Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Joey Votto vs the Reds front office

Re: Joey Votto vs the Reds front office

Is there a link to the article where these quotes from Jocketty are? I need it for my blog.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    That's a good point but I bet those teams are near the top in a lot of stats, not just walks.
    That's not a coincidence.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Should there be some concern about Votto being 31 and hitting his lowest OPS since 2008?

Quote Originally Posted by Halfway between View Post
    Should there be some concern about Votto being 31 and hitting his lowest OPS since 2008?
    I'm not overly concerned. He keeps himself in great shape and is always working on his game. He may have been limited by his knee still last season. In my eyes, he's earned the "wait and see" approach

6. Likes:

goreds2 (12-02-2013)

Actually Joey just turned 30 in September, but yes, there should be concern. This appears to be an age related decline to me.

But if it occurs, some fans will now be able to say it's the Red's fault because they tried to change him.

Quote Originally Posted by PMand JM View Post
    Ludwick going down opening day really was what changed this season all around. It forced Brandon into the 4 spot, which altered his approach, as well as Votto's. Then Heisey went down, and somehow, this team still won 90 games.
    Totally agree. When opening day hit, I thought to myself that this is the perfect lineup now with Luddy coming back from a great second half of 2012. As Walt J. said opening day, we have a great team but can't afford injuries due to lack of bench strength. When Luddy went down, my heart sank as I knew it would be tough to win it all without him.

(Sorry I went off topic)
    Last edited by goreds2; 12-02-2013 at 06:56 PM. Reason: added comment
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

9. Likes:

villain612 (12-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Totally agree. When opening day hit, I thought to myself that this is the perfect lineup now with Luddy coming back from a great second half of 2012. As Walt J. said opening day, we have a great team but can't afford injuries due to lack of bench strength. When Luddy went down, my heart sank as I knew it would be tough to win it all without him.

(Sorry I went off topic)
    I would say the mistake was giving Ludwick the extension in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by demas863 View Post
    Yes, he'd be Cozart.
    Agree with all of this, and His style would fit a 2 hole hitter better. So bat him 2 and construct the lineup like that. I would dare B Price to try it for 30 games to see what happened, it would fit his non-normal baseball thinking blah blah rah rah stuff from the press conference
    Bring on 2018! #%?*!

In my opinion, the biggest issue concerning Joey Votto in the lineup is not having anyone batting behind him to protect him. Hard to criticize a guy for not swinging at bad pitches. Reds either need to acquire a cleanup hitter for protection (Brandon Phillips scares nobody) or start batting Jay Bruce 4th. Votto will then start seeing better pitches, and start swinging the bat more.

Joey Votto is easily one of the best overall hitters in all of baseball. I don't like the idea of tinkering with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by fipp View Post
    How old are you? Do you want to be humiliated?

13. Likes:

Slyder (12-27-2013)

Considering his OPS was still over 900 I would say no. 4 years from now we might need to worry about Joey. But for now he should be the least of your worries.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Delancey View Post
    Yeah..This is one of the most ridiculous things I've read. Joey Votto is the best hitter on this team. If he swung at the pitches some people want him to, he would be batting .250 and fans (and apparently front office) would be calling for his head.
    Or maybe he would replicate 2010 where he swung at more pitches, was more aggressive, and won MVP. Your guess is as good as mine.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Reds Fan View Post
    I don't care what the numbers say.
    Maybe you should?

It might just change your view.

Joey's knee was still bothering him last year. He's primed for a big one this year. I think we'll see a return to 30ish homeruns, more XBHs and a more appeased fanbase (even though there was absolutely nothing wrong with his production last year and he was still elite).
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

How much would we be paying attention to this is if Ludwick wasn't hurt and overachieved like 2012?

I think part of what makes Votto so good is that he approaches every at bat the same way. There is almost a robotic consistency and in general I think that is a good thing.

However, there were some situations last year where Votto seemed to be just going about his general approach which would maximize his own OPS and not necessarily maximize the Reds' chances of winning the game.

98% of the time, maximizing your own success/stats in baseball coincides with maximizing the team's success. However, I do think there were occasions where Joey didn't play good situational baseball and maximize the Reds' chance of winning the game by his approach.

Is it Joey's fault that the guys hitting behind him were struggling mightily? Absolutely not.

Is it Joey's fault that he didn't adjust his approach in some specific situations to take into account that the guys behind him weren't hitting and thus a walk was much less valuable than a hit? Yes, if his top priority is winning games and not his own OPS.

Just my opinion...

20. Likes:

64red (02-09-2014),Old school 1983 (03-02-2014)

Turn Off Ads?