Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Choo

Re: Choo

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    No because if you sign a qualifying offered player, the signing pick goes to the team who tendered the offer so if that was the same team, nothing would occur.
    On WLW when they announced the move, they said the Reds WOLUD lose the 1st if they resigned. I hadn't heard that before, and those guys aren't always right, but that is what was said.
    Sto Pro Veritate

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Girevik View Post
    On WLW when they announced the move, they said the Reds WOLUD lose the 1st if they resigned. I hadn't heard that before, and those guys aren't always right, but that is what was said.
    That opposes everything I understood about the process. Can another poster tell me if I am wrong/crazy?

WLW is wrong.
    If the Reds resign Choo, no impact on the draft.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

(W)e're
    (L)ackadaisical
    (W)ith facts

6. Likes:

Chip R (11-05-2013), cumberlandreds (11-05-2013), Edd Roush (11-06-2013), HeatherC1212 (11-05-2013), joshua (11-05-2013), Mitri (11-05-2013), TRF (11-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    That opposes everything I understood about the process. Can another poster tell me if I am wrong/crazy?
    You are correct about the process. The whole intent is to help "competitive balance" by compensating teams who are losing free agents, because they simply can't afford them, with draft picks.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    whatever?

ok. So Pablo is consistent. At what? gaining weight? having a sub .800 OPS?

It has already been stated NUMEROUS times over the past two seasons, they have produced very similar numbers. the real difference is salary. that's it. Basically all the reds get by going after Sandoval is a larger payroll, diminished talent base and uncertainty past 2014.

That's the kind of move teams like the Mets make.

Ok so you want an upgrade at 3B. Is there one really available? Because Sandoval is not an upgrade. He's worse defensively, that's a fact, and in a park that suppresses HR's but is pretty nice for doubles and triples, he had fewer doubles and triples than the guy playing in a park that suppresses them. Basically you are enamored of his power potential, and I see his weight as something that has sapped that power.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...6433--mlb.html

Hmm...Pablo has lost 42 lbs already....
    2013 Attendance: 6-0
    4/3/13, 4/16/13, 4/17/13, 8/3/13, 8/21/13, 9/7/13

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post

Good for him, but hasn't he done this before, only to regain the weight?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post

Did you read the part where Pablo stated he has not mentioned how much weight he has lost? 42 is a non confirmed number.

He's lost weight. great. He'll struggle with it his entire career. He's a poor defender and a marginal offensive upgrade at best. He's also expensive.

And there is no way the Reds would ever target him in a trade. Thank god.
    Suck it up cupcake.

http://www.reddit.com/r/TexasRangers...ly_long_slump/

There is speculation that Choo will be DL'd tomorrow or the next day as Jim Adduci and Nick Martinez are activated. Choo's slash is at a season low: .236/.354/.367

On May 22 he was a .310/.436/.503 hitter in 181 plate appearances.
    From May 23 through last night: .178/.285/.259 (214 PA)

He's been in the DH spot more and more as time has gone on but it hasn't helped. It's probably time for him to take a rest and see if it heals up

I got no sympy for Texas, but I don't like to see Choo play so poorly as he's a good guy and even indicated the contract has weighed on him mentally. Hope he turns it around.

Now junkhead on the other hand, I'll make jokes about him till the end of time.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

13. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-21-2014), bigredmechanism (07-21-2014), Crumbley (07-21-2014), kbrake (07-21-2014), NebraskaRed (07-21-2014), RedTeamGo! (07-21-2014), RiverRat13 (07-21-2014)

I still think Hamilton needs another year in AAA and that we should have stuck with Choo for another year.
    "And why do false truths persist, getting passed down the decades as if they were fact? It comes back to the same point: People believe things that are wrong because, individually, people rarely investigate their own beliefs, particularly when what they believe makes sense intuitively. Even more so when those around them agree with them." -K.F.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    I still think Hamilton needs another year in AAA and that we should have stuck with Choo for another year.
    What are you seeing that makes you say that?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Did you just take a trip to Denver? How was the weather?

Quote Originally Posted by dwyerbrg View Post
    What are you seeing that makes you say that?
    More like what is he consuming haha

In seriousness, not sure how anyone can conclude he needs to be in AAA. He's an above average offensive player, statistically, and is on pace for nearly 6 WAR. He absolutely has proven he belongs on this level.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Hamilton has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt he belongs in the big leagues. It's looking more and more like the Reds made the right decison about Choo. He has had an injury riddled season to this point. He may still have a couple more good seasons in him but we are far better off with Hamilton than paying that huge salary to Choo and him likely ot be on the DL more and more the older he becomes.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?