Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Joey Votto vs the Reds front office

Re: Joey Votto vs the Reds front office

I think part of what makes Votto so good is that he approaches every at bat the same way. There is almost a robotic consistency and in general I think that is a good thing.

However, there were some situations last year where Votto seemed to be just going about his general approach which would maximize his own OPS and not necessarily maximize the Reds' chances of winning the game.

98% of the time, maximizing your own success/stats in baseball coincides with maximizing the team's success. However, I do think there were occasions where Joey didn't play good situational baseball and maximize the Reds' chance of winning the game by his approach.

Is it Joey's fault that the guys hitting behind him were struggling mightily? Absolutely not.

Is it Joey's fault that he didn't adjust his approach in some specific situations to take into account that the guys behind him weren't hitting and thus a walk was much less valuable than a hit? Yes, if his top priority is winning games and not his own OPS.

Just my opinion...

2. Likes:

64red (02-09-2014), Old school 1983 (03-02-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Joey is coming into what I think is a telling season. He was healthy all winter, he's not getting younger but still in the peak years age.

I don't care what you say, Joey has a 10 year contract which hangs around his neck like an albatross if he doesn't produce. He needs to keep his OPS up. Last year's decline is easily explainable by the winter rehab. The Reds are totally dependent on his being Joey Votto.

I have no problem with the walks. It was a big part of Pujols' and Bonds' production. But, the power has to be there too.

5. Likes:

redsfanmia (02-08-2014)

I believe that Joey will have another great season with better power and run producing numbers. A few nights ago on WLW, he mentioned that his knee was feeling much better and that he is firing on all cylinders with his overall health. Plus, Joey being Joey, he will be very conscientious in his preparation and practice.

If our lineup is healthy, we'll win 90 games again this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai Slater View Post
    I believe that Joey will have another great season with better power and run producing numbers. A few nights ago on WLW, he mentioned that his knee was feeling much better and that he is firing on all cylinders with his overall health. Plus, Joey being Joey, he will be very conscientious in his preparation and practice.

If our lineup is healthy, we'll win 90 games again this year.
    What the Reds need is more of the same from their rotation. It was remarkably healthy all year...save Cueto and his 11 starts.

The bullpen was another issue.

There's no Walt only Zuul villain612's Avatar

Joey Votto is one of the best pure hitters on the planet and a future hall of famer IMO.

Sure, I'd like to see his power come back a little, but that has nothing to do with approach.

The Reds need to leave him alone and harness his strengths as is.

I've said it many times on this board, but they need to bat Jay Bruce after him. I think he'd see better pitches to hit then.
    "The key to winning baseball games is pitching, fundamentals, and three run homers."

Turn Off Ads?