Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Joey Votto vs the Reds front office

Joey Votto vs the Reds front office

Following what Walt said to Cunningham about talking to Votto about fitting into a role better, and now his comment in the Janson article..

"I asked Walt Jocketty if Price is up to the task of disabusing Joey of the notion that a base on balls is as beneficial as a run scoring sacrifice fly.

Walt gave me an emphatic “Yes,” but added, “that is something many more of us in the organization will also try to convey.”

I wonder what the front office has against their best player. Are they not aware his Z-swing% was 67% last year and his Z-swing% was 62.3% in 2012? Do they not realize his BB% was 19.8% in 2012 and 18.6% in 2013?

They better not try to change Joey Votto. If they do, I hope he doesn't listen. Every player has a down year every now and then, not every player can still lead the league in Runs Created in that down year. Let the man have a normal offseason of training, instead of rehab, and see what happens.

I really just don't understand saying some of these things to the media about the teams best player. Maybe if you wanted to have a sit down with Votto and ask him about it, that is one thing, but why do it in the media?

2. Likes:

joshua (10-26-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    They call me "chef"

Re: Joey Votto vs the Reds front office

Maybe those comments are to appease and not alienate a simplistic faction of Reds fans who want to hear their team's GM affirm their feelings and Walt, in private, has told Joey to just do what he does?

It isn't just simplistic Reds fans - it also many Redszone posters who seem to think it is easy to just be a different type of hitter because you decide to be.

Quoted: "Votto is the biggest disappointment, for me, this year. His approach at the plate was like he was leading off rather than batting third. Weird."

Yep - just change your very successful approach Joey. Start swinging at everything and try to hit homers. That'll work. Right.

It is the manager's role to utilize each player where his strengths and talents best enhance the team. All the player can do is maximize his abilities. Joey Votto does that as well as any player in the game. Jocketty's comments have really disappointed me.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

6. Likes:

Mario-Rijo (11-05-2013),ukwazoo (02-08-2014)

Yeah..This is one of the most ridiculous things I've read. Joey Votto is the best hitter on this team. If he swung at the pitches some people want him to, he would be batting .250 and fans (and apparently front office) would be calling for his head.

I just don't understand why everybody wants Votto swinging more. Votto was amazing in 2012 while swinging at less pitches in the strike zone than he did in 2013.

The reason his numbers were down last year wasn't because he was more passive, it's because his isolated power went from .230 in 2012 to .186. The iso was the lowest of his career. Votto himself said he only got hot during 1 month last year instead of 2 or 3. No big deal.

I don't understand all the panic because of 1 really good season instead of a great season. Especially when you factor in him spending the entire offseason rehabbing.

I'm still not 100% Votto's knee was completely healthy this year. I don't believe he had the strength he had pre-injury. I think with an offseason to build back the strength in his knee, the power will return in 2014.

10. Likes:

ukwazoo (02-08-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Delancey View Post
    Yeah..This is one of the most ridiculous things I've read. Joey Votto is the best hitter on this team. If he swung at the pitches some people want him to, he would be batting .250 and fans (and apparently front office) would be calling for his head.
    Yes, he'd be Cozart.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    It isn't just simplistic Reds fans - it also many Redszone posters who seem to think it is easy to just be a different type of hitter because you decide to be.

Quoted: "Votto is the biggest disappointment, for me, this year. His approach at the plate was like he was leading off rather than batting third. Weird."

Yep - just change your very successful approach Joey. Start swinging at everything and try to hit homers. That'll work. Right.

It is the manager's role to utilize each player where his strengths and talents best enhance the team. All the player can do is maximize his abilities. Joey Votto does that as well as any player in the game. Jocketty's comments have really disappointed me.
    I disagree. Votto's role is to produce. That is what he is getting paid for, rather well I might add. When we absolutely needed a hit; more often than not, he would walk or strikeout. He is not getting the clutch hits. That is my point.

13. Likes:

ukwazoo (02-08-2014)

Joey Votto RISP .932 OPS; WAR 6.4; late & close .820; tie game .935; within 1 .928

Yeah scotly - I see your point
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

15. Likes:

joshua (10-26-2013),membengal (10-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Scotly View Post
    I disagree. Votto's role is to produce. That is what he is getting paid for, rather well I might add.
    Good thing he produced the most runs in the NL.

17. Likes:

joshua (10-26-2013),Stingray (11-03-2013)

I don't care what the numbers say. He wasn't getting the big hit at the right time. As in a "clutch" hit. Look at 2012. It seemed that every other time up he was hitting a double. This year when they needed the big hit he just couldn't seem to come through. I love Joey and hope this coming season he will hit like he did in 2012 (or better, the way he hit in 2010).

So .353/.478/.643 is what Votto must do every season for people? Those were his number in 2012 before he got hurt. 1.121 OPS is freaking insane. If people are expecting that, they only have themselves to blame for their disappointment.

20. Likes:

joshua (10-26-2013),Stingray (11-03-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    Maybe those comments are to appease and not alienate a simplistic faction of Reds fans who want to hear their team's GM affirm their feelings and Walt, in private, has told Joey to just do what he does?
    Ockhams razor. Walt means it. Yet Votto will continue to be the hitter he has always been.

Why does it become Votto's problem that the Reds don't have a #4 hitter they can count on to drive in a runner from 3rd if Votto walks?

23. Likes:

joshua (10-26-2013),Larkin Fan (10-26-2013),Stingray (11-03-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Reds Fan View Post
    I don't care what the numbers say. He wasn't getting the big hit at the right time. As in a "clutch" hit. Look at 2012. It seemed that every other time up he was hitting a double. This year when they needed the big hit he just couldn't seem to come through. I love Joey and hope this coming season he will hit like he did in 2012 (or better, the way he hit in 2010).
    Exactly!!! He folded up like lawn chair at the end.

Turn Off Ads?