Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 20 of 20

Thread: Gus Johnson

  1. #16
    A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,454

    Re: Gus Johnson

    Ohio State vs. Xavier, round 2 of the 2007 NCAA tournament. Gus Johnson had such a fantastic call on the 3 pointer that sent it to overtime that I can never hate the man.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    2,071

    Re: Gus Johnson

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Ohio State vs. Xavier, round 2 of the 2007 NCAA tournament. Gus Johnson had such a fantastic call on the 3 pointer that sent it to overtime that I can never hate the man.
    This after the ref wussed out on Oden's obvious intentional foul.

    Sorry, still bitter.

  4. Likes:

    Caveat Emperor (10-31-2013), Hoosier Red (10-31-2013)

  5. #18
    A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,454

    Re: Gus Johnson

    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    This after the ref wussed out on Oden's obvious intentional foul.

    Sorry, still bitter.
    Next to the Tennessee game a round later, probably my favorite Ohio State basketball win ever. OSU was toast - such an improbable comeback. I still watch this every March.



    But yeah, Oden definitely intentionally fouled.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

  6. #19
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    8,767

    Re: Gus Johnson

    Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Vitale is about as bad as it gets. He can't stay with the game he's calling for more than five minutes before he's rambling on about one of his obsessions -- UNC/Duke basketball, Notre Dame football, etc. I'm sure I'll get laughed at, but IMO one of the best in the basketball business, as far as preparation, knowledge, delivery and focusing on the game at hand, is Doris Burke. She's great.
    Doris Burke is one of the best. I agree with you on that one.

    Vitale has pretty much turned into a caricature of himself. He used to be pretty good but has jumped ship a long time ago. He's still a good ambassador for the college game and ESPN should only use him in the studio at this point.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  7. Likes:

    Hoosier Red (10-31-2013)

  8. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,064

    Re: Gus Johnson

    Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Vitale is about as bad as it gets. He can't stay with the game he's calling for more than five minutes before he's rambling on about one of his obsessions -- UNC/Duke basketball, Notre Dame football, etc. I'm sure I'll get laughed at, but IMO one of the best in the basketball business, as far as preparation, knowledge, delivery and focusing on the game at hand, is Doris Burke. She's great.
    I agree NY Red, most importantly she never makes the analysis about her.

    Vitale's been old and stale for about 20 years, but if you see a classic game from the 80's, it's really remarkable how good he sounds.


    One thing that separates Gus from the others is that he's a play by play announcer. That makes him even more unique in his bombast.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25