Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gus Johnson

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Gus Johnson

I absolutely love this guy. He has a passion for what he does and really is good at what he does. He is calling the Texas Tech-Oklahoma game and every time there is a big play he goes absolutely bizerk. He does a lot of IU games and I remember a few years back Victor Oladipo hit a half court shot as the first half end...i thought they were gonna have to call the paramedics...lol

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Gus Johnson

He'll be doing Big East basketball on Fox Sports 1 this winter. I'm looking forward to that!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I'm one of the few that can't stand him. He's no different than Thom Brennaman in that he makes the game about himself instead of just calling the action on the field/court.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

5. Likes:

cumberlandreds (10-30-2013),Hoosier Red (10-27-2013),jmac (10-30-2013),UKFlounder (10-27-2013),WMR (10-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I'm one of the few that can't stand him. He's no different than Thom Brennaman in that he makes the game about himself instead of just calling the action on the field/court.
    I'm not a fan. I always thought he was a big spazz.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

7. Likes:

WMR (10-27-2013)

He's turrible.

I love Gus. Always have.

I have a theory. As soon as an announcer becomes famous for anything other than accuracy, they become a caricature of themselves and it stops being cool and starts being annoying.

If you watch a Dick Vitale broadcast from the early 80's, you'd be stunned at how knowledgeable he truly is. Same with John Madden. Same with Gus Johnson.

I liked the excitement from Gus, but as soon as he became known for it, it was like he was going crazy for every little thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

11. Likes:

traderumor (10-28-2013),UKFlounder (10-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I have a theory. As soon as an announcer becomes famous for anything other than accuracy, they become a caricature of themselves and it stops being cool and starts being annoying.

If you watch a Dick Vitale broadcast from the early 80's, you'd be stunned at how knowledgeable he truly is. Same with John Madden. Same with Gus Johnson.

I liked the excitement from Gus, but as soon as he became known for it, it was like he was going crazy for every little thing.
    Yeah, I remember when John Madden was a great analyst rather than just a goofy guy talking about riding in his bus, turduckens, and six-legged turkeys.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

A little bit of Gus goes a long way. He is good in small doses, but is getting a lot of work these days, so is really just a more hip Dick Vitale. Now, it just seems like schtick.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I love him for basketball and like him for football. I really hope Fox stops running him out there for soccer.

Again, I think he's great, but I can't remember the last time I heard him do a game. Maybe it's the Fox thing. I watched FS1 for about 10 minutes the first day it aired, and haven't clicked on it since. It seems like they took every negative aspect of ESPN and added the worst possible cast they could find. And aside from auto racing, the programming is terrible. Gus must have gotten a big pay increase to go to Fox.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Again, I think he's great, but I can't remember the last time I heard him do a game. Maybe it's the Fox thing. I watched FS1 for about 10 minutes the first day it aired, and haven't clicked on it since. It seems like they took every negative aspect of ESPN and added the worst possible cast they could find. And aside from auto racing, the programming is terrible. Gus must have gotten a big pay increase to go to Fox.
    I think he has been with FOX a couple years. I know he did some Big Ten games on their network too. He was canned by CBS after jumped all over some intern during the NCAA tournament for not doing something he liked. I don't care for him at all. He's way over the top with his yelling and screaming after a big play. That gets old very quickly.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

This thread reminds of this video clip, which is full of all kinds of win:

http://tosh.comedycentral.com/video-...s-the-dynamite

I wouldn't mind listening to Gus and Vitale during the NCAA tournament but with the exception of Bil Raftery, CBS wants its announcers to be vanilla. I agree that a little bit of Gus (and Vitale) goes a long way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Vitale is about as bad as it gets. He can't stay with the game he's calling for more than five minutes before he's rambling on about one of his obsessions -- UNC/Duke basketball, Notre Dame football, etc. I'm sure I'll get laughed at, but IMO one of the best in the basketball business, as far as preparation, knowledge, delivery and focusing on the game at hand, is Doris Burke. She's great.

20. Likes:

Hoosier Red (10-31-2013)

Turn Off Ads?