Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ten dumbest fanbases in America

Re: Ten dumbest fanbases in America

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Is this a cry for help? Are you admitting to us that you listen to Colin Cowherd so that we can reach out and initiate an intervention?
    Dan Patrick is on at the same time. Save yourself.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Kentucky is to Alabama as Louisville is to Auburn.

Confirmed and verified.

It's actually startling how similar UK and Bama are in terms of overall dominance of their respective sport. And each has their own "little brother" that is very well respected in their own right but clearly pales in comparison to their "big bro."

Each of the little bros also has a much more recent cheating scandal than their big brother, despite their protestations to the contrary.

The fact that a poster such as MWM, considering his fanhood, would attempt to talk smack at this point is very funny and very sad. Especially when most UK fans have gone out of their way to be respectful towards OSU and UC fans.

P.S.

Did anyone hear Colin Cowherd list the 4 sports teams that ONLY WIN and garner universal hatred outside their fans? The answer will provide massive LULZ, especially when viewed against the list of the haters on this site.
    Unless I missed it somewhere, I never did see MWM talking any smack on this thread unless you consider him listing UK in the dumbest fanbase column (he also mentioned Ohio State deserved to be up there too). I don't consider that talking smack.

It should be noted Clay Travis is a Vols fan and therefore a major reason why UK and Alabama are at the top of the list.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

4. Likes:

jojo (10-31-2013),Revering4Blue (10-31-2013),VottoFan54 (10-31-2013)

Gosh. I really see no rhyme or reason to that list. I admit my eyes started burning and I skimmed most of the article but I can't imagine I was skimming over some scientific research that proved the author's point. Seems like he put all of the most historically successful franchises on a dart board, threw ten darts and there you go, research complete we can knock off early today.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

6. Likes:

Joseph (11-01-2013),Revering4Blue (11-01-2013),VottoFan54 (11-01-2013)

I'm not sure why anyone would care/be upset at being on this list or even argue with it. We are fans. We do dumb things. We care a little too much about things that very rarely have anything to do with us directly. Every fan base should be on that list just for existing. I for one embrace it.

On Halloween I wore UK basketball shorts, a UK hoodie, the UK Blue socks with the square designy things on the back, and then stuffed monopoly money in pockets so that everyone could see it. Did I mention that I'm a UK fan (and holder of two degrees from UK)? Everyone who got it loved it and it gave me the leeway to bust other chops as well.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

8. Likes:

redhawkfish (11-01-2013),Revering4Blue (11-02-2013)

I root for a variety of teams for a variety of reasons. I root for Wayne High School, Marshall University and Duke University because I graduated from each school, so that isn't unusual. The Reds of course are my favorite baseball team, in large part because, even with Cincinnati being about three hours from my home the Reds are the local MLB team-I've been a Reds fan since 1966.
    I root for other teams sometimes out of habit and circumstance. When I first became a pro football fan before the 1967 season we only got one channel, a NBC affiliate, so I only got AFL games. I became a Raider fan. I also root for the Packers by virtue of having read Jerry Kramer's "Instant Replay" and because of my admiration for Bart Starr. I also root for the Bengals because they are local.
    I kind of vaguely root for the Lakers because they were once the team of Jerry West and Wilt Chamberlain (I also root against the Celtics).
    The Red Sox have been my favorite AL team since the 1967 "Impossible Dream" season and since reading Ted Williams's "My Turn At Bat" a couple of years later.
    In the mid1960s the only college football games we got on TV were New Year's Day games on NBC. I became an Alabama fan since the Crimson Tide was one of the few teams I could watch, and I still root for Alabama.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

10. Likes:

New York Red (11-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    I root for a variety of teams for a variety of reasons. I root for Wayne High School, Marshall University and Duke University because I graduated from each school, so that isn't unusual. The Reds of course are my favorite baseball team, in large part because, even with Cincinnati being about three hours from my home the Reds are the local MLB team-I've been a Reds fan since 1966.
    I root for other teams sometimes out of habit and circumstance. When I first became a pro football fan before the 1967 season we only got one channel, a NBC affiliate, so I only got AFL games. I became a Raider fan. I also root for the Packers by virtue of having read Jerry Kramer's "Instant Replay" and because of my admiration for Bart Starr. I also root for the Bengals because they are local.
    I kind of vaguely root for the Lakers because they were once the team of Jerry West and Wilt Chamberlain (I also root against the Celtics).
    The Red Sox have been my favorite AL team since the 1967 "Impossible Dream" season and since reading Ted Williams's "My Turn At Bat" a couple of years later.
    In the mid1960s the only college football games we got on TV were New Year's Day games on NBC. I became an Alabama fan since the Crimson Tide was one of the few teams I could watch, and I still root for Alabama.
    No fan should have to explain why they're fans of any team, but I love your explanation. We all have our reasons and all are equally acceptable, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    No fan should have to explain why they're fans of any team, but I love your explanation. We all have our reasons and all are equally acceptable, IMO.
    Does that include Brown fans? Of which I is.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    There is always an exception to every rule.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Honestly, GAC, since you changed your avatar pic, you're sort of flying under the radar. It's like you're somebody else, so you might as well jump on the Bengals bandwagon.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Some fine reading here fellas. At least it kept me occupied for a while!

I define a dumb fan, as anyone who is so emotionally attached to their team, that they refer to them as "us", and "we". The only time that is remotely acceptable, is when you are actually in the stadium in a big game atmosphere. You hear this on talk radio a lot. Typically it is the guy calling in giving the ridiculous viewpoint.

The other guy that I lump in there is the Anti-Fan, he is passionate about the team, but he always takes the most dim view of the situation. The team could win in a blowout, and he has to nitpick about something trivial, or complain about how they were supposed to do that. EX. There is a guy who calls in to Columbus area radio constantly complaining about Urban Meyer standing crouched over, instead of like a man. There is a Bengals fan that calls into WLW every week complaining about how this team isn't that good. It is the same guy, every week, every season. This week I heard him call complaining about how that players didn't work hard enough in the offseason to be ready for the Thursday night game, which caused them to get injured. This of course was Marvin Lewis' fault.

Every fan base has nutcases. This article was meant to generate page views, and to satisfy the perennially hapless fan bases. I am sure fans of Purdue, Creighton, Vanderbilt, Cincinnati, and others generally without a chance, read this with satisfaction.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I define a dumb fan, as anyone who is so emotionally attached to their team, that they refer to them as "us", and "we". The only time that is remotely acceptable, is when you are actually in the stadium in a big game atmosphere. You hear this on talk radio a lot. Typically it is the guy calling in giving the ridiculous viewpoint.

The other guy that I lump in there is the Anti-Fan, he is passionate about the team, but he always takes the most dim view of the situation. The team could win in a blowout, and he has to nitpick about something trivial, or complain about how they were supposed to do that. EX. There is a guy who calls in to Columbus area radio constantly complaining about Urban Meyer standing crouched over, instead of like a man. There is a Bengals fan that calls into WLW every week complaining about how this team isn't that good. It is the same guy, every week, every season. This week I heard him call complaining about how that players didn't work hard enough in the offseason to be ready for the Thursday night game, which caused them to get injured. This of course was Marvin Lewis' fault.

Every fan base has nutcases. This article was meant to generate page views, and to satisfy the perennially hapless fan bases. I am sure fans of Purdue, Creighton, Vanderbilt, Cincinnati, and others generally without a chance, read this with satisfaction.
    I must be a moron then because I always say "we" when I talk about OSU and the Reds. I just always thought I was passionate about the teams I love, but now I know I am just dumb for saying that.

I have never had a problem when people say "we". To me that is someone who feels like they are a part of something special, even if the team is struggling. I watch the Buckeyes every single game, I read up about every little tidbit of news I can involving them, and my emotions for the week are heavily influenced by how OSU performs on the field. And Buckeye Nation is the hugest fan base in the country. And for Buckeye fans, WE are all a part of Buckeye Nation.
    There are no hunting accidents...It's called kharma.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Buckeye View Post
    I must be a moron then because I always say "we" when I talk about OSU and the Reds. I just always thought I was passionate about the teams I love, but now I know I am just dumb for saying that.

I have never had a problem when people say "we". To me that is someone who feels like they are a part of something special, even if the team is struggling. I watch the Buckeyes every single game, I read up about every little tidbit of news I can involving them, and my emotions for the week are heavily influenced by how OSU performs on the field. And Buckeye Nation is the hugest fan base in the country. And for Buckeye fans, WE are all a part of Buckeye Nation.
    I don't mind fans using "we." But for the fans, these teams would be intramural or amateur squads. Pro and big time college sports are what they are because of the fans.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Buckeye View Post

Do you have to run the steps in the Horseshoe? Are you putting in hours of training at the WHAC? Did Urban come to your house and eat dinner with you and your family? Did you spend hours in the offseason reinventing your batting stance, or building muscle for baseball season? Since the answer is no, you don't get to use we or us.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

If you go or went to Ohio State, "us" or "we" makes perfect sense when referring to the Buckeyes.

And if you write a big check for tickets or to the booster club, you're certainly entitled to the "we" or "us" as far as I'm concerned.

Frankly, if you just want to say "we" or "us", who is LoganBuck to tell you that you shouldn't? You know what they say about opinions...

Turn Off Ads?