Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 NBA Season

Re: 2013 NBA Season

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    It doesn't matter who is in the front office in NYC as long as Dolan is owner, that team isn't going anywhere.
    I don't care either way, just don't want Jackson back in LA. The NBA is more watchable when the Lakers are down.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Likes:

Chip R (03-11-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

From Rotoworld w/ Rotoworld comments:

Andrew Bynum (knee) is expected to play roughly 15 minutes in his season debut on Tuesday, according to coach Frank Vogel

This is consistent with expectations since Bynum will be assuming Ian Mahinmi's 15-minute role off the bench while Mahinmi recovers from a rib injury. Vogel wants Bynum to "just to fit in and play his game" as the Pacers look to snap their four-game losing skid, and there's no reason to approach him in standard fantasy leagues.

Source: Indiana Pacers on Twitter
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    It's hard to play 5 on 8.
    Every team gets a home court advantage. I have seen plenty of games in which I felt the Rockets got hosed by calls.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    It doesn't matter who is in the front office in NYC as long as Dolan is owner, that team isn't going anywhere.
    As a Knick fan let me just say.........true dat.

sigh.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Every team gets a home court advantage. I have seen plenty of games in which I felt the Rockets got hosed by calls.
    This year's Houston Rockets are the adopted team of the NBA this season along with the Clippers.

Those without Rocket-colored eyes see the flopping by Harden, the blatant favoritism towards Houston, and the whining that takes place among all Rocket players. They do have McHale as their HC, so it's no wonder. How officials treat Rocket players is the reason why so many people are so disgusted with the NBA, and are happy to see David Stern gone, with hopes that actions like these will go away and make the league balanced and competitive (and fair).
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 03-12-2014 at 04:31 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

This year's Houston Rockets are the adopted team of the NBA this season along with the Clippers.

Those without Rocket-colored eyes see the flopping by Harden, the blatant favoritism towards Houston, and the whining that takes place among all Rocket players. They do have McHale as their HC, so it's no wonder. How officials treat Rocket players is the reason why so many people are so disgusted with the NBA, and are happy to see David Stern gone, with hopes that actions like these will go away and make the league balanced and competitive (and fair).
    The NBA is almost impossible to officiate.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

steve nash is staying, give him the money. opportunity cost "unknown parallel worlds" not governed by "perceived reality"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqH21LEmfbQ

in front of that one guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMY8iYw-Bwk
    Last edited by Orenda; 03-16-2014 at 12:19 PM.

if Dwight howard flowed through his whole body instead of his iso muscle exercises, he'd be a much better shooter,

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    The NBA is almost impossible to officiate.
    The goal should always be to keep a balanced flow to the game while calling things evenly on both ends.

The Blazers have lost 12 straight games to Western Conference playoff teams. As suspected coming in, Stotts can't coach a lick of Defense. The freefall continues. First round sweep...if they even make the playoffs. On Jan. 18th they had the best record in the Western Conference.

They are dead last in creating turnovers. That's all about concentrated effort to play Defense.

The goal should always be to keep a balanced flow to the game while calling things evenly on both ends.
    Agreed, but that isn't easy to do when half of the calls are "judgment calls".

basketball. just sayin

I'm still waiting for the team who does nothing but pass and shoot. like zone offense mixed with keep away plus ray allen

I've been watching the English Premier League over the last few years and have been wondering about their general popularity and why it is such a compelling league, and it started to dawn on me. The EPL and NFL (the two most profitable leagues in the world) have a number of things in common.

1) The play almost all of their games on weekends during the day. This means that it is really easy to follow your team and to watch every game. This also allows you to talk about that one game for an entire week and then discuss the upcoming game. The NBA has so many games on so many random nights, it is almost impossible to do the same thing.

2) A limited number of games. This allows for more randomness in a season. This produces more surprises than in most other leagues. There are very rarely any surprises in the NBA

3) Almost every team has something to play for for the entirety of the season. You could be playing for the league title, a champions league position (to the top 4 finishers), a Europa League position, or to avoid relegation. With 6 or 7 games to go, there are only 5 EPL teams with nothing on the line. And that is out of 20 teams. That is remarkable. The NFL often has large numbers of teams with playoff hopes even late into the season. The NBA season has buckets full of meaningless games, even amongst the playoff bound teams.

So, here is my proposal for the NBA. Put together a 40 game schedule. Each team plays 24 weekend games that span the current season. They each then play 16 weeknight games on Wednesdays, which could also be an event. Each game has infinitely more at stake. Then play best of 5 series and hold them on weekends and Wednesdays. Make the NBA appointment television. It will eliminate the dreaded back-to-backs, cut down on injuries, and build up interest in the games.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I've been watching the English Premier League over the last few years and have been wondering about their general popularity and why it is such a compelling league, and it started to dawn on me. The EPL and NFL (the two most profitable leagues in the world) have a number of things in common.

1) The play almost all of their games on weekends during the day. This means that it is really easy to follow your team and to watch every game. This also allows you to talk about that one game for an entire week and then discuss the upcoming game. The NBA has so many games on so many random nights, it is almost impossible to do the same thing.

2) A limited number of games. This allows for more randomness in a season. This produces more surprises than in most other leagues. There are very rarely any surprises in the NBA

3) Almost every team has something to play for for the entirety of the season. You could be playing for the league title, a champions league position (to the top 4 finishers), a Europa League position, or to avoid relegation. With 6 or 7 games to go, there are only 5 EPL teams with nothing on the line. And that is out of 20 teams. That is remarkable. The NFL often has large numbers of teams with playoff hopes even late into the season. The NBA season has buckets full of meaningless games, even amongst the playoff bound teams.

So, here is my proposal for the NBA. Put together a 40 game schedule. Each team plays 24 weekend games that span the current season. They each then play 16 weeknight games on Wednesdays, which could also be an event. Each game has infinitely more at stake. Then play best of 5 series and hold them on weekends and Wednesdays. Make the NBA appointment television. It will eliminate the dreaded back-to-backs, cut down on injuries, and build up interest in the games.
    One thing I definitely agree with is that there are too many games where bad teams play bad teams...in other words, the NBA is doing a poor job of maximizing television revenue.

Turn Off Ads?