Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 295

Thread: Choo

  1. #151
    Member mdccclxix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crown
    Posts
    4,139

    Re: Choo

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Sounds like Phillips is good as gone.
    Yeah, this is a 'getting the word out' interview, right?

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #152
    Member mattfeet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,881

    Re: Choo

    ^Anyway to get cliffs notes on the interview? Id love to hear it.

  4. #153
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,637

    Re: Choo

    Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    ^Anyway to get cliffs notes on the interview? Id love to hear it.
    It was only two minutes long if you have two minutes to spare. But if you don't:

    * Basically they're not shopping Brandon and that was a media created thing, but did note that they'll shop Brandon or anyone else if it's the right thing to do to improve the club

    * He advocates for Chapman to go to the rotation and he and Bryan Price will sit down after they finalize the staff and talk about that

    * Bronson being a free agent could impact whether they use Chapman in the rotation; slipped and said a spot is now open (implying they would not re-sign him), but quickly corrected himself to say something like 'if he leaves'

    * Said they are a small market but Bob wants to win and will stretch it to the limit if they have to do so

    * They want to re-sign Choo but they are discussing all sorts of options based on whether he stays or goes
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  5. #154
    Member mattfeet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,881

    Re: Choo

    Thanks. I clicked the link and couldn't bring up the interview. Not sure if I did something wrong.

  6. #155
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    The Bush Leagues
    Posts
    9,578

    Re: Choo

    Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    I really like your concept here! Most postseason plans seem hell bent on bringing choo back. Using his money to bring in quality platoon partners to strengthen the bench and the lineup as a whole is a very good idea IMO.


    By position OPS:

    C - 616
    SS - 646
    LF - 695
    2nd - 695
    3rd - 702
    RF- 812
    CF - 862
    1B - 904

    The DH's are at 597 and the PH's at 691

    Fixing C and SS will cost a lot and those are traditional defense-first positions. I hope to get some improvement from catcher with some Mesoraco maturation and a healthy Hannigan. I don't see Cozart improving much.

    Left-field is glaring. And the Choo situation makes the OF dicey indeed. I'd crowd-source the OF like the '99 Reds (Vaugh, Cameron, Tucker, Hammonds, Dmitri Young)
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

  7. #156
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    15,227

    Re: Choo

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    It was only two minutes long if you have two minutes to spare. But if you don't:

    * Basically they're not shopping Brandon and that was a media created thing, but did note that they'll shop Brandon or anyone else if it's the right thing to do to improve the club

    * He advocates for Chapman to go to the rotation and he and Bryan Price will sit down after they finalize the staff and talk about that

    * Bronson being a free agent could impact whether they use Chapman in the rotation; slipped and said a spot is now open (implying they would not re-sign him), but quickly corrected himself to say something like 'if he leaves'

    * Said they are a small market but Bob wants to win and will stretch it to the limit if they have to do so

    * They want to re-sign Choo but they are discussing all sorts of options based on whether he stays or goes
    On Chapman, I got a different flavor. He said that it was a "great question"; that they are putting together a staff which will discuss this; there have been plusses keeping Chappy in the pen; also plusses in starting and Walt felt he should start all along; have to wait and see about rotation slots (Reds "do have" then corrected to "may have" potential spot (Arroyo) open); and if Chapman is in rotation Reds will have an opening to finish games.

    My speculation on this is that the Reds have no idea if Chapman will start or relieve. That it will depend on what the rotation looks like after deals.

    If both Arroyo and another starter, say Bailey, leave then Aroldis will start. But if the Reds feel they have a "full" rotation, he will stay in the pen and perhaps just pitch some more innings.

    Not saying it's wise to decide this way. But I think the Chapman decision is unclear now and they will make the decision depending on how the rotation looks after trades.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-29-2013 at 04:15 PM.

  8. #157
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,637

    Re: Choo

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    On Chapman, I got a different flavor. He said that it was a "great question"; that they are putting together a staff which will discuss this; there have been plusses keeping Chappy in the pen; also plusses in starting and Walt felt he should start all along; have to wait and see about rotation slots (Reds "do have" then corrected to "may have" potential spot (Arroyo) open); and if Chapman is in rotation Reds will have an opening to finish games.

    My speculation on this is that the Reds have no idea if Chapman will start or relieve. That it will depend on what the rotation looks like after deals.

    If both Arroyo and another starter, say Bailey, leave then Aroldis will start. But if the Reds feel they have a "full" rotation, he will stay in the pen and perhaps just pitch some more innings.

    Not saying it's wise to decide this way. But I think the Chapman decision is unclear now and they will make the decision depending on how the rotation looks after trades.
    But he did outright say he prefers Chapman be in the rotation. That doesn't mean he'll end up there, as he pointed out they felt they needed him in the bullpen, but Jocketty said clearly he preferred Chapman as a starter.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  9. #158
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    3,429

    Re: Choo

    He also said that they were "going to pursue both" Choo and Arroyo.

    No idea what that means with respect to Arroyo.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

  10. #159
    Member kpresidente's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,694

    Re: Choo

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    But he did outright say he prefers Chapman be in the rotation. That doesn't mean he'll end up there, as he pointed out they felt they needed him in the bullpen, but Jocketty said clearly he preferred Chapman as a starter.
    Here's the quote, word for word...

    "There's a lot of plusses with him in the bullpen as a closer and a shutdown guy who has done a great job for us. I, personally, have been a guy who felt he should have been a starter all along, but the need at the time was for him to be a closer and it made sense, so we went along with it. We'll just have to wait and see what makes sense. You know Bronson's a free agent, so we do, uh, we may have a hole in the rotation but [closer] will also be a very tough position to fill at the end of the game."

  11. Likes:

    REDREAD (10-30-2013)

  12. #160
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,637

    Re: Choo

    Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    Here's the quote, word for word...

    "There's a lot of plusses with him in the bullpen as a closer and a shutdown guy who has done a great job for us. I, personally, have been a guy who felt he should have been a starter all along, but the need at the time was for him to be a closer and it made sense, so we went along with it. We'll just have to wait and see what makes sense. You know Bronson's a free agent, so we do, uh, we may have a hole in the rotation but [closer] will also be a very tough position to fill at the end of the game."
    Thanks for taking the time to transcribe that as I admittedly was too lazy to do it myself. I still maintain that slip of "so we do, uh, we may have a hole in the rotation" might be telling.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  13. #161
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Guelph, ON
    Posts
    16,462

    Re: Choo

    With Chapman, it sounds like it's basically, "Yes, we'd like him to be in the rotation. However, we're not going to make any final decisions until we have a full coaching staff and everybody has a chance to provide input."
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  14. Likes:

    757690 (10-29-2013),Old school 1983 (10-30-2013)

  15. #162
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    492

    Re: Choo

    Here's my issue with platooning Frazier...

    If we are going off of 2013 numbers, he wasn't particularly good at hitting lefties either. Better than righties, but...

    .236/.311/.471 isn't great. The slugging percentage is pretty good but as a whole it is nothing to write home about.

    If we are going off of 2012 numbers, does he need to be platooned at all?

    vs. LHP .298/.333/.524
    vs. RHP .262/.330/.487

    Just a few thoughts

  16. #163
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    12,994

    Re: Choo

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    With Chapman, it sounds like it's basically, "Yes, we'd like him to be in the rotation. However, we're not going to make any final decisions until we have a full coaching staff and everybody has a chance to provide input."
    I also think they don't want to give other teams any indication of who they want in the rotation. Making it clear that Chapman will be in the rotation will lower the trade value of any starter they may be interested in trading.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  17. #164
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,463

    Re: Choo

    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    Here's my issue with platooning Frazier...

    If we are going off of 2013 numbers, he wasn't particularly good at hitting lefties either. Better than righties, but...

    .236/.311/.471 isn't great. The slugging percentage is pretty good but as a whole it is nothing to write home about.

    If we are going off of 2012 numbers, does he need to be platooned at all?

    vs. LHP .298/.333/.524
    vs. RHP .262/.330/.487

    Just a few thoughts
    2012 was his coming out year. I don't put stock in the first 200 to 300 innings a pitcher pitches or the first 400 PAs a hitter has. Too much unfamiliarity around the league. 2013 is what the numbers look like after the league adjusts to him. The question is whether he can adjust himself. He could, but looking at his splits as a minor leaguer, I'd say it's doubtful. This is a team that should be fighting for a play-off spot, you just can't take the chance that his minor league and 2013 numbers are the real him and be left with poor production in a line-up filled with similarly poor producers. Bringing in a veteran to share the job with him protects against that. If Frazier hits like he did in 2012, then you play him every day and be happy that you have really good depth for a change, if not, you have a guy who can excel at the very times when Frazier struggles most and the position stays productive.

    I also wouldn't make it a straight platoon. Frazier would still get 400 PAs which would mean at least 150 to 200 would be against RHP, but if he's struggling, I see no reason to leave the team in a position where he has to have 700 PAs because there are no alternatives. The team isn't going to get good production at 2B or SS. Two thirds of the OF and the catching spot is iffy as well. They need to do something to add productivity. The line-up was three deep in 2013 (and it wasn't really adequate IMO). One of those three is practically out the door. They can't just go with every marginal guy that they have in the line-up. All are good enough to hold down a spot as a hole plugger, but a line-up filled with those guys isn't up to snuff. Take the upgrades where they can. They may not be able to find a guy to tandem with Frazier and if not, they should look to upgrade elsewhere and get by with Frazier while hoping for a repeat of 2012, but if the opportunity to add a guy at 3B presents itself, it shouldn't be dismissed because Todd Frazier had a nice debut season.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  18. #165
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    492

    Re: Choo

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    2012 was his coming out year. I don't put stock in the first 200 to 300 innings a pitcher pitches or the first 400 PAs a hitter has. Too much unfamiliarity around the league. 2013 is what the numbers look like after the league adjusts to him. The question is whether he can adjust himself. He could, but looking at his splits as a minor leaguer, I'd say it's doubtful. This is a team that should be fighting for a play-off spot, you just can't take the chance that his minor league and 2013 numbers are the real him and be left with poor production in a line-up filled with similarly poor producers. Bringing in a veteran to share the job with him protects against that. If Frazier hits like he did in 2012, then you play him every day and be happy that you have really good depth for a change, if not, you have a guy who can excel at the very times when Frazier struggles most and the position stays productive.

    I also wouldn't make it a straight platoon. Frazier would still get 400 PAs which would mean at least 150 to 200 would be against RHP, but if he's struggling, I see no reason to leave the team in a position where he has to have 700 PAs because there are no alternatives. The team isn't going to get good production at 2B or SS. Two thirds of the OF and the catching spot is iffy as well. They need to do something to add productivity. The line-up was three deep in 2013 (and it wasn't really adequate IMO). One of those three is practically out the door. They can't just go with every marginal guy that they have in the line-up. All are good enough to hold down a spot as a hole plugger, but a line-up filled with those guys isn't up to snuff. Take the upgrades where they can. They may not be able to find a guy to tandem with Frazier and if not, they should look to upgrade elsewhere and get by with Frazier while hoping for a repeat of 2012, but if the opportunity to add a guy at 3B presents itself, it shouldn't be dismissed because Todd Frazier had a nice debut season.
    I'm not saying leave Frazier alone. Not at all. I'm saying if you are basing a platoon on a repeat of last season, then should you really be looking for an outright replacement?


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | RedsfaninMT | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25