Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Brandon Phillips wins gold glove for 2013

Re: Brandon Phillips wins gold glove for 2013

Love it. So fun to watch play defense.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Likes:

Always Red (10-29-2013), joshua (10-29-2013), Larkin Fan (10-30-2013), RANDY IN INDY (10-29-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Best defensive 2B I have ever had the pleasure of watching. Congrats BP!
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

5. Likes:

Always Red (10-29-2013), jimbo (10-29-2013), Larkin Fan (10-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Best defensive 2B I have ever had the pleasure of watching. Congrats BP!
    I'd still give that to Pokey. He was like an alien playing 2B.

That said, Phillips is ridiculously good.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

7. Likes:

TRF (10-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    I'm surprised they didn't give it to Barney. It's really hard to bend in that purple dinosaur suit.
    He didn't hit as well as he did last year.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Congrats to BP. Phenomenal defensive stylist.
    I think that's a very good description for BP. There are players with better advanced metrics but BP plays defense with an elegance that sets him apart from most of his peers.

10. Likes:

SirFelixCat (10-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post

Pokey may have been better, but Brandon plays with flare that Pokey didn't have. There's no one I've ever enjoyed watching play defense more than Scott Rolen, but BP is pretty close even though the 2 styles are completely different. Watching Junior in his prime play center field was like watching great theatre, too.... so effortless.

When I played I was a defensive guy..... which is another way of saying I was a very average hitter. So my favorite players are pretty much always the great defensive players (Frazier being the exception. He became a favorite the second I heard Sinatra come on when he was coming to the plate. How can you not love a guy who plays Sinatra for his intro?). I don't want BP traded because he adds to the aesthetics of watching the Reds for me. Offense is boring. Give me a great glove and I'll tune in much more often. I'm really hoping Billy Hamilton can become the next great glove in Cincinnati.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

12. Likes:

RANDY IN INDY (10-30-2013), REDREAD (10-30-2013)

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I don't think he was the best defensive 2B, but I'm sure it doesn't hurt his trade value.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post

Pokey's peak came and went so quickly. But that '99 Reds up the middle troika of Pokey, Barry, and Mike Cameron was the best I've ever seen. Ground balls went to die there and Cameron cleaned up anything that got by them. It was like 3 greyhounds after a bone.

BP makes the wow play.

Pay attention to the open sky

15. Likes:

Chip R (10-30-2013), Old school 1983 (10-30-2013), Revering4Blue (10-30-2013)

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

The weird thing about the GG is that last year, I've never seen a 2B have so many spectacular plays on an almost daily basis as Brandon Phillips, and he didn't win the thing.

This year, I thought he made some spectacular plays again, but there were more miscues than you're used to seeing. I had written him off for the award, and he wins it.

Go figure.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

17. Likes:

Always Red (10-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Pokey's peak came and went so quickly. But that '99 Reds up the middle troika of Pokey, Barry, and Mike Cameron was the best I've ever seen. Ground balls went to die there and Cameron cleaned up anything that got by them. It was like 3 greyhounds after a bone.

BP makes the wow play.
    I'll take Brandon as a second baseman over almost anyone. That said, Pokey's range was in the unreal category. Astonishing range.

Reds have had some tremendous defensive infielders.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-30-2013 at 12:08 AM.

19. Likes:

Chip R (10-30-2013), Old school 1983 (10-30-2013)

If the voters are going to get it wrong, I'd rather the award go to a Red. Congrats, BP!!

21. Likes:

SirFelixCat (10-30-2013)

Kudos to BP. Very disappointed in the Trent incident, and he sure disappeared down the stretch, but his defense was consistently outsatnding all year long, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    He didn't hit as well as he did last year.
    It's one of the reasons I laugh at the GG award anymore.

It's about a golden glove (not bat).
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

24. Likes:

TeamBoone (10-31-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I'll take Brandon as a second baseman over almost anyone. That said, Pokey's range was in the unreal category. Astonishing range.

Reds have had some tremendous defensive infielders.
    Subjectively Brandon is the best fielding Reds second baseman I have ever seen, and just to be in the discussion is significant given the Gold Glovers and slick fielders the Reds have had: Tommy Helms, Joe Morgan, and Pokey Reese, among others. The Reds have not had a consistent tradition of great starting pitchers but a great glove at second has been the norm.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Re: Brandon Phillips win gold glove for 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    whatever, he can think he big mouth for the award

He was 4th in DWAR at 0.4. Ellis had 1.6, Barney had 1.5, and Walker had 1.3
    He was 5th in FPCT at .987 those above him had .993, .992, .989, & .989
    He was 5th in Range Factor at 4.72, those above him had 5.14, 4.99, 4.74, 4.72
    DWAR is about as reliable as FSP (Fart smell potency) and a groundout to Frazier at third base actually has a negative impact on Phillips range factor. I'm not trying to start another metrics debate, but these particular defensive metrics, while perhaps useful to some degree, do not tell the whole story.

I didn't watch Barney or Ellis play enough to know how they compare to Phillips, but the managers and coaches see these guys play on a daily basis. Phillips might have some issues keeping his mouth shut at times, but dat dude can flat out pick it.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

www.OnCampusSports.com -- college sports covered by college students

27. Likes:

bengalsown (10-30-2013), REDREAD (10-30-2013), TSJ55 (10-30-2013)

Turn Off Ads?