Turn Off Ads?
Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: 2013 NBA Season

Re: 2013 NBA Season

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Style of play. Pretty simple.

He dominates a locker room. It's pretty obvious. Combine that with his style of play and that makes him a disruptive force, whether that's to a Coach's efforts or other teammates' efforts to play a team game. He's "all for one", not "one for all".
    The Nuggets were the 29th ranked offense (per ORtg) in the league in 2002-2003, which was dead last. They drafted Carmelo that April and went to 11th the next year. His teams have been in the top 11 every season but two (and his teams have been more consistently better on offense than LeBron's). He has only played on two teams that were NOT in the top ten on defense according to that same rating (these last two Knicks seasons). Whatever he is doing is largely working.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    The Nuggets were the 29th ranked offense (per ORtg) in the league in 2002-2003, which was dead last. They drafted Carmelo that April and went to 11th the next year. His teams have been in the top 11 every season but two (and his teams have been more consistently better on offense than LeBron's). He has only played on two teams that were NOT in the top ten on defense according to that same rating (these last two Knicks seasons). Whatever he is doing is largely working.
    None of those stats are any indication that Carmelo Anthony is responsible for them. I hope he goes to the Rockets, as it's sure to be a deathnail to their run for a Championship.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Trades so far....

From Rotoworld w/ Rotoworld comments:

Tayshaun Prince could be headed to the Raptors as part of a deal that involving draft picks.

The proposed deal would send Prince and his $7.7 million expiring contract to Toronto along with the 22nd pick in Thursday's draft. The Grizzlies would receive John Salmons and the 59th pick in return, while this trade would give the Raptors the 20th and 22nd pick in the draft and allow them to potentially move up in the draft. Prince averaged 6.0 points, 3.1 rebounds, and 1.6 assists with the Grizzlies during the 2013-14 season and doesn't hold much fantasy value for the 2014-15 season no matter where he's playing.

Source: CBS Sports

Orlando Magic acquire G Evan Fournier.

The Magic parted with Arron Afflalo to acquire Fournier and a second round pick in Thursday's 2014 NBA Draft and also gained $6 million of cap space in the process. The move seems a little strange on the surface as the Magic had reportedly received better offers for Afflalo, but there could also be another shoe or two to drop here as the team could have another trade or free agent target in mind. Fournier should serve as a solid bench option for the Magic, but he doesn't offer a ton fantasy value outside of deeper leagues.

Source: David Aldridge on Twitter

Denver Nuggets trade for SF Arron Afflalo.

The Nuggets have traded Evan Fournier and a second round pick to the Orlando Magic in return for Afflalo, who will begin his second stint with Denver. Afflalo averaged 18.2 points, 1.8 three-pointers, 3.6 rebounds, and 3.4 assists in his second season with the Magic and will continue to be a valuable source of 3-pointers for his fantasy owners in Denver. Fournier is a solid bench player, but the move seems like a bit of a head scratcher for Orlando as the main benefit of the trade comes in the form of $6 million of salary cap relief.

Source: David Aldridge on Twitter

Adrian Wojnarowski is reporting that the Rockets are set to deal C Omer Asik to the Pelicans for a future first-round draft pick and $1.5 million.

This should be about a done deal and it's a big move for the Pelicans, who had a lot of injury and depth problems at center last season. Look for Asik to start alongside Anthony Davis next season, and look for his fantasy value to take a nice jump now that he no longer has to deal with Dwight Howard. As for the Rockets, they're clearly making monetary space in hopes of acquiring LeBron James or Carmelo Anthony. Additionally, Michael McNamara is reporting that the Pelicans have to trade Austin Rivers or Eric Gordon in order to take on Asik, so there's likely more to come in this deal after the draft.

Source: Adrian Wojnarowski on Twitter

The Knicks acquired Wayne Ellington in a trade on Wednesday.

Outside of a decent February with 12.4 minutes per game and a 51.6 field goal percentage, Ellington was quiet last season and didn't crack 11 minutes per game in any other month. He's unlikely to be a factor on the Knicks while they are healthy.

Source: Marc Spears on Twitter

The Knicks acquired Shane Larkin in Wednesday's trade with the Mavericks.

He had a couple bright spots in his rookie season, including an 18-point game against the Suns on Jan. 17. Larkin did lose his momentum as the year went on and only played more than 20 minutes in February, March and April with several DNP-CDs on the way. He has some upside and is an option as the second-string point guard behind Jose Calderon.

Samuel Dalembert has been traded to the Knicks.

Only $1.8 million of his $3.9 million is guaranteed, so he's definitely a candidate to be cut, which would help alleviate the Knicks' cap space. Although, the Knicks do not really have a decent center on their roster right now, so he won't be cut unless it's a do-or-die case to make room for a max guy. He'd be a sneaky late-round pick as long as he's still on the Knicks' roster.

Jose Calderon was traded to the Knicks on Wednesday.

While Calderon doesn't come cheap at $7.1 million, the Knicks have been starving for a starting point guard for a long time. He's been among the league leaders in assist:turnover ratio for several years and has led all guards in effective field goal percentage for each of the last two seasons. He already has a very fantasy-friendly game and the move to the Knicks could help him as long as he's able to stay healthy.

Raymond Felton was traded to the Mavericks on Wednesday.

