

I am a daily Mo listener. I get annoyed with his takes sometimes, but his show is good and almost always on topic of Reds/Bengals/Bearcats, which are the only sports I care about. I also appreciate that he's very available at BWs or Holy Grail or before/after shows or even on twitter. I think that's help him build some loyalty here.

Lance has a lot of tangents IMO and seems to be less actual sports content. I don't hate him by any means though.

I am not a WLW guy so I don't really know the others.

Just heard that Votto will be on sports talk (lance) tonight at 610

Phil Samp remains my go to guy.
    Where we gonna go?

18. Likes:

mth123 (10-26-2013)

Not being a Cincy resident, I can't really say. But I've been listening to the Lance McAlister interviews and I think he does a really good job. He's clearly knowledgable about the sabermetric angle, but he does a good job of asking pointed questions that provide an opportunity for an insightful response, but without pushing so hard so as to make guys uncomfortable or to be argumentative.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?