Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds Leadership Council

Reds Leadership Council

When Price was doing the radio rounds the other night he did an interview with Lance McAlister, and in that interview he was asked how he would go about implementing his theme of accountability, and team unity.

Part of his answer is that he believed in establishing a group of players in a council that would work with the coaches to make sure everyone was on the same page, and that the teams goals were being held to by everyone.

I've been wondering since that interview, who would be on that council?

I figure it would be best if each position group had a rep to make sure all communication was reached through the team, at least one SP, RP, OF, IF, maybe even a bench player.

I'm sure the Reds would like Votto on it, and maybe Bruce as well. For the BP maybe Marshall? LeCure? SP is tougher for me with Arroyo leaving, I really don't know who would be that guy. Latos? Cueto? Bailey if he signs long term?

* I left off Phillips until we know if he's on the team next season. I also figure maybe a FA could fill a void on the council.

Here is a link for the interview:http://www.espn1530.com/pages/lances...ticle=11762171

2. Likes:

Nasty Boys (10-24-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Leadership Council

I don't think the "position group" concept is as important as it may be for football where they have separate practices and meetings and there are twice as many players per team.

I figured it would be 2-3 guys - maybe at least 1 pitcher & 1 position player (somewhat contradicting my first comment), but I think it just depends on the personality of the players and the goals Price has the for the council. Does he want established leaders on it to help reach the accountability goals? Or does he want to let younger guys fill a leadership position to perhap aid in their confidence and development somehow?

5. Likes:

joshua (10-25-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    I don't think the "position group" concept is as important as it may be for football where they have separate practices and meetings and there are twice as many players per team.

I figured it would be 2-3 guys - maybe at least 1 pitcher & 1 position player (somewhat contradicting my first comment), but I think it just depends on the personality of the players and the goals Price has the for the council. Does he want established leaders on it to help reach the accountability goals? Or does he want to let younger guys fill a leadership position to perhap aid in their confidence and development somehow?

I get what you are saying about the grouping being different, but what I was trying to mean was how during a game setting the OF converge during a pitching change. So a leader there would be nice. Also as for 2 pitchers, the starters spend the games on the bench, while the BP guys are excluded into their own enviroment, so I thought you may want one for each.

This is the exact idea Clint Hurdle adopted this year for the pirates.

Here is another interview that Price did:http://www.wcpo.com/web/wcpo/sports/...-as-his-montra

This one was done with John Popovich from Channel 9 in Cincinnati, and is 14 minutes long.

Price talks again about a group of players working with coaches to help set an example. He mentions a group of "iconic" players to lead the way. He names Votto, *Phillips, and Bruce as those iconic players. Also names Ludwick as a locker room leader.

He goes on in good depth on some things in this interview. Price compares Latos to breaking out into a Clemens type of dominant pitcher. Also talks up Homer and Cueto.

Says he wants Chapman issue settled before spring, so he knows where he stands.

Mentions repeated mistakes several times with base running and other issues, as an example of where things went wrong this year.

Overall a very candid and thoughtful interview if you have the time to watch. Please note the camera work may drive you insane, but the audio is fine.

* He does go on to say that some player moves may be needed to allow the team to grow, and to acquire other players.
    Last edited by PepperJack; 10-25-2013 at 12:58 AM.

Here is an interview Price did with Channel 5:
    http://www.wlwt.com/news/sports/Watc...z/-/index.html

He goes in depth on some different topics such as Chapman.

Also talks about spring training being different, as he wants to have a heavier focus on situational baseball. Mentions offense, defense, base running.

Also talks about Hamilton, and how at this point they may not be ready to name him the starter.

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post

Also talks about spring training being different, as he wants to have a heavier focus on situational baseball. Mentions offense, defense, base running.

Also talks about Hamilton, and how at this point they may not be ready to name him the starter.

Heavier focus on situational baseball. Wow. And I thought they never worried about that any more.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Here is another interview that Price did:http://www.wcpo.com/web/wcpo/sports/...-as-his-montra

Mentions repeated mistakes several times with base running and other issues, as an example of where things went wrong this year.

I like this.At times they were embarrassing.
    May the Lord bless

This one was done with John Popovich from Channel 9 in Cincinnati, and is 14 minutes long.

Price talks again about a group of players working with coaches to help set an example. He mentions a group of "iconic" players to lead the way. He names Votto, *Phillips, and Bruce as those iconic players. Also names Ludwick as a locker room leader.

He goes on in good depth on some things in this interview. Price compares Latos to breaking out into a Clemens type of dominant pitcher. Also talks up Homer and Cueto.

Says he wants Chapman issue settled before spring, so he knows where he stands.

Overall a very candid and thoughtful interview if you have the time to watch. Please note the camera work may drive you insane, but the audio is fine.

* He does go on to say that some player moves may be needed to allow the team to grow, and to acquire other players.
    He mentions here: "How do we make it easier for a player to go up to another player and say 'Hey, I think there's a better way of doing this'".

I think you can see a goal here of developing and determining a winning approach and then setting that as the platform for everyone to communicate through. Pretty interesting stuff.

Coaching staff is front and center right now and they want to have it in tact by Redsfest. They will retain some and bring new ones in.

Is a Leadership Council similar to a College of Coaches?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

15. Likes:

Hoosier Red (10-26-2013)

Another story from Fay on Price, with depth into his early career, a little family background and more.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...nclick_check=1

One of the bittersweet things about getting one of the ultimate jobs in baseball is Price’s father passed away in August of 2012. So Bryan didn’t get to make that call, giving his father the good news.

“That was tough,” he said. “It was something that any son would want to share with his father. My dad wasn’t an athlete. But we shared a similar work ethic and love for what we do. He really enjoyed people like I do. It just would have been one of those things ... I knew he was proud of me but there would have been a lot connectivity to the way both of our careers went. He was in the same line of business for 37 years – from a teller to the president of a bank. I started at the lowest level of the minor leagues and worked my way to a position to manage a ballclub.

“I think he would have been very proud of me.”

“The managing part came quite a bit later,” he said. “I was asked to interview for the Mariners job after Lou Piniella left after the 2002 season. I never thought about managing before that point in time. That put it in the back of my head that somebody thought: Hey, this guy might be a good manager some day.”

“I had a chance to go in and interview and really talk about how my coaching and managing philosophies had evolved and how they’d be all encompassing the entire ballclub and organization,” Price said. “That really got me thinking this is something I’d really like to do and could do it fairly well.”

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Heavier focus on situational baseball. Wow. And I thought they never worried about that any more.
    I guess it will be something like this.

18. Likes:

TSJ55 (10-28-2013)

Turn Off Ads?