The Mavericks obviously didn't make this deal to bring on Felton and the $3.8 million on his contract this year or the $4.0 on his player option for next season. Last season, Felton turned in career lows for points, field goal percentage, free throw percentage, and steals while his minutes were the fewest he's played since his rookie year in 2005-06. The Mavericks will likely play Monta Ellis at the point a little more, and we're not very bullish on a Felton bounce-back year despite how a change of scenery can only help him.

The Knicks have reached an agreement in principle to send Tyson Chandler and Raymond Felton to the Mavericks in exchange for Jose Calderon, Samuel Dalembert, Shane Larkin, Wayne Ellington, the 34th pick and 51st pick in the 2014 draft.

The Mavericks finally have a reliable center and they also have a little room to play with respect to cap space after they sign Dirk Nowitzki to a new deal. Chandler had one of his best seasons of his career with the Mavericks in 2010-11 on his way to an NBA championship, so he shouldn't have too much of a transition period. His fantasy value holds steady as a late-mid round pick while Brandan Wright's value takes a dip.

"One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Draft begins at 7:30 EST.

What on earth are the Sixers thinking? Coming off of a season they had, that involved a 26 game losing streak, they draft two guys in Embiid and Saric that won't play at all next year? And in the case of Saric, he'll be playing in Turkey for the next TWO seasons. I don't know how they can expect anyone to buy season tickets after this. Taking a flier on one of them I wouldn't like, but I would get it. But BOTH of them? That's insanity.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    What on earth are the Sixers thinking? Coming off of a season they had, that involved a 26 game losing streak, they draft two guys in Embiid and Saric that won't play at all next year? And in the case of Saric, he'll be playing in Turkey for the next TWO seasons. I don't know how they can expect anyone to buy season tickets after this. Taking a flier on one of them I wouldn't like, but I would get it. But BOTH of them? That's insanity.
    I think they are going full Houston Astros.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

The GM of the Sixers came from the Rockets, who basically just drafted best player available even if it didn't make sense. Every player drafted is an asset basically.

To be honest though, what could the Sixers have done any different with the third pick? Wiggins and Parker were gone. Dante Exum and MCW play the same position and really don't complement each other. Julius Randle has injury concerns with his foot. I understand the Saric frustration, but Embiid was the best player available.

It's not like Philly won't have the same cast next season. Nerlens Noel will make his debut next season so there will be some improvement, albeit not much.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    The GM of the Sixers came from the Rockets, who basically just drafted best player available even if it didn't make sense. Every player drafted is an asset basically.

To be honest though, what could the Sixers have done any different with the third pick? Wiggins and Parker were gone. Dante Exum and MCW play the same position and really don't complement each other. Julius Randle has injury concerns with his foot. I understand the Saric frustration, but Embiid was the best player available.

It's not like Philly won't have the same cast next season. Nerlens Noel will make his debut next season so there will be some improvement, albeit not much.
    This. Collect assets. Suck for a bit but if done correctly you end with a James Harden, a Dwight Howard and assets to acquire a third superstar. If you can be patient you can build a title contender this way.

Trust me, it's better than Knicks strategy to trade first round picks away every year so you never truly suck but you are also never a title contender
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    This. Collect assets. Suck for a bit but if done correctly you end with a James Harden, a Dwight Howard and assets to acquire a third superstar. If you can be patient you can build a title contender this way.

Trust me, it's better than Knicks strategy to trade first round picks away every year so you never truly suck but you are also never a title contender
    IF these assets turn out to be assets. We have no idea. What does anyone truly know about Saric and his ability to adapt to life in America and the NBA? Does anyone really know if Noel and Embiid will hold up long term health wise? If all of that pans out they're looking pretty two to three years down the road. Those are some pretty big ifs though in my opinion.

IF these assets turn out to be assets. We have no idea. What does anyone truly know about Saric and his ability to adapt to life in America and the NBA? Does anyone really know if Noel and Embiid will hold up long term health wise? If all of that pans out they're looking pretty two to three years down the road. Those are some pretty big ifs though in my opinion.
    Michael Carter-Williams won Rookie of the Year and Nerlens Noel will technically be a rookie this season. There may not be an immediate improvement but it will be gradual and they can likely attract a marquee free agent to go for the young talent .
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    If Wade renegotiates they'll be back in Miami.
    Wade opts out and I predict the big 3 back together with more help in Miami.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...gent/11630893/
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

So in like the span of an hour of news updates Jason Kidd went from being firmly entrenched as the Nets head coach to seeking more power with Brooklyn to talking with Milwaukee to being hired by Milwaukee?

the hell?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    So in like the span of an hour of news updates Jason Kidd went from being firmly entrenched as the Nets head coach to seeking more power with Brooklyn to talking with Milwaukee to being hired by Milwaukee?

the hell?
    You come at the king, you best not miss.

Kidd's putsch failed and there is almost no scenario where he can go back to coaching the Nets after unsuccessfully trying to poach Billy King's job, so leaving for another gig affords him the opportunity to save some face and saves the Nets the trouble of having to fire him.

16. Likes:

Chip R (06-29-2014)

An interesting financial move by the Hawks. They traded Lou Williams (who may have single-handedly shot them out of the Pacers series last year) and their 2013 1st round pick (a Brazilian with magnificent hair) to the Raptors for John Salmons contract. They will probably buy him out, freeing up more cap room. They seem to be up to something. If they can get one of the bigger names, they can be an intriguing team with a healthy Al Horford.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Turn Off Ads?