Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A solution to the play at the plate

A solution to the play at the plate

We had another instance tonight in the Giants game where a runner was called safe due to the catcher blocking the plate before receiving the throw. In this instance he had enough time to catch it, and then remove himself from blocking the plate fully before applying the tag. After review, the runner was still called safe.

This reminds me a bit of the Cozart play earlier in the season (though Cozie was further from home in this instance). If there's one positive, it's that it's being called consistently all season long and thus the onus is on the catcher to make sure he's never blocking the plate fully when receiving a throw unless the throw is off line.

However, it seems that this could be easily amended by MLB adding a hash mark to the third base line at a reasonable distance from home at which point the catcher can receive a throw while blocking the plate until a runner has reached said line.
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: A solution to the play at the plate

Or just go back to the way things used to be.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

4. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-14-2014),mth123 (08-14-2014),Number_Fourteen (08-14-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Or just go back to the way things used to be.
    Probably not going to happen at this point, so if we're going to have the rule, at least make it properly defined. Welcome to liberal America.
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    Welcome to liberal America.
    :eyeroll:

7. Likes:

Hypnotoad (08-14-2014),LoganBuck (08-14-2014),Red Raindog (08-14-2014),RedsManRick (08-14-2014),Rojo (08-14-2014),Trajinous (08-14-2014),westofyou (08-14-2014)

Probably not going to happen at this point, so if we're going to have the rule, at least make it properly defined. Welcome to liberal America.
    Obamacare did it.
    HUBBA A man who knows everything,just can't remember it all at one time.

For a Level Playing Field

Seems reasonable to me if they keep the rule (which they will). How far up the line do you put the mark? 12 or 15 feet perhaps. I'd guess Steve Smith wants 25 to 30 feet...

I can't wait for the post season when a runner is called safe like on the one yesterday in that Giants game. It's going happen. You just know it.

I do think one reason this rule has been put inplace is to protect MLB from concussion lawsuits in the future. They see what the NFL is going through and this is one way to protect themselves. I think its hurting the game overall though but I doubt we will see much change in it.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I have an idea for a solution aswell: Teach the catcher to stay away from the 3b - HP lane until he has catched the ball...

I can understand that some people donīt like the rule, but I donīt get why professional baseball players canīt understand it or act the way the rule wants it (it isnīt that hard to do is it?)

if this happens in the World Series, Iīll blame the catcher for it and not the umpires/replay guys in new york
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

12. Likes:

RedsManRick (08-14-2014)

Maybe we could put one of those wireless pet fence collars on the catcher. If they block the runners path, they get an electric shock.

Or paint a big red block in the base path and designate it a "no block" zone. Optionally put warning light/buzzer in it that starts blinking/buzzing if the plate is blocked.

Or maybe let everyone get used to the rule and coaches start training catchers not to block the plate. But what's the fun in that?
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

14. Likes:

Hoosier Red (08-14-2014)

I'm going to call malarkey on the highlight post. My brother-in-law who died suddenly last winter was a rock ribbed conservative. I'm not sure he and I could agree on the color of the sky. He was an athletic trainer, actually worked for the Texas Rangers for a bit, but was working in a hospital practice that served various schools throughout mid-Missouri.

His passion in his field was educating people about concussions and their danger. He beat that drum constantly. In fact, I miss sending him articles I'd come across that discussed so he could share them. And, frankly, he'd tell you that your final statement is baloney (that's the cleaned up word that your comment actually deserves). The days of machismo and just take it and health consequences of such a violent hit are past. Get over it. And I'm saying that for my rock-ribbed conservative brother-in-law since he's not around to say it for himself.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

16. Likes:

Hubba (08-14-2014)

It seems if the catcher keeps his feet inside the foul line until he catches the ball he gets the out call. Out was upheld in exactly that scenario the other night in the Mets game. Straddle the foul line before catching the ball and the runner gets the call. Seems to me its more of a re-training the proper setup for catchers. They've been taught to straddle the line, then drop to knee after catching the ball to block the plate. Now they have to setup inside the line, then lunge bodily over to block once they have the ball. If its at all close the runner is supposed to slide. Wait til a catcher does it properly to the new rules and a runner doesn't slide and a safe call is reversed. Another brouhaha waiting to happen.

Conservative/liberal - this is not the politics forum. Leave that stuff out of it. Please.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Quote Originally Posted by tomnuetten View Post
    I have an idea for a solution aswell: Teach the catcher to stay away from the 3b - HP lane until he has catched the ball...
    In the long run I agree with you, but that isn't going to work for the current crop of major league catchers. They've been trained to do things a certain way over many years and thousands of reps. Muscle memory and instinct are going to take over in the heat of the moment.

Well a dramatic fix would be to make the play at the plate always be a force play. This would remove any incentive to block the plate and instead would lead to the catcher stretching for the ball vs blocking the runner. It would allow the runner to have an open lane and he would not have to slide. Those advantages for the runner would be offset by not having to do a tag. I would be curious to see them try it in some spring training games to see the actual effect.

Yawn

Quote Originally Posted by tomnuetten View Post

I can understand that some people donīt like the rule, but I donīt get why professional baseball players canīt understand it or act the way the rule wants it (it isnīt that hard to do is it?)

if this happens in the World Series, Iīll blame the catcher for it and not the umpires/replay guys in new york
    This! Don't set up in the baseline. I know it will take relearning, but there's nothing hard about it. Somehow the other infielders have learned to stay out of the baseline while fielding throws.

Right now we just have a bunch of catchers who are trying to get as close as possible to blocking the plate as they can. I think we'll see over the next few years that catchers learn to set up a bit differently, further back on top of the plate instead of in front of it and with less of their body along the line.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?