Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten dumbest fanbases in America

Ten dumbest fanbases in America

I'm guessing there will be more agreement than disagreement with this list and even those under the hotset will laugh at the kernels of truth. Discuss.

Alabama's fan base stupidity is not a function of a small minority of bad apples ruining it for the rest of the fans, nope, it's the majority of the fan base that gives Alabama fans a bad name.

Let's be clear about this, Harvey Updyke was not an outlier.

When news broke that authorities had arrested a man for poisoning the trees at Auburn, millions of Alabama fans secretly thought to themselves, "God, I hope it's not Uncle Ray."
    http://outkickthecoverage.com/the-te...imson-tide.php
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ten dumbest fanbases in America

Any list of dumb fanbases that doesn't include the Chicago Cubs is incomplete, IMO. They should be #2 right behind Pittsburgh Steelers fans. UK would definitely be a very close 3rd based on my experience.

I know it's all in good fun, but I don't mind Ohio State being included on the list. I actually went to Michigan, but grew up rooting for the Buckeyes. Their fansbase drives me crazy sometimes, but I've found a big difference in the fanbase in the columbus area and those who live elsewhere in the country.

These lists are largely a product of who you've been exposed to. I've lived in the southeast 3 years now and there's a decent amount of Alabama fans where I live. It's not hard for me to see why they're #1 on this guy's list, but they still don't come close to Steelers fans for me. I think the vast majority of fanbases are pretty much the same. There's only been a few exceptions for me where my experience has been noticeably different with larger numbers of them. Steelers fans are probably the ones where it seems like the vast majority I've come into contact with are incredibly obnoxious to the point it's noticeable. The only other one with that kind of consistency for me has been the "SEC fan" who's more about being a fan of that conference than any particular school. Fanatics towards a school don't generally bother me all that much. The whole conference thing is something I'm just destined to never understand,
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

4. Likes:

BillDoran (10-29-2013),Chip R (10-29-2013),Dom Heffner (10-29-2013)

UK fans are considered among the most knowledgeable fanbases in the country by most unbiased experts. Alabama football fans fall into the same group. It's pretty stupid to suggest otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    UK fans are considered among the most knowledgeable fanbases in the country by most unbiased experts. Alabama football fans fall into the same group. It's pretty stupid to suggest otherwise.
    The average Alabama football fan actually has a pretty poor grasp of football.

This is actually more accurate than parody:

The Alabama fan base is a fractious mix of two distinct groups who can't really stand each other.

At the top of the list is the 10-15% of the fan base that could actually be admitted to Alabama or attended the school.

This group hates most of the rest of the Alabama fan base with a passionate fury.

Right now they are reading this column and silently nodding.

The other 85% of Bama fans are incapable of coherent thought and have a deep-seated insecurity about all things in life. Alabama football comprises, and this is not an exaggeration, 99% of their self esteem.

This group of Alabama fans resents those who actually attended the school and calls them, "elitists." (To be an "elitist" in Alabama you have to graduate high school, avoid having kids until you're 22, and shop at Target instead of Wal-Mart. Seriously, that's an Alabama elitist). Auburn fans, a distinct minority in the state, are really nothing like Alabama fans. That's because by and large Auburn fans are associated in some way with Auburn. 95% of the idiots in Alabama root for the Crimson Tide.
    Last edited by jojo; 10-29-2013 at 04:51 PM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Says the Auburn fan, haha.

I don't get how Alabama fans can be considered the 'dumbest' while they're basically from the same gene pool as Auburn fans and they're not even Top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Says who? Throwing out unsubstantiated opinion and presenting it as fact (and then concluding it with an insult) is kinda silly.

Dumbest eh?

No objective take on this exists in today's world, maybe in the future when pigs fly and we all never die, but no.. not today.

11. Likes:

jimbo (10-29-2013),marcshoe (10-29-2013),Razor Shines (10-31-2013),Revering4Blue (10-29-2013),The Operator (10-29-2013),VottoFan54 (10-29-2013)

NL Central champs

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    The average Alabama football fan actually has a pretty poor grasp of football.

This is actually more accurate than parody:
    Yeah, let's call people stupid. That will add a lot of material and surely result in positive discussion throughout the board!

13. Likes:

jimbo (10-29-2013),RedsBaron (11-01-2013),westofyou (10-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    I don't get how Alabama fans can be considered the 'dumbest' while they're basically from the same gene pool as Auburn fans and they're not even Top 10.
    Apparently you've never had a genetics course.

15. Likes:

CoachBombay (10-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by VottoFan54 View Post
    Yeah, let's call people stupid. That will add a lot of material and surely result in positive discussion throughout the board!
    You need to live the demographic to understand the parody...your high horse would become much closer to a high pony. But the average Bama fan actually has no true affiliation with the university and they worship a dead coach's statue like the golden calf though they've never seen it in person.
    Last edited by jojo; 10-29-2013 at 06:00 PM.

17. Likes:

CoachBombay (10-30-2013)

NL Central champs

You need to live the demographic to understand the parody...your high horse would become much closer to a high pony.
    I'm sure if I lived there I would realize how stupid and moronic those Bammer fans are. It's a good thing that Auburn never had any bad people associated with it. Have you ever heard of Reese Dismukes? He is not very nice.

I'm sure if I lived there I would realize how stupid and moronic those Bammer fans are. It's a good thing that Auburn never had any bad people associated with it. Have you ever heard of Reese Dismukes? He is not very nice.
    The problem with using Dismukes as an example is that it's simply not true that he and Miller did what you're arguing.

And again, you can actually ignore the argument all you want to make general platitudes and metacommentary feigning something nefarious in pointing out an aspect of Bama fandom but it doesn't change the reality of the Bama fanbase.

NL Central champs

The problem with using Dismukes as an example is that it's simply not true that he and Miller did what you're arguing.

And again, you can actually ignore the argument all you want to make general platitudes and metacommentary feigning something nefarious in pointing out an aspect of Bama fandom but it doesn't change the reality of the Bama fanbase.
    Are we really at the point where the following post qualifies as a legitimate argument? That is just an opinionated rant, there is nothing of substance for me to argue against.

You need to live the demographic to understand the parody...your high horse would become much closer to a high pony. But the average Bama fan actually has no true affiliation with the university and they worship a dead coach's statue like the golden calf though they've never seen it in person.

Are we really at the point where the following post qualifies as a legitimate argument? That is just an opinionated rant, there is nothing of substance for me to argue against.
    I think the issue is that you really don't understand the dynamic that you're apparently up in arms about.

Turn Off Ads?