Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ten dumbest fanbases in America

Re: Ten dumbest fanbases in America

I started watching Ohio State in 1984 when I was a kid. I remember that team with Chris Speilman, Cris Carter, Keith Byers. I was hooked. I had no idea what college even was at that time. I didn't go to OSU, but I had a lifetime of fandom by the time I went to college. At that point it was no longer a choice, really. I was a fan, and I've never been able to divorce a team I was a fan of (lord knows I've tried with the Bengals). Even when I went to Michigan, I thought maybe my loyalties would switch given that I had a real connection to the school. But it didn't happen. Sometimes fandom chooses you rather than the other way around.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (10-30-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

That makes sense MWM, I was same way with UC growing up, but the minute I stepped foot in Bloomington, my loyalties had switched. Right around that time UC football turned itself into a power.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

To be fair, I didn't go to Michigan for undergrad. Had that been the case I may have switched. I went undergrad to BYU, and my first year there was the year Steve Sarkisian was there and they finished 6th in the country. But that's also the year Ohio State had the best team in the country...and perhaps the best team they've had in the last 40 years.... but also the year of the Shawn Springs slip and another egg laid for Copper against Michigan (I hated Michigan back then. Ha!). I couldn't let go of my love of Buckeye football and didn't really feel a conflict.

But these days I root against BYU and am not fan of the university as a whole and try to distance myself from the affiliation. That leaves me without that connection with a football program. I thought there was a chance that 2 years in Ann Arbor would naturally lead to changed loyalty, but it didn't happen. I love the university and no longer root against them, but I could never quite all the way to being a fan, at least not for football. I find myself rooting for them a lot stronger in basketball.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

My boss as well as my office neighbor are BYU grads, but they're still big fans of the Y. If you want to go a different direction with this thread, perhaps "nicest" fanbase goes to BYU. I'm not sure I've ever met a Mormon I didn't like (well, unless he was knocking on my door asking me to become LDS). I suppose MWM has a different view on this, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    My boss as well as my office neighbor are BYU grads, but they're still big fans of the Y. If you want to go a different direction with this thread, perhaps "nicest" fanbase goes to BYU. I'm not sure I've ever met a Mormon I didn't like (well, unless he was knocking on my door asking me to become LDS). I suppose MWM has a different view on this, though.
    Yeah, probably not a good idea to go down that route on this thread. I did a whole thread on the topic back before the election last year over on the political/religious forum. Suffice it to say, a lot of really important people in my life are LDS, so I have lots of love for them. But yes, I have a completely different view of the Y having spent 4 years there. And I'm not sure University of Utah fans would agree on them being the "nicest fans".

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I've never quite gotten the concept of being a fan of a college team and not having gone to school there.
    I kinda hear this a lot.

I'm FROM Kentucky originally. Spent 18 years of my life there and moved to West Virginia my senior year of high school. I graduated from a regional WVU college, but the best word I can use for WVU fans is "tolerate" being that I am married to one.

But taking this a step further, does that mean that I shouldn't be a Reds or Bengals fan because I'm not from Cincinnati, much less the Buckeye State?

Don't get me wrong I can't stand bandwagon or fairweather fans (met a lot of those this year with the Pirates), but I'm not going to blacklist fans just because they never went to a certain school.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

NL Central champs

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    But taking this a step further, does that mean that I shouldn't be a Reds or Bengals fan because I'm not from Cincinnati, much less the Buckeye State?
    Man, I hope this rule doesn't apply. I guess as a North Dakotan I just couldn't be a sports fan. I am with you in that I liked my sports teams (pro and college) long before I had plans for college/university.

I understand that obvious bandwagon fans are annoying, but beyond that I don't really care who you root for as long as you are consistent.

Stat geek...and proud

A lot of discussion for an article that's very obviously satire.

I feel dumber after reading this article.

12. Likes:

jimbo (10-30-2013),marcshoe (11-01-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by VottoFan54 View Post
    I understand that obvious bandwagon fans are annoying, but beyond that I don't really care who you root for as long as you are consistent.
    I agree with this. There's a number of reasons why people become fans of teams. In Indianapolis, I've met so many people who are fans of major league teams that matched their little league teams. This seems crazy to me because there are plenty of great MLB teams to choose from.

Okay well one good option, two awful ones, and two less awful ones.

One friend in particular is as much of a Mariners fan as I am a Reds fan.

The problem with any fan base of a good team is that inherently as the team's popularity grows, the number of idiot fans grows proportionately.

Essentially, it's the people who like a band after they become popular that annoy the "true fans." But take that to another level with sports because music fans don't have rivalries with other music fans.
    Rush fans being the notable exception as they apparently form a rivalry with anyone who doesn't understand the group's brilliance.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I've never quite gotten the concept of being a fan of a college team and not having gone to school there.
    I didn't go to Ohio State. I went to a small private university about an hour NW of Columbus and while we had a semi-decent football team at my school, we were a Division III school (no sports scholarships and they didn't even have a football stadium until a couple years after I graduated in 2000) so sports just weren't that important there. I had a group of friends who all watched the Buckeyes play every Saturday instead of going to watch our own team play which is how I got introduced to them. I'm still a big time Buckeye fan to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    A lot of discussion for an article that's very obviously satire.
    I didn't even read the article, LOL
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Yeah, probably not a good idea to go down that route on this thread. I did a whole thread on the topic back before the election last year over on the political/religious forum. Suffice it to say, a lot of really important people in my life are LDS, so I have lots of love for them. But yes, I have a completely different view of the Y having spent 4 years there. And I'm not sure University of Utah fans would agree on them being the "nicest fans".
    Can you provide a link to the thread about BYU, please? I tried to search for it, but am unable to find it.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Can you provide a link to the thread about BYU, please? I tried to search for it, but am unable to find it.

Thank you
    I have not opted in to that forum, so I can't provide the link. It wasn't specifically about BYU as it was about mormonism as whole as one of the candidates for prez was of that faith and most people know little about it, and I had a unique perspective and a lot of knowledge on the subject.

That is why I want to read it - sounds like a really interesting post.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    That is why I want to read it - sounds like a really interesting post.
    The political/religious forum is now something you have to opt in to. It didn't used to be that way. If you're not opted in, that may be why it isn't coming up. But if you can search that forum, it should be pretty easy to find.

Turn Off Ads?