Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Choo

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: Choo

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Giants have been trying to "fix" Panda's weight for years. Not happening.
    Even so, it's only been a problem this year. It's not like the guy was ever crazy trim when he was putting up good defensive numbers.

2. Turn Off Ads?

See, I'm of the mind that there is no reason to move Frazier. I expect him to be more like the 4 months he was decent to very, very good, than the two months he was really, really bad.

LF could be Choo's, if the Reds believe Hamilton is ready. I happen to fall in the camp that is leaning towards the job is his to lose in ST.

So where does that leave the Reds? Cozart was markedly better in the second half; .282 .315 .400 .715 with albeit a surprising dropoff in doubles. I think he's just a .700 OPS bat with a very good glove and arm. And I can take that at the bottom of the order. Mesorocco showed glimpses, Hanigan had a very down year, but he's never been a power threat.

I think the issue only is sign Choo. If that isn't possible find a LF that is an available FA or one teams are shopping. I don't know how the Mets feel about Lucas Duda, but this is his line against RH pitching: .240 .369 .462 .831 Seems like a good platoon partner for Heisey .259 .316 .494 .810 against LH pitching. Leake actually might be too much. I'd offer Ondrusek.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Giving away runs on defense? With Sandoval, who is a positive defender for his career?
    You keep focusing on "career". His last two seasons he was -0.3 and -0.4

And he's getting fatter.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Giants have been trying to "fix" Panda's weight for years. Not happening.
    It's one thing to try and motivate a player in the middle of a contract and another thing entirely to have that player playing for a new contract.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    You keep focusing on "career". His last two seasons he was -0.3 and -0.4

And he's getting fatter.
    Wha? Sandoval was -2 this year, but +2 last year.

Giving away runs on defense? With Sandoval, who is a positive defender for his career?
    Unfortunately, his historical performance is only relevant insofar as it helps us project his future. He has had exactly one notably above average year, 2011. His most recent year, he was slightly below average. As we've discussed, he is a large man. He is quite unlikely to get better.

If the case for Sandoval is predicated on him being Todd Frazier's equal as a defender in 2014, it's hardly a case at all.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by SidneySlicker View Post
    Because he's proven in his career that he has the ability to be an elite batter. Todd Frazier has never done such. If you are going to have the choice of two players coming off of similar seasons, it only seems logical to choose the one who's shown the offensive ability to be a two time all star in his career over one who's been ordinary to below average. You can't seriously tell me that you base your opinions of a player on one season.
    In 2012, Jay Bruce had an .841 OPS. Frazier's was .829. just sayin'

So, Sandoval can turn the clock back three years on his 262 POUND FRAME and be a .900+ OPS bat and suddenly be a plus defender again, but Frazier cannot post a .800+ OPS that he is one year removed from, where he likely may have been pressing a little due to the fact that he's replacing a future HOF 3B in Rolen, while still being a plus defender?

shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Unfortunately, his historical performance is only relevant insofar as it helps us project his future. He has had exactly one notably above average year, 2011. His most recent year, he was slightly below average. As we've discussed, he is a large man. He is quite unlikely to get better.

If the case for Sandoval is predicated on him being Todd Frazier's equal as a defender in 2014, it's hardly a case at all.
    I think everyone needs to pump the brakes on this Frazier as GG 3B. He had a good year, but that was his first. He was never projected to be a good defensive player. I'm not going to label him a great defender for the future based on one season.

It's also worth pointing out this happened:
    http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...-in-six-weeks/
    It would seem to be corroborated by Panda's improved defense and offensive numbers in September.

10. Likes:

Old school 1983 (10-25-2013)

Wha? Sandoval was -2 this year, but +2 last year.
    Not according to espn

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/stats/...pablo-sandoval

In 2012, Jay Bruce had an .841 OPS. Frazier's was .829. just sayin'

So, Sandoval can turn the clock back three years on his 262 POUND FRAME and be a .900+ OPS bat and suddenly be a plus defender again, but Frazier cannot post a .800+ OPS that he is one year removed from, where he likely may have been pressing a little due to the fact that he's replacing a future HOF 3B in Rolen, while still being a plus defender?

shenanigans.
    Sandoval is 27 years old. He just turned 27. He's actually younger than Frazier. Lets not act like he is completely washed up and past his prime. He's far more likely to be approaching it right now.

Methinks Fangraphs would know better than ESPN.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post

Pavloval is what he is on defense. I don't think he's a good glove, but I also don't think he's losing bundles of games due to his defense either. I think acquiring him is more predecated on what he projects to offensively. In a hitters park like GABP and maybe in a little better shape he could do very well. imo

Same argument over and over. his weight can be managed...

except the Giants in 6 seasons could not get him to manage it.

He has proven he is an elite hitter...

...in 2011, the last time he actually was one.

Frazier has never proven he can hit...

...except last year when he had an .829 OPS while playing all over the field.

Again why weaken yourself defensively, only to take on 8M in additional salary to not get any better than 22 singles on offense?

That is exactly how much better Sandoval was. 22 singles.

Sandoval is 27 years old. He just turned 27. He's actually younger than Frazier. Lets not act like he is completely washed up and past his prime. He's far more likely to be approaching it right now.
    He's also approaching maximum density.

Same argument over and over. his weight can be managed...

except the Giants in 6 seasons could not get him to manage it.

He has proven he is an elite hitter...

...in 2011, the last time he actually was one.

Frazier has never proven he can hit...

...except last year when he had an .829 OPS while playing all over the field.

Again why weaken yourself defensively, only to take on 8M in additional salary to not get any better than 22 singles on offense?

That is exactly how much better Sandoval was. 22 singles.
    Talk about same arguments. I think it's pretty hilarious that you don't want to bring up Sandoval's past yet you go to Frazier's numbers from last year. If you are going to give validity to Frazier's OPS last year of .829 then you have to validate Sandoval's OPS of .900 2 seasons ago.

Turn Off Ads?