Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 NBA Season

Re: 2013 NBA Season

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I've always liked Bomani Jones and those comments are exactly why.

Sterlings comments are reprehensible but a bigger statement could have been made by refusing to play. By continuing, the circus continues.
    The only way a boycott would work is if every playoff team participated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    The only way a boycott would work is if every playoff team participated.
    The more the merrier, but really Sterling only owns one team.

Doc Rivers is really going to be the key person to watch in all of this. If he leaves at the end of the season, the backlash is going to practically make the Clippers into an expansion team.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I've always liked Bomani Jones and those comments are exactly why.

Sterlings comments are reprehensible but a bigger statement could have been made by refusing to play. By continuing, the circus continues.
    A boycot was brought up, and he was against it. He basically asked what it would accomplish, but mainly his response was "If you weren't pissed about what happened in the past, then how you gonna be pissed about this?" I totally agree with his point. I haven't listened to the whole tape, just what they played on the show, but it sounded like he was saying he didn't want HER to bring blacks to the game and that he didn't want HER to advertise that she was hanging around black people. Jones wasnt angry at that, mainly about the older stuff....very interesting to see where this goes!!!

Sterling is going to be suspended with the intention of forcing him out by making the penalties so huge, but it will be because of his lifetime of transgressions. This was just the tipping point.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Banned for life.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Did not see that coming.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Obviously he's been a despicable dude for a long time and the NBA and everyone around the Clippers knew it, why the out rage now? Why wasn't he punished before?

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Obviously he's been a despicable dude for a long time and the NBA and everyone around the Clippers knew it, why the out rage now? Why wasn't he punished before?
    Proof.

Cuban on board with the commish...shocking.
    Go Gators!

Embarrassment.

It's just like the Marge Schott situation. Racism was (and is) prevalent from ALL races in the NFL, World Soccer organizations, MLB and the NBA. You can include all political organizations, corporations, and educational institutions, including the Supreme Court of the United States and other judicial bodies. It's only when it comes to light and embarrasses to the point of being unable to ignore it does something of this scale take place, and generally only when it's the majority displaying racism against a minority.

This kind of action needs to take place in order to keep racism from rearing it's ugly head, as it's a function of the human makeup that will never, ever go away. The racism mole popped up out of it's hole and it was whacked on the head. You can never get rid of all the moles, but if you whack them on the head when they pop up out of the ground, it makes living alongside of each other a bit more comfortable.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 04-29-2014 at 02:47 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

12. Likes:

BillDoran (04-30-2014),Chip R (04-29-2014),KittyDuran (04-29-2014),redhawkfish (04-29-2014)

2013 NBA Season

Kareem Abdul Jabbar has a nice piece on this. I'm glad they came down hard on Sterling.

http://time.com/79590/donald-sterlin...jabbar-racism/

14. Likes:

Kingspoint (04-29-2014),_Sir_Charles_ (04-29-2014)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Kareem Abdul Jabbar has a nice piece on this. I'm glad they came down hard on Sterling.

By far, the best take I've read on this whole mess.

Jabbar basically writes that when this mole popped up out of the ground before, he was whacked on the head by the Justice Department, but the public did nothing about it, and that is the real story here, he says, asking that the public be more vigilant about shutting down these racist moles the first time they appear.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 04-29-2014 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Embarrassment.

It's just like the Marge Schott situation. Racism was (and is) prevalent from ALL races in the NFL, World Soccer organizations, MLB and the NBA. You can include all political organizations, corporations, and educational institutions, including the Supreme Court of the United States and other judicial bodies. It's only when it comes to light and embarrasses to the point of being unable to ignore it does something of this scale take place, and generally only when it's the majority displaying racism against a minority.

This kind of action needs to take place in order to keep racism from rearing it's ugly head, as it's a function of the human makeup that will never, ever go away. The racism mole popped up out of it's hole and it was whacked on the head. You can never get rid of all the moles, but if you whack them on the head when they pop up out of the ground, it makes living alongside of each other a bit more comfortable.
    Like Mark Cuban said, it's a slippery slope when you discipline people for something they say no matter how offensive.

Clippers fans should like this decision since even without the racism, Sterling was the worst. Made Mike Brown look competent.

The other leagues' owners should be shaking in their boots by this decision. I don't know if there are any other racist owners out there but if there are, they either better keep their mouths shut or sell their team or that league is going to have a PR nightmare.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

18. Likes:

Razor Shines (04-29-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Like Mark Cuban said, it's a slippery slope when you discipline people for something they say no matter how offensive.

Clippers fans should like this decision since even without the racism, Sterling was the worst. Made Mike Brown look competent.

The other leagues' owners should be shaking in their boots by this decision. I don't know if there are any other racist owners out there but if there are, they either better keep their mouths shut or sell their team or that league is going to have a PR nightmare.
    I think you mentioned earlier (or someone did) that Cuban distinguished this as being different. Racism/Anti-nationalism/Religious persecution should not be tolerated when it appears. America's Freedom of Speech does not include, nor should it, disparaging comments concerning one's nationalism, race or religion.

When it comes to regulating people, I'm personally of the Libertarian belief. I've changed political parties many times over the years.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 04-29-2014 at 05:16 PM.

Turn Off Ads?