Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Choo

Re: Choo

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Do you expect Frazier to OPS .739 against RHP in 2014? Because if you do then there is no reason for a platoon...
    I happen to think he will OPS somewhere between his .696 last season and .739

If there is a part time bat out there that can hit tough RHP better than that, then by all means platoon him. If you find someone who hits better overall, then replace him and use him as the super sub.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by wally post View Post
    I agree with this - not to mention, every time lately that a player receives a LTC, there is tons of discussion two years later about how to get rid of the albatross contract.
    I wonder if Brian Sabean is on to something with Tim Lincecum's 2-year deal.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have signed off on that one. But I don't see the sign-them-through-their-entire-productive-years thing working out for anyone.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I wonder if Brian Sabean is on to something with Tim Lincecum's 2-year deal.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have signed off on that one. But I don't see the sign-them-through-their-entire-productive-years thing working out for anyone.

I think the only thing Sabean is onto right now, is setting the market really high for everyone else.

You mention Lincecum's two year deal, when they might have got him for the one year qualifying offer. With his last couple of seasons, I doubt anyone else comes close.

Not to mention the contract he handed Pence a week or so earlier of 5/90, there by driving up the price of Choo, and others. He also locked up Posey to a long term deal a year earlier.

LTC seem to be a case by case basis, the Rays for instance have had great success so far with their LTC to Longoria, and Moore.

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    You mention Lincecum's two year deal, when they might have got him for the one year qualifying offer. With his last couple of seasons, I doubt anyone else comes close.
    You and I can question the wisdom of that deal. I do. But I'm sure he didn't hand that out just to burn money or drive up player prices.

These real long-term (5+) contracts might be the other side of Veeck's maxim: "five year plans are for losers". Did the Blue Jays really think Vernon Wells would by worth $21M at age 35? Were they sure they'd even need him seven years hence?
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    You and I can question the wisdom of that deal. I do. But I'm sure he didn't hand that out just to burn money or drive up player prices.

I'm guessing marketing had to play into Lincecum's contract on some level. Just not wanting to see him in another uniform, or even a slight risk of losing him. IDK.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I reckon I have more faith in Jack Hannahan than others here. We already have the LHH 3B partner for Frazier under contract for 2014, Dusty just didn't use him much because he wasn't producing in 2013. With more regular playing time, I still think he can OPS .700 against those tough RHP with strong defense, giving Frazier a rest and improving the bench options that day...
    You're correct. You have more faith than I do. I was in favor of signing Hannahan when it happened. I've seen enough to know I was wrong.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

I keep seeing the "experts" suggest the Astros might be the front runners for Choo's services. Seriously?

I get that money talks, but isn't winning part of that equation?

I think I might lose a little respect for Shin-Soo if he heads to Houston.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    I keep seeing the "experts" suggest the Astros might be the front runners for Choo's services. Seriously?

I get that money talks, but isn't winning part of that equation?

I think I might lose a little respect for Shin-Soo if he heads to Houston.
    You mean this one?
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/...nt-predictions

Shin-Soo Choo

Heyman: Astros. They need to spend money. They love OBP. Tough place to go right now, but the money will get it done.

Knobler: Astros. His patient approach is what the Astros love. Could be a repeat of the Jayson Werth scenario where free agent gets big bucks for a team that looks like it's a couple years from contending.

Miller: Astros. As colleague Jon Heyman reported, the Astros are very interested in Choo. And despite their rebuilding plan, they need to do something this winter to their television rating don't sink to SUB-zero in 2014.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by junkhead View Post
    Would be stunned if Beltran stays in NL with his legs. Needs to be in AL as DH, and Cards have Oscar T ready to come up.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    Would be stunned if Beltran stays in NL with his legs. Needs to be in AL as DH, and Cards have Oscar T ready to come up.
    I have mixed feelings on Beltran. I would love to see him stay, but Matt Adams and Allen Craig need to be everyday players. Hopefully Oscar T can play Centerfield.

Quote Originally Posted by junkhead View Post
    You know what I find shocking? I don't see the Dodgers' logo on that chart anywhere at all...

13. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-03-2013)

"So Fla Red"

McCann to Texas looks like a winning slot machine spin.

Choo to Astros or any AL would be ok given Cincinnati just can't go 100M+ on another deal. My fear is that he ends up as a Cub.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...ictions-1.html
    2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions
    By Tim Dierkes [November 3, 2013 at 8:46pm CST]

3. Shin-Soo Choo - Tigers. Choo posted a robust .423 on-base percentage this year, leading all free agents and ranking fourth in baseball. He's another Boras leadoff man with a shot at $100MM, so you can be sure we'll hear the agent talking about how leadoff hitters are the new 40 home run hitters. Despite playing center field this year, Choo fits best in an outfield corner. There are questions about his defense and ability to hit left-handed pitching, and as with Cano, Ellsbury, McCann, Santana, and others, a team will have to forfeit its highest available draft pick to sign him. The 31-year-old South Korea native should require a contract in excess of Hunter Pence's five-year, $90MM deal, making a return to the Reds unlikely. The Tigers' interest in signing Choo to play an outfield corner is unknown, but surely Boras' relationship with owner Mike Ilitch will lead to a conversation. The Mets, Yankees, Rangers, Mariners, Cubs, and Astros are other potential matches.
    #1 Choo
    #2 Hunter
    #3 Cabrera
    #4 Fielder
    #5 Martinez

Highest OBP among position players(2008~2013)

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Do the Tigers have that kind of money to throw around?
    They should be tapped out by now.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Do the Tigers have that kind of money to throw around?
    They should be tapped out by now.
    A related question.

What are the ramifications of the "Detroit is dying/bankrupt" stuff in regards to Detroits market size (future payroll)?

Turn Off Ads?