Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gus Johnson

A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

Re: Gus Johnson

Ohio State vs. Xavier, round 2 of the 2007 NCAA tournament. Gus Johnson had such a fantastic call on the 3 pointer that sent it to overtime that I can never hate the man.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Ohio State vs. Xavier, round 2 of the 2007 NCAA tournament. Gus Johnson had such a fantastic call on the 3 pointer that sent it to overtime that I can never hate the man.
    This after the ref wussed out on Oden's obvious intentional foul.

Sorry, still bitter.

4. Likes:

Caveat Emperor (10-31-2013), Hoosier Red (10-31-2013)

A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    This after the ref wussed out on Oden's obvious intentional foul.

Sorry, still bitter.
    Next to the Tennessee game a round later, probably my favorite Ohio State basketball win ever. OSU was toast - such an improbable comeback. I still watch this every March.

But yeah, Oden definitely intentionally fouled.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Vitale is about as bad as it gets. He can't stay with the game he's calling for more than five minutes before he's rambling on about one of his obsessions -- UNC/Duke basketball, Notre Dame football, etc. I'm sure I'll get laughed at, but IMO one of the best in the basketball business, as far as preparation, knowledge, delivery and focusing on the game at hand, is Doris Burke. She's great.
    Doris Burke is one of the best. I agree with you on that one.

Vitale has pretty much turned into a caricature of himself. He used to be pretty good but has jumped ship a long time ago. He's still a good ambassador for the college game and ESPN should only use him in the studio at this point.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

7. Likes:

Hoosier Red (10-31-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Vitale is about as bad as it gets. He can't stay with the game he's calling for more than five minutes before he's rambling on about one of his obsessions -- UNC/Duke basketball, Notre Dame football, etc. I'm sure I'll get laughed at, but IMO one of the best in the basketball business, as far as preparation, knowledge, delivery and focusing on the game at hand, is Doris Burke. She's great.
    I agree NY Red, most importantly she never makes the analysis about her.

Vitale's been old and stale for about 20 years, but if you see a classic game from the 80's, it's really remarkable how good he sounds.

One thing that separates Gus from the others is that he's a play by play announcer. That makes him even more unique in his bombast.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Turn Off Ads?