Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Price On Lineup Construction

Re: Price On Lineup Construction

Wait...the guy on the top left is actually C. Trent?

How doe someone completely let themselves go like that? What was that weird tic like expression about?
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Good Lord almighty! I don't think I've ever seen a Jeremiah Johnson reference on the internet ever. I thought it had fallen into complete obscurity.
    Some things can't be forgotten

4. Likes:

redsmetz (02-19-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    Wait...the guy on the top left is actually C. Trent?

How doe someone completely let themselves go like that? What was that weird tic like expression about?
    CTrent's reaction in that gif is because Price told him he was allergic to chocolate.

That's not me trying to make a joke, it really was.

6. Likes:

Mike Honcho (02-20-2014),Tom Servo (02-19-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Phillips, Votto, and Bruce don't need as much help getting guys in as the guys lower in the lineup.

In other words, Hamilton getting himself into scoring position will help the Cozarts and the Rocco's more than Votto and Bruce.
    Also, when Hamilton is batting 6th and 7th, it makes the pinch-hitters more valuable in the later innings when Hamilton gets himself into scoring position. It only takes a single from a pinch-hitter to get him in.

8. Likes:

Raisor (02-19-2014),wheels (02-20-2014)

But if he's at top of the order will it mean more fastballs for Phillips and Votto and Bruce and loss of concentration for the pitcher when facing our most dangerous hitters.

I guess if we had a high OBP guy your arguments make perfect sense to put phantom high OBP guy leading off ahead of Phillips and Votto and put Hamilton's speed lower in the order ahead of Mes and Coz. But we don't have that guy so I'd guess Price will hit BH at leadoff when he plays.

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    But if he's at top of the order will it mean more fastballs for Phillips and Votto and Bruce and loss of concentration for the pitcher when facing our most dangerous hitters.

I highly doubt they'll pitch any differently to any of those guys. I do think that it's likely Rocco and Cozart would get a couple extra good pitches though.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Phillips, Votto, and Bruce don't need as much help getting guys in as the guys lower in the lineup.

In other words, Hamilton getting himself into scoring position will help the Cozarts and the Rocco's more than Votto and Bruce.
    Sure, but my counters are:

1) Somebody's got to hit leadoff on this team.

2) Hamilton will get more PAs at leadoff. If he's kinda good, then more of him is better than less.

3) Zack Cozart's largely beyond help.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

12. Likes:

Puffy (02-20-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    Price says Votto will his third. Probably Hamilton, Phillips, Votto, Bruce, Ludwick, Frazier, Meso, Cozart v. RHs #reds
    Amazing how much happier they could make everyone feel by inserting someone better than Ludwick into that list.
    Last edited by M2; 02-20-2014 at 12:45 AM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

14. Likes:

Edd Roush (02-20-2014)

CTrent's reaction in that gif is because Price told him he was allergic to chocolate.

That's not me trying to make a joke, it really was.
    Speechless.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    3) Zack Cozart's largely beyond help.
    hopefully whatever the "restructure" that Welsh and Brantley talked about in his approach at the end of July holds:

Apr: 208/234/308
    May: 278/305/392
    Jun: 248/287/396
    Jul: 230/258/333
    Aug: 282/326/400
    Sep: 281/300/406

700+ OPS with his defense I can live with. however, if by the end of April he's back at sub 650 OPS, the screw him and move on. . .unfortunately that would have required Jockety to have signed someone to legitimately move on to.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Some things can't be forgotten

At least he has his horse under him.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

It's hilarious to watch people go out of their way to bash Dusty.

I hope you all realize the lineups Price said he's going to use are nearly idential to what Dusty's would have been.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

19. Likes:

Crumbley (02-20-2014),jimbo (02-20-2014),M2 (02-20-2014),westofyou (02-20-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post

I hope you all realize the lineups Price said he's going to use are nearly idential to what Dusty's would have been.

Here's what appears to be the biggest difference:

If Price does use Bruce in the 4th spot vs RHP he'll get about 75% of his plate Apperances there.

Over the last three seasons Bruce has about 25% of his PA's at cleanup.

It's a complete change.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post

You know, I scanned through the thread since it was bumped yesterday with Prices's quotes, and didn't see Dusty's name mentioned once.

Stating that Price believes Bruce can be the cleanup hitter, and doesn't worry about one at bat late in the game over ruling several at bats early, doesn't really classify as Dusty bashing.

For the record, I had no problem with Dusty, but I do feel it was time to move on. I am excited to see what happens with Price, and I personally hope he does stick with Bruce in the 4th spot on a regular basis.

22. Likes:

Caveman Techie (02-20-2014),Raisor (02-20-2014)

You know, I scanned through the thread since it was bumped yesterday with Prices's quotes, and didn't see Dusty's name mentioned once.

Stating that Price believes Bruce can be the cleanup hitter, and doesn't worry about one at bat late in the game over ruling several at bats early, doesn't really classify as Dusty bashing.

For the record, I had no problem with Dusty, but I do feel it was time to move on. I am excited to see what happens with Price, and I personally hope he does stick with Bruce in the 4th spot on a regular basis.
    this all sounds good but for the threads sake this is more fun

heisey
    mesoraco
    bruce
    votto
    Phillips
    frazier
    ludwick
    cozart

Turn Off Ads?