Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Price On Lineup Construction

Re: Price On Lineup Construction

Price called Jay Bruce a "prototype 4 hitter"

2. Likes:

bengalsown (02-19-2014), Mitri (02-19-2014), OesterPoster (02-19-2014), pahster (02-19-2014), PepperJack (02-19-2014), Razor Shines (02-20-2014), RichRed (02-19-2014), thatcoolguy_22 (02-20-2014), Tom Servo (02-19-2014), vaticanplum (02-19-2014), wheels (02-19-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...ryday-lineups/

“I don’t feel that — against especially against a right-handed starter — that we have to concern ourselves about the back-to-back left-handed hitters simply because we hope to get into the bullpen to the point, or jump out to a lead enough that we don’t have to worry about the lefty-left stuff,” Price said.

“I think Jay is that prototype No. 4 hitter. He’s continuing to get better. So putting him in a position to drive in runs and getting him another several at-bats over the course of the season and in run-scoring opportunities hitting behind a guy who gets on base a lot in Joey. It’s not the worst thing. There are worse lineups out there than having Joey and Jay hitting three-four. That being said, against a left-handed starter, in probability, Luddy would hit fourth.”

5. Likes:

RiverRat13 (02-19-2014), tomnuetten (02-19-2014)

looking good... bruce as clean up

phillips in the 2nd hole with hamilton at first is not bad... he wont hit into double plays the way he used to, hamilton wont be on base as much (sadly) and if he is on base its hard to get a double play going...

if ludwick produces and 2 of cozart, mes and frazier improve a little we have a decent lineup and great pitching + defence

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Good Lord almighty! I don't think I've ever seen a Jeremiah Johnson reference on the internet ever. I thought it had fallen into complete obscurity.
    In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either. - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Then he bought into Price's policy to keep hair and beards in check...

9. Likes:

cumberlandreds (02-20-2014), NebraskaRed (02-19-2014), Norm Chortleton (02-19-2014), Old school 1983 (02-19-2014), PepperJack (02-19-2014), redsmetz (02-19-2014)

If Hamilton has any kind of OBP success, Phillips and Votto are going to see a lot of fastballs and holes on the right side.

11. Likes:

Old school 1983 (02-19-2014)

I just don't like Hamilton hitting ahead of Votto. His speed plays better 6th or 7th.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

13. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-19-2014), wheels (02-19-2014)

Why Raisor?

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Why Raisor?
    Phillips, Votto, and Bruce don't need as much help getting guys in as the guys lower in the lineup.

In other words, Hamilton getting himself into scoring position will help the Cozarts and the Rocco's more than Votto and Bruce.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

16. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-19-2014), mth123 (02-20-2014), wheels (02-19-2014)

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Why Raisor?
    There are two reasons that are basically opposite sides of the same coin:
    - You don't need Billy Hamilton's speed to score from 1st on an extra base hit or score from 2nd on a single. Being able to get extra bases on your own is most helpful when the guys behind you aren't as likely to advance you with their bats.
    - Making an out on the bases costs you more in front of good hitters, because there was a better than average chance of them driving you in.

Ultimately, it's about the relative value of OBP vs. speed. The absolute more important thing is getting your best OBP guys a lot of PA and putting them in front of guys who will advance them around the bases. So you're not going to drop a good OBP guy down in the order just to make his speed more efficient.

But if you've got a poor/mediocre OBP guy who can run, you don't want him risking those valuable times on base (made more valuable when in front of your best hitters) just for some extra bases (that those good hitters are capable of giving him without the risk of outs.

Consider you've got a guy with a .300 OBP batting 8th. If he's a Cozart-type hitter, almost all of his value is in his ability to drive in runs. With the pitcher behind him, when he does get on base, he's pretty unlikely to score. That's not only bad itself, but it encourages pitchers to pitch around him.

But if you put a Hamilton type there, getting to first base means a good chance of getting to 2B, possibly 3B -- meaning the pitcher has a greater chance of having his out be a productive one. Even if he just gets to 2B, the pitcher can sac him to 3B, a nice option play if leaves a sac possibility for the leadoff guy, or you can let the pitcher swing away, which leaves the possibility of him getting a hit instead of a guaranteed out just to advance the runner and avoid the double play.

And on the RBI front, pitchers aren't going to put Hamilton on base on purpose. That means he's going to get more chances than your typical #8 hitter to drive in runs (most runs score from 2B or 3B -- you don't need extra base hits to drive in baserunners)

All that said, it's not like the Reds have a great OBP guy who is losing his spot to Hamilton. And Hamilton's speed is crazy enough that he could sustain extremely high success rates stealing bat, limiting the risk. The way I see it, if he's leading off, I don't want him stealing all the time -- especially if he's on base with no out. But I'll certainly enjoy watching him regardless.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

18. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-19-2014), PepperJack (02-19-2014), thatcoolguy_22 (02-20-2014), wheels (02-19-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    There are two reasons that are basically opposite sides of the same coin:
    - You don't need Billy Hamilton's speed to score from 1st on an extra base hit or score from 2nd on a single. Being able to get extra bases on your own is most helpful when the guys behind you aren't as likely to advance you with their bats.
    - Making an out on the bases costs you more in front of good hitters, because there was a better than average chance of them driving you in.

Ultimately, it's about the relative value of OBP vs. speed. The absolute more important thing is getting your best OBP guys a lot of PA and putting them in front of guys who will advance them around the bases. So you're not going to drop a good OBP guy down in the order just to make his speed more efficient.

But if you've got a poor/mediocre OBP guy who can run, you don't want him risking those valuable times on base (made more valuable when in front of your best hitters) just for some extra bases (that those good hitters are capable of giving him without the risk of outs.

Consider you've got a guy with a .300 OBP batting 8th. If he's a Cozart-type hitter, almost all of his value is in his ability to drive in runs. With the pitcher behind him, when he does get on base, he's pretty unlikely to score. That's not only bad itself, but it encourages pitchers to pitch around him.

But if you put a Hamilton type there, getting to first base means a good chance of getting to 2B, possibly 3B -- meaning the pitcher has a greater chance of having his out be a productive one. Even if he just gets to 2B, the pitcher can sac him to 3B, a nice option play if leaves a sac possibility for the leadoff guy, or you can let the pitcher swing away, which leaves the possibility of him getting a hit instead of a guaranteed out just to advance the runner and avoid the double play.

And on the RBI front, pitchers aren't going to put Hamilton on base on purpose. That means he's going to get more chances than your typical #8 hitter to drive in runs (most runs score from 2B or 3B -- you don't need extra base hits to drive in baserunners)

All that said, it's not like the Reds have a great OBP guy who is losing his spot to Hamilton. And Hamilton's speed is crazy enough that he could sustain extremely high success rates stealing bat, limiting the risk. The way I see it, if he's leading off, I don't want him stealing all the time -- especially if he's on base with no out. But I'll certainly enjoy watching him regardless.

I wrote this myself but accidentally deleted it. Glad rick was able to save a copy.

20. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-20-2014), kbrake (02-19-2014), Razor Shines (02-20-2014), redsmetz (02-19-2014), Tom Servo (02-19-2014), WildcatFan (02-19-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Good Lord almighty! I don't think I've ever seen a Jeremiah Johnson reference on the internet ever. I thought it had fallen into complete obscurity.
    OT but going back a page I wonder if C Trent would play Jeremiah in the remake?

Okay carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I wrote this myself but accidentally deleted it. Glad rick was able to save a copy.
    Glad to see that spy-ware finally paying off.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    OT but going back a page I wonder if C Trent would play Jeremiah in the remake? Okay carry on.
    C Trent would have some tough competition.

24. Likes:

dougdirt (02-19-2014), PepperJack (02-19-2014), Tom Servo (02-19-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Glad to see that spy-ware finally paying off.
    My 87th Nobel Prize was for plagiarism.

26. Likes:

pahster (02-19-2014)

Turn Off Ads?