Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Choo

Re: Choo

Back to Choo,

I actually don't want the Reds to re-sign him. I'm sure they can find a way to afford him for this year and maybe next, but he's going to get five years minimum, and I don't want the Reds paying $15-20 a year for three years to a 33-35 year old who already is poor defensively.

People want to dump Phillips contract, but at least he can earn a big chunk of that with his defense, even if he bat slows. Choo will be an expensive slowing bat, and not much else.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Back to Choo,

I actually don't want the Reds to re-sign him. I'm sure they can find a way to afford him for this year and maybe next, but he's going to get five years minimum, and I don't want the Reds paying $15-20 a year for three years to a 33-35 year old who already is poor defensively.

People want to dump Phillips contract, but at least he can earn a big chunk of that with his defense, even if he bat slows. Choo will be an expensive slowing bat, and not much else.
    I agree with this - not to mention, every time lately that a player receives a LTC, there is tons of discussion two years later about how to get rid of the albatross contract.

4. Likes:

malcontent (11-01-2013)

Back to Choo,

I think Phillips's defense is more likely to disappear than Choo's OBP skills.

I could see Choo aging similarly to a (PED-less?) Brian Giles. Maybe he only hits .250 with a .380 SLG, but at least that OBP will be above league-average. In a platoon, that still plays pretty well in the corner OF for a guy in his mid-30s...

edit: (PED-less?)Bobby Abreu was a similar hitter in his mid-30s

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Choo will be an expensive slowing bat, and not much else.
    Even then, can probably OBP .350-.375.

I know he's got the HBP down to a fine art, but what worries me is the next time a FB hits him on the hands.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Valid concern. Even in a split his OBP is fairly low.

My concern with Navarro is his entire career except for less than 350 PAs in 2012 and 2013. I fear he may turn back into a pumpkin at any time. Pierzynski seems a safer bet for 2014, but Navarro for 250 PAs against some RHP that are poor fits for Mesoraco should be better than Hanigan.
    That's fair

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

I'd love to see Navarro return to Cincy.

If Votto did help him with his approach, maybe that would help convince him to return.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Hannahan has had 8 seasons with over 100PAs and only 2 of those did he OPS over .700. Jack is not a good hitter, he is purely a gloveman. Last year - that was a down year - but not by all that much when you look at his career. Not his worst season. In 2008 in Oakland he was a regular and OPSd .647. In 2011/2012 he was playing about half the time (average just over 300 PAs per year) and his OPS? .719/.654. Hannahan fits Walt's defensive substitution mold well but he is not any answer as an offensive weapon at all. I count his 2 year deal as one of Walt's little mistakes - his penchant for multi year deals to backups and middle relievers is more irritating than helpful and is rarely necessary. There are plenty of Hannahan/Broxton types available in any given year - pick em up on one year deals and let 'em go.
    I'd like to point out that the OPS in 2011 was split .673 against RHP and .811 against LHP. No, that's not a mistake.

The only time Hannahan has ever OPS'd above .700 against RHP was in 2012. That was .712. Frazier's career OPS against RHP is .739

If you are set on putting Frazier in a platoon... Hannahan ain't the guy

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    I'd like to point out that the OPS in 2011 was split .673 against RHP and .811 against LHP. No, that's not a mistake.

The only time Hannahan has ever OPS'd above .700 against RHP was in 2012. That was .712. Frazier's career OPS against RHP is .739

If you are set on putting Frazier in a platoon... Hannahan ain't the guy
    Do you expect Frazier to OPS .739 against RHP in 2014? Because if you do then there is no reason for a platoon...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Do you expect Frazier to OPS .739 against RHP in 2014? Because if you do then there is no reason for a platoon...
    I happen to think he will OPS somewhere between his .696 last season and .739

If there is a part time bat out there that can hit tough RHP better than that, then by all means platoon him. If you find someone who hits better overall, then replace him and use him as the super sub.

Quote Originally Posted by wally post View Post
    I agree with this - not to mention, every time lately that a player receives a LTC, there is tons of discussion two years later about how to get rid of the albatross contract.
    I wonder if Brian Sabean is on to something with Tim Lincecum's 2-year deal.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have signed off on that one. But I don't see the sign-them-through-their-entire-productive-years thing working out for anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I wonder if Brian Sabean is on to something with Tim Lincecum's 2-year deal.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have signed off on that one. But I don't see the sign-them-through-their-entire-productive-years thing working out for anyone.

I think the only thing Sabean is onto right now, is setting the market really high for everyone else.

You mention Lincecum's two year deal, when they might have got him for the one year qualifying offer. With his last couple of seasons, I doubt anyone else comes close.

Not to mention the contract he handed Pence a week or so earlier of 5/90, there by driving up the price of Choo, and others. He also locked up Posey to a long term deal a year earlier.

LTC seem to be a case by case basis, the Rays for instance have had great success so far with their LTC to Longoria, and Moore.

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    You mention Lincecum's two year deal, when they might have got him for the one year qualifying offer. With his last couple of seasons, I doubt anyone else comes close.
    You and I can question the wisdom of that deal. I do. But I'm sure he didn't hand that out just to burn money or drive up player prices.

These real long-term (5+) contracts might be the other side of Veeck's maxim: "five year plans are for losers". Did the Blue Jays really think Vernon Wells would by worth $21M at age 35? Were they sure they'd even need him seven years hence?

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    You and I can question the wisdom of that deal. I do. But I'm sure he didn't hand that out just to burn money or drive up player prices.

I'm guessing marketing had to play into Lincecum's contract on some level. Just not wanting to see him in another uniform, or even a slight risk of losing him. IDK.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I reckon I have more faith in Jack Hannahan than others here. We already have the LHH 3B partner for Frazier under contract for 2014, Dusty just didn't use him much because he wasn't producing in 2013. With more regular playing time, I still think he can OPS .700 against those tough RHP with strong defense, giving Frazier a rest and improving the bench options that day...
    You're correct. You have more faith than I do. I was in favor of signing Hannahan when it happened. I've seen enough to know I was wrong.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I keep seeing the "experts" suggest the Astros might be the front runners for Choo's services. Seriously?

I get that money talks, but isn't winning part of that equation?

I think I might lose a little respect for Shin-Soo if he heads to Houston.

Turn Off Ads?