Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Choo

Re: Choo

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/cin/...&vkey=news_cin

"We hope to be able to put something together that might interest him," Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said on Monday. "We think he enjoyed his time with us and would entertain, if we had a competitive offer, to come back with us. We'll see when the negotiating time comes. I don't expect it to be anything that happens any time soon."

"I think he was happy here. He indicated that to me," Jocketty said. "I think he enjoyed playing in Cincinnati and being part of a winning club. Hopefully those are important factors."

2. Likes:

REDREAD (11-05-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I think it's over with Choo. The point has arrived where other teams will throw a ton of money at him. I'm not surprised we are now at this point...I believe it was out of the Reds control all along (I think his plan was to hit free agency). No hard feelings towards anyone whatsoever, but I think he's gone.

Yeah, I just don't see where he comes back. Choo is an OBP beast. Before coming to the Reds everyone doubted whether or not he could play CF and assumed it'd be a disaster. Not only did he have an amazing year at the plate, but he proved he could play all 3 OF positions in a pinch. He's going to get a big contract that the Reds just won't be able to match.

I think part of the reason of letting Arroyo walk without giving him a qualifying offer is to save payroll to offer to Choo. If it doesn't work, we'll be without both. And having a 200 IP 3.75 ERA guy who's a lock to start every game on the schedule is one hell of a weapon, especially in a rotation full of young guys, some of whom have had injury concerns this season. I think we might regret aiming for Choo (who's looking more and more like he's heading somewhere else) instead of locking up Bronson.

6. Likes:

REDREAD (11-05-2013)

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I think it's over with Choo. The point has arrived where other teams will throw a ton of money at him. I'm not surprised we are now at this point...I believe it was out of the Reds control all along (I think his plan was to hit free agency). No hard feelings towards anyone whatsoever, but I think he's gone.
    I'd say it is not a bad thing. If the Reds win the bidding battle, they will probably lose the war and will be trying to unload his contract, like they are with BP now.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I'd say it is not a bad thing. If the Reds win the bidding battle, they will probably lose the war and will be trying to unload his contract, like they are with BP now.
    But the question remains how do you replace his production in an offense that lacked consistent production last year? If we're in "win now" mode I think they have to make a strong run at Choo.

Quote Originally Posted by jhu1321 View Post
    But the question remains how do you replace his production in an offense that lacked consistent production last year? If we're in "win now" mode I think they have to make a strong run at Choo.
    The Reds got 6.5 WAR out of LF and CF combined in 2013. The sky is not falling. It should not prove to be too difficult to find a pair of ~3 WAR OFs...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I agree with everything here except the part about Trump promising to drain the swamp of rich elites. When did he say that? I think he's putting in rich guys with the idea that they can't be bought. I don't think he ever promised not to put in rich white guys.

10. Likes:

Gapper (11-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    No because if you sign a qualifying offered player, the signing pick goes to the team who tendered the offer so if that was the same team, nothing would occur.
    On WLW when they announced the move, they said the Reds WOLUD lose the 1st if they resigned. I hadn't heard that before, and those guys aren't always right, but that is what was said.
    Sto Pro Veritate

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Girevik View Post
    On WLW when they announced the move, they said the Reds WOLUD lose the 1st if they resigned. I hadn't heard that before, and those guys aren't always right, but that is what was said.
    That opposes everything I understood about the process. Can another poster tell me if I am wrong/crazy?

WLW is wrong.
    If the Reds resign Choo, no impact on the draft.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for bringing winning baseball back to Cincy -- it was nice while it lasted..

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

(W)e're
    (L)ackadaisical
    (W)ith facts

15. Likes:

Chip R (11-06-2013),cumberlandreds (11-05-2013),Edd Roush (11-06-2013),HeatherC1212 (11-05-2013),joshua (11-05-2013),Mitri (11-05-2013),TRF (11-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    That opposes everything I understood about the process. Can another poster tell me if I am wrong/crazy?
    You are correct about the process. The whole intent is to help "competitive balance" by compensating teams who are losing free agents, because they simply can't afford them, with draft picks.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    whatever?

ok. So Pablo is consistent. At what? gaining weight? having a sub .800 OPS?

It has already been stated NUMEROUS times over the past two seasons, they have produced very similar numbers. the real difference is salary. that's it. Basically all the reds get by going after Sandoval is a larger payroll, diminished talent base and uncertainty past 2014.

That's the kind of move teams like the Mets make.

Ok so you want an upgrade at 3B. Is there one really available? Because Sandoval is not an upgrade. He's worse defensively, that's a fact, and in a park that suppresses HR's but is pretty nice for doubles and triples, he had fewer doubles and triples than the guy playing in a park that suppresses them. Basically you are enamored of his power potential, and I see his weight as something that has sapped that power.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...6433--mlb.html

Hmm...Pablo has lost 42 lbs already....
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post

Good for him, but hasn't he done this before, only to regain the weight?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post

Did you read the part where Pablo stated he has not mentioned how much weight he has lost? 42 is a non confirmed number.

He's lost weight. great. He'll struggle with it his entire career. He's a poor defender and a marginal offensive upgrade at best. He's also expensive.

And there is no way the Reds would ever target him in a trade. Thank god.
    "There was like a softness to it, a glow to it. I felt... I felt warm."

-- Joseph Daniel Votto 7/10/2017

http://www.reddit.com/r/TexasRangers...ly_long_slump/

There is speculation that Choo will be DL'd tomorrow or the next day as Jim Adduci and Nick Martinez are activated. Choo's slash is at a season low: .236/.354/.367

On May 22 he was a .310/.436/.503 hitter in 181 plate appearances.
    From May 23 through last night: .178/.285/.259 (214 PA)

He's been in the DH spot more and more as time has gone on but it hasn't helped. It's probably time for him to take a rest and see if it heals up

Turn Off Ads